Is this the year that an Eastern team will be able to take Tampa out?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yes. Last season Tampa was still trying to defend their championship and had the same core. They lost a big part of their defense in McD, and Vasi looks mortal more and more.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs win in 5.
Do you really believe this? Honestly.

They're still the favorites to me. Best goalie, hardest team in the league to play against. The most experience.

Pretty obviously. Toronto will be a heavy favorite over then. Tampa really isn't a contender anymore if you've been following this season.
They are 5th in the entire league only 4 points behind Toronto. Have gone to 3 straight SCF and has their entire core back. Hilarious comment really.

Obviously its more likely than not that they dont win the east but to suggest they dont have a chance or arent right there with everyone else is silly.

Reactions: cowboy82nd

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Tampa has taken a step back this year, but not a team I would bet against.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Do you really believe this? Honestly.

They're still the favorites to me. Best goalie, hardest team in the league to play against. The most experience.

Of course I do. My team is all in I believe in them. No one will ever give the Leafs credit until they do it so I am not looking for it.

But it is facts. Last series Vasi put up a .897 against the Leafs and they lost their best shutdown defender in McD. That is 100% factual. I've been watching a lot of Tampa games lately, and they are completely beatable.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Of course I do. My team is all in I believe in them. No one will ever give the Leafs credit until they do it so I am not looking for it.

But it is facts. Last series Vasi put up a .897 against the Leafs and they lost their best shutdown defender in McD. That is 100% factual. I've been watching a lot of Tampa games lately, and they are completely beatable.
Toronto is the better and faster team, but goaltending can make a huge difference in this series

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Tough to say. I like the moves Toronto has made but if it comes down to Vasi vs Samsonov or Murray in another game 7 it’s hard not to pick Tampa. They have a big advantage in net and I think it’s unlikely that Vasi has another bad first round like last year.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I would say Boston likely takes out Tampa. With Orlov, I'd choose Bostons blueline over Tampas 1-8 and Ulmark has been lights out all season long, will no doubt win the Vezina. Ulmark in his current form could go toe to toe with Vasi in net and match him save for save.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
As a Tb fan, I think the Leafs are gonna a have a much easier series than last year. Maybe 5 games.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The way Toronto has set themselves up, I think this is the year that Tampa gets out early. The only thing I question will be if Samsonov is able to elevate his game in the postseason.

Now, if they go out and make a goalie move to upgrade the backup situation as a failsafe, I think it would resolve a lot of the questions I have.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Boston in round 2 is a real possibility.

Round 1 is even a possibility given how much the Leafs are loading up. Of course, they still might not break the curse, but you'd think they might be the favourites to win that series now.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I mean the leafs havent won a playoff series in 19 years and you think its likely they beat the lightning in 5 games. Same lightning team that has won 11 series over the last 3 years....

Do you think that Vasilevski will repeat the worst series of his career again? Seems like a strange thing to count on.

You are basing Tampa's projected performance on regular season games.... Like come on. They have played more hockey than anyone by far in the last 5 years they arent going pedal to the medal all regular season long. They know what it takes.

I think the leafs can definitely win but your logic you're using isnt very realistic.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I mean the leafs havent won a playoff series in 19 years and you think its likely they beat the lightning in 5 games. Same lightning team that has won 11 series over the last 3 years....

Do you think that Vasilevski will repeat the worst series of his career again? Seems like a strange thing to count on.

You are basing Tampa's projected performance on regular season games.... Like come on. They have played more hockey than anyone by far in the last 5 years they arent going pedal to the medal all regular season long. They know what it takes.

I think the leafs can definitely win but your logic you're using isnt very realistic.

Let me know when history continuously repeats itself in sports. Players are chokers and losers until they aren't.

You don't think I am aware of the playoff history? I am telling you I think this team beats them. And if it goes to 7, then who cares they are still winning

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Let me know when history continuously repeats itself in sports. Players are chokers and losers until they aren't.

You don't think I am aware of the playoff history? I am telling you I think this team beats them. And if it goes to 7, then who cares they are still winning
I think the leafs can definitely win but you are making it sound like its going to be easy. Which Tampa will absolutely not be an easy out for anyone.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
As a Tb fan, I think the Leafs are gonna a have a much easier series than last year. Maybe 5 games.

Not sure about 5 games unless Tampa really shows fatigue and no motivation right from game 1 and Toronto wins the first 2 games. Tampa has showed over the years that they're the most resilient group out there. Even the Avs struggled a bit knocking them out last playoffs because Tampa got noticably better as the cup final progressed and they started to adjust their game to handle the Avs speed.

Tampa plays their best when they're facing elimination. And they beat you down physically in the entire series, I wouldn't want to face them in round 1.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not sure about 5 games unless Tampa really shows fatigue and no motivation right from game 1 and Toronto wins the first 2 games. Tampa has showed over the years that they're the most resilient group out there. Even the Avs struggled a bit knocking them out last playoffs because Tampa got noticably better as the cup final progressed and they started to adjust their game to handle the Avs speed.

Tampa plays their best when they're facing elimination.
No doubt, but Hedman's troubles are, well, troubling, and the team is struggling to dial it in right now. Usually after a terrible game, and especially after two, they come out firing. Right now they look pretty lost, and I honestly dont think Jeannot moved the needle.

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
I say Leafs win this year. Probably the cup too, but if for some reason they lose again this year with what they have then this core will never win anything. Mentally broken

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I have watched maybe 8-10 TBL games this year. Small sample size, but they don't look like the same team, at all. I would still not say they are finished, because teams like that seem to know when to play big when necessary, but they certainly appear vulnerable, and there are 6 contenders in the east that would all be a challenge to get through.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
No doubt, but Hedman's troubles are, well, troubling, and the team is struggling to dial it in right now. Usually after a terrible game, and especially after two, they come out firing. Right now they look pretty lost, and I honestly dont think Jeannot moved the needle.

Your guys might find that missing gear when the postseason rolls around and the stakes ratchet up. It's hard to get a read on things this time of year when your team has (essentially even if not officially) clinched a playoff spot. Both clubs are still just separated by four points. I still think the series between Toronto and Tampa will be close, maybe a coin flip.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
My advanced stats say this:
1677703432938.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad