Is Tyler Myers one of Benning's worst moves?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What position should the Tyler Myers signing be in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Myers can play, but he’s not going to be any good if the expectation is he is more than a good BOTTOM PAIR D man.
Why does JB keep getting guys via trade or UFA that he expects will magically become better player here?

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Getting a correct answer to your question is like getting an answer to the question will Arsenal FC win the FA cup next season.

We don't know yet. All we can do is take a chill pill and see how it goes. Or you can just boycott the team or something, I dunno.

That's where I am at with Arsenal. My other tire fire.

There are no correct answers here. Only opinions and people bold enough to have one.

Reactions: turkulad

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Getting a correct answer to your question is like getting an answer to the question will Arsenal FC win the FA cup next season.

We don't know yet. All we can do is take a chill pill and see how it goes. Or you can just boycott the team or something, I dunno.

This is why predictive stats are so handy.

For the question at hand, I dont think it is one of his worst moves.

The Miller trade is worse, imho.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
This is an asset that only takes caproom. I personally believe the jt miller trade could end up being worse. Similar cap for the next 4 years, and it cost us a 1st+. Why are we trading our firsts? This could end up a top 10 pick.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
2 or 3. He's basically repeating the Eriksson deal, except for a defenseman.

It sort of is like the Eriksson deal.
The UFA crop that year was abysmal (Lucic / Ladd / Eriksson...) Not the year you should dip in to the deep end for forwards.

This year the same is true for D-men. So not the year I would dip in the deep end.

I dont think he will be as bad as soon as Eriksson but it will end up really bad before the contract runs out.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This is why predictive stats are so handy.

For the question at hand, I dont think it is one of his worst moves.

The Miller trade is worse, imho.

The drafting of Jake and McCann, while missing on Ehlers, Nylander, and Pastrnak should be on that list too.
How many swings and misses does JB get?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Reactions: pomx and Zippgunn

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Jim was the director of scouting for the Bruins before we got him to be our GM. I figured he would know the prospects from his time there, no?

Hmm... That is a fair point.

I dont give GMs a huge chunk of credit for our scouting success and by that logic feel like I cant blame him for our misses either.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?

No where near enough data yet. This could be his absolute worst move, it could just be the bad move many are predicting, or it could be an ok move.

Just seems ridiculous to claim it before he's even played a single game for us.
:help:

Reactions: Draino

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
I think the Miller trade will end up being worse... probably a Top 3 when all is said and done.

Myers will be #8 or so level bad.

But neither have played a game yet, so we’re jumpng the gun here.

Reactions: xtr3m

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hmm... That is a fair point.

I dont give GMs a huge chunk of credit for our scouting success and by that logic feel like I cant blame him for our misses either.

I think Benning was in the role with the Bruins that Bracket is with us? I agree that the GM defers to the guy like Bracket. But in 2014, that was Benning’s role.
Maybe he made a gentlemen’s agreement with the Bruins that he wouldn’t help us with that 2014 draft, because he knew their list?

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
In year 1.

Wait until year 4-5.

It's amazing how so many of the comments on Myers and so many of the arguments are absolutely identical to after Eriksson was signed. It's eerie.

Six million today is not worth as much as it was 3 years ago relative to the salary cap, and it's going to be even less in 4-5 years.

That time we were also in a different stage with mostly older players and Bo Horvat being the only young notable player. Now we've got Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes and Horvat and it's Benning's job to build around them. Eriksson contract was stupid and I think Myers is slightly overpaid (.5-1 mil) but overall it's not that bad.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
I'd want the Canucks to tank over the next few years. Sign only youngsters with potential, and lay off the overpriced free agents like Eriksson, Sutter, etc. And please lay off clueless defenders like Gudbranson. I saw Myers in several games last year. I can see why plenty of Jets fans weren't happy with his play.

But then I also despise the Aquilinis and the real estate/banking/monopoly nexus which lords over Vancouver and just about everywhere else in North America.

Thus as a Canucks fan, it's a bad signing. As someone who views the Canucks owners are parasites, they might as well throw money away at mediocre hockey players. Still not as good as the Aquamen paying their tradesmen and laborers properly, or even taking a loss on their crappy real estate projects, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
In year 1.

Wait until year 4-5.

It's amazing how so many of the comments on Myers and so many of the arguments are absolutely identical to after Eriksson was signed. It's eerie.
And after Ryan Miller.. and Beagle... and Roussel..
basically every contract over 2 yrs except Tanev and Horvat.

Who knew we could be in a season of regret for Tanev's final yr at the time... naahhh.. he should be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad