Is this the year that an Eastern team will be able to take Tampa out?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
But it is facts. Last series Vasi put up a .897 against the Leafs
Yes, Vasi had his worst playoff series in their 3 Cup final runs and Tampa still beat them.

Leafs have every chance of beating Tampa this year but that's not the argument I'd use for it.

Reactions: Hoek and DFC

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So it's the:

Bruins,
Hurricanes,
Devils,
Leafs,
Rangers,
a combination of 2 of the Pens/Islanders/Sabres/Red Wings

Vs. the Lightning?

I will take the field.

I think taking the field is smart - but Tampa to me is 100% still the favorite in any single matchup.

At some point, they will lose. Every team does. But I could very easily see them go all the way again.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This is the strongest the East has been in some time, and the weakest Tampa has been in some time. I'll take the field.

The east was arguably just as strong or even stronger last year.

This is also not the weakest Tampa has been, if you count major injuries. They didn't have Stamkos in 2020, they didn't have Point last year for most of the playoffs. They had Kucherov miss all of the 2021 season.

Assuming they have all their big guns healthy this year, that's a major difference.

Reactions: Hoek and bert

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Does Tampa even care about regular season anymore?

IMHO They're the beasts of the east still.
They deserve the benefit of the doubt for this reason. Honestly the past few games haven’t been great. Hedman does not look like the monster he’s been a year ago. Vasi has more off nights than we’re used to. I could go on and on like that.

The effort has not been there. And it hasn’t on most nights last regular season either. They’re pretty much in cruise control trying to not get injured while maintaining a playoff spot. We’ve seen some very sloppy hockey the past few weeks from them.

The question is what Lightning team will show up in the playoffs. They started slow last time against Toronto and it was a bit too close for my taste in the end. Then they waltzed to the finals. When they’re dialed in they’re arguably the best team in the league. But this team is very hot and cold. Tough to assess them, especially at this time of the year.

All I can say is that the entire East has been loading up at the TDL while we tweaked one or two depth positions. We’ll see if the new blood in Toronto, NY, NJ or Boston will have an impact or mess too much with chemistry. Let’s roll a dice!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No doubt, but Hedman's troubles are, well, troubling, and the team is struggling to dial it in right now. Usually after a terrible game, and especially after two, they come out firing. Right now they look pretty lost, and I honestly dont think Jeannot moved the needle.
They're be firing come April. This happens to teams all the time. Weird that people's memories are so short. Jeannot has played like 1 game. You have an 8 year long sample size for this core group. They'll be ready when it matters.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Tampa is 18-5 in playoff series since 2015, Toronto is 0-6. Crazy how they can't win a single playoff series. Toronto was supposed to be the next best young team after Tampa.

Marner turns 26 this year and hasn't been to the 2nd round, Tampa's core had already been to the finals and 2 other conference finals by the time Kucherov was 25.
Mostly because he and Matthews ghost when the chips are down. They're not even close to being PPG players in the post-season and their production craters when time+space evaporates.

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
Although I am excited for what the Leafs have done, and as much as I hate to say this, no one is beating Boston this year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yes, Vasi had his worst playoff series in their 3 Cup final runs and Tampa still beat them.

Leafs have every chance of beating Tampa this year but that's not the argument I'd use for it.
LOL Hadn't thought of that. But even by the eye test that was Vasy's worst series in years.

Even so, unless TB finds their guts, I expect the Leafs to have a relatively easy time with us. Mind you, we'll take a pound of flesh in 5 games or so.

Mar 26, 2010
Not Toronto, they are going to get smoked in the first round. Tampa in 5.

Boston and the NYR can beat Tampa i believe.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Maybe I’m only catching scores on the wrong nights for Tampa but every time I look at their game sheets, Vasi gets lit up.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Think it's over for Tampa and not because they aren't still good but because the east has 5 other teams who are as good or better. Remember they lost a lot of players over the last few years who were instrumental in the cup runs. I think Toronto gets past the 1st round this year and Boston comes out of the east.

Reactions: DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The east was arguably just as strong or even stronger last year.

This is also not the weakest Tampa has been, if you count major injuries. They didn't have Stamkos in 2020, they didn't have Point last year for most of the playoffs. They had Kucherov miss all of the 2021 season.

Assuming they have all their big guns healthy this year, that's a major difference.
Sort of. We definitely missed Point last year, and Killorn inexplicably had the coldest offensive stretch of his career. I would say we are, at best, on par with last year. As great as it is to see Hagel replace Palat, at least offensively, and Nick Paul has been great (despite limited opportunity), there's a lot of concern over Hedman. If he finds his game by playoff time, we are about even with last year, IMO.

It's hard to make the case that we can get back to the level we were at in the cup years. The main thing is McDonagh, even more so than the Gourde line. He wasn't as good last year, but McDonagh was a low key Conn Smyth candidate in 2021 and we likely don't get to the finals without him.

I don't know what to make of this year. Right now we look LOST. But we do have the ingredients to put it together. One thing you can never take away from this Lightning team is they will sacrificing anything to win. All the stars can and will take on a grinder mentality, which has probably been the biggest key to our success.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I mean, it should be the year, but man am I gonna laugh my ass off if we come out on top despite all the crazy moves everyone else made.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad