Is the Calgary Flames rebuild ahead of the Edmonton Oilers

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
They're the worst team in the league until they prove that they're not. I'm not holding my breath.

So, I guess they proved that every season since 2010-11? They technically haven't been the worst team in the league since then, so you can exhale.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The Flames made the playoffs a year ago. Edmonton hasn't been able to stay out of the bottom 5 two years in a row for a decade.

The Oilers' offense has finished 26th, 26th, 25th, 18th, 19th, and 28th since the rebuild officially began with the selection of Taylor Hall.

I can't believe people are still giving the Oilers a free pass at potential after all these years. They're the worst team in the league until they prove that they're not. I'm not holding my breath.

so, the Leafs made it in 2013..I guess their re-build is way ahead too?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Edmonton: Adding McDavid, Puljujarvi, Lucic, and Larsson was huge for that team. They're in a position to start winning. Their cap situation could get messy, but they'll deal with it when the time comes. Plenty of depth on offense, defense is coming along (but not quite there), and Talbot appears to be a capable #1. I think they still need a top pairing guy, but Klefbom may be able to fill that in the next few seasons. One thing is certain though, and that's that this team needs to start getting results NOW.

Calgary: Some strong pieces in place so far. Should have great center depth. Top 3 defense is very good. Bottom 6 not so much, but there are a few key prospects that could fill that void in a year or so. They still lack a top 6 winger. Tons of cap space off the books next offseason, it will be interesting to see what they do with it. The goaltending should be much better this season. I give them another year or two before they're a contender.

I'd say the Oilers are ahead (granted, they've been rebuilding longer). Offensively, they're a deeper team. Calgary has better high end dmen, but the Oilers defensive group is underrated. Davidson is a solid #4. Adding Larsson really strengthens that top pairing. Nurse should do better this year too. Calgary's rebuild has definitely been going well though. The Battle of Alberta is going to be great again.

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
The Oilers' offense has finished 26th, 26th, 25th, 18th, 19th, and 28th since the rebuild officially began with the selection of Taylor Hall.

The lack of goals has been because of the lack of good puck moving D. The forward talent is there, but they have spent too much time in their own zone and the D haven't been very good at moving the puck up.

The organization has quite obviously been addressing that, so it would be silly to assume the problem will remain the exact same. How much will it be improved? Who knows. But I expect some.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
So, I guess they proved that every season since 2010-11? They technically haven't been the worst team in the league since then, so you can exhale.

Total wins since 2010-11

25. Coyotes, 202
26. Panthers, 197
27. Maple Leafs, 195
28. Hurricanes, 193
29. Sabres, 182
30. Oilers, 160

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
and they added depth on the wings to along with a decent puck-mover and he'll play lower in the line-up and get soft minutes

plus, you've already called Draisaitl Kevin Hayes before so your "scouting" of him should be taken by a grain of salt

Funny, even after his rookiesophomore season, Draisaitl is trending towards EXACTLY Kevin Hayes minute for minute. :laugh:

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
Total wins since 2010-11

25. Coyotes, 202
26. Panthers, 197
27. Maple Leafs, 195
28. Hurricanes, 193
29. Sabres, 182
30. Oilers, 160

That's a funny system. Why not go back further - to 2000? To 1990? To 1980? What does total wins over a chunk of years even mean?

Actually, yeah, wins since 1980. Now the Oilers are one of the best teams in the league! Wow, what a system you've created.

You claimed the Oilers are the worst team in the league, but technically that hasn't been true for a while. Bad, sure. On average, very bad. But the worst? No way, Jose. :yo::yo::yo::yo::yo:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Puj and McDavid is going to be deadly for years to come.

I like Calgary's defensive future more than any other team save for Nashville.

Honestly comes down to whether Edmonton solidifies their defence first or Calgary acquires a great goalie first (Elliott is a placeholder)

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Puj and McDavid is going to be deadly for years to come.

I like Calgary's defensive future more than any other team save for Nashville.

Honestly comes down to whether Edmonton solidifies their defence first or Calgary acquires a great goalie first (Elliott is a placeholder)

Elliott is a placeholder for now. He may wind up being that future starter if he does well. I also have high hopes for Gillies. I wouldn't rule out Chad Johnson either, but I wouldn't bet on him.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
That's a funny system. Why not go back further - to 2000? To 1990? To 1980? What does total wins over a chunk of years even mean?

Actually, yeah, wins since 1980. Now the Oilers are one of the best teams in the league! Wow, what a system you've created.

You claimed the Oilers are the worst team in the league, but technically that hasn't been true for a while. Bad, sure. On average, very bad. But the worst? No way, Jose. :yo::yo::yo::yo::yo:

I backed up my claim with evidence. If you'd like to bring some to the table on why the Oilers haven't been a complete embarrassment of a hockey team since this "rebuild" started, go right ahead.

Flamester

Aug 9, 2011
calgary
Edmonton is in the right direction now . The Hall trade needed to happen regardless of who they were getting. They gota trade one more piece for a dman and they think they will be a legit contender in the new couple of years. Maybe Hopkins for #2 Dman who knows.

Calgary Has everything to be a legit contender in a year or two. They got a great goalie in Gillies who will be ready next year. they got 3 great centerman in Monahan, Bennet, Tkatchuk. they got Gaudreau and Mangiapane who will be there top wingers for the next 10 years and they have one of the best defensive pairing in the league. Calgary will just keep getting better and better as they years go by .

Calgary is ahead as of now but we will see what happens after this season. I have a feeling Edmonton is gona break out this year, I think even though they got fleeced, the Hall move needed to happen. This is Mcdavid team for the next 10 years and its gona be so sick to watch the battle of alberta battle it out in the playoffs for the years to come. kinda rooting for both teams this year, hopefully they kick ass and make the post season.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Before this offseason, I'd have said Calgary was ahead. Edmonton's offseason was ****ing huge though.

Pulji is a nice addition of course but the other one's are still up in the air.

If Larsson turns out to only be a #3 quality defense. They are sacrificing Halls 25-30 goals for Lucic's 20. Healthy McDavid should be able to make up that difference but the net gain isn't huge. If Leon's goals take a hit without Hall you could be breaking even with goals for even with penciling in McDavid getting 35 goals.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

If Larsson turns out to only be a #3 quality defense. They are sacrificing Halls 25-30 goals for Lucic's 20. Healthy McDavid should be able to make up that difference but the net gain isn't huge. If Leon's goals take a hit without Hall you could be breaking even with goals for even with penciling in McDavid getting 35 goals.

if Lucic plays with McDavid all season, I think he could get 25 goals....I also think a healthy Eberle easily gets 30 last year...and playing with McDavid should mean he gets near 30 goals this year

a healthy Pouliot and a healthy Klefbom should also contribute to more offense

EDIT: Also think a healthy RNH will get close to 20 goals

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
if Lucic plays with McDavid all season, I think he could get 25 goals....I also think a healthy Eberle easily gets 30 last year...and playing with McDavid should mean he gets near 30 goals this year

a healthy Pouliot and a healthy Klefbom should also contribute to more offense

EDIT: Also think a healthy RNH will get close to 20 goals

Ya who knows about them. I was just looking at the people in the transactions plus McDavid for 80 games.

Broissoit playing 30-35 games must be terrifying as well. Talbot is going to have to play out of his mind just for the Oilers goaltending to be the same as last year.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
This is totally wrong.

Edmonton had 3 first overalls, a 3rd overall, a 7th overall and Eberle and a Vezina finalist goalie (Dubnyk) and it led them nowhere but to McDavid.

Even with McDavid, we were bottom 3 in the league.

1st overalls and wait is not a successful strategy... we've proven that. Past management has proven that. Hall is 6 years into the league and is an above average 1st overall.... still hasn't seen the playoffs.

If Chia's team has any success, he must deserve some credit for changing the strategy. "Overpaying" for Lucic. "Overpaying" for Sekera. "Missing out" on PK/Weber. Trading for "not proven" Talbot. Getting "slow as molasses" Maroon. Getting "off ice liability" Kassian. "Losing" the Hall-Larsson trade. "Failing" to trade Yakupov for a 2nd rounder.

These are all the moves/non-moves that he has being held responsible for. If he's held responsible for these AND they lead to the playoffs or close to it, then the record must show that his intervention helped.

Technically we had 2 first overall picks. 1 first overall pick that became a bust. 7th overall pick that was still in junior (Nurse) and Dubnyk was an average/below average NHL starter. He had a hot year when he was a Vezina finalist..has since come back to earth..

Management that didn't know a hockey stick from a pencil is why our rebuilt went to **** .

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Your comment is really odd, even for a trolling statement... but:

This link shows the top pts/60 last year... Draisaitl is 74th in the NHL. Hayes is 148th... so how EXACTLY is Draisaitl trending towards Kevin Hayes "minute for minute"?

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-points-per-60-min-leaders/2015/

Misleading, Edmonton had the most inflated secondary assists in the NHL. AINEC because their defense is so non-contributing. Draisaitl was a secondary assist superstar but without Hall to make the primary play that is going to dry up.

5v5 Primary Points per 60
Draisaitl - 1.40
Hayes - 1.38

5v4 Primary Point per 60

Draisaitl - 2.57
Hayes - 2.85

Yeah, like I said before last season even started (which is when I compared Draisaitl / Hayes), Draisaitl will likely be a similar calibre player to Hayes.

As for centre/winger, both players played both positions last year. With McDavid and Hopkins healthy it is likely Draisaitl returns to the wing. Unless you think Draisaitl is going to produce like a 50 point forward from centering the third line, last player to do that was Seguin and Draisaitl is no Seguin.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Edmonton is in the right direction now . The Hall trade needed to happen regardless of who they were getting. They gota trade one more piece for a dman and they think they will be a legit contender in the new couple of years. Maybe Hopkins for #2 Dman who knows.

Calgary Has everything to be a legit contender in a year or two. They got a great goalie in Gillies who will be ready next year. they got 3 great centerman in Monahan, Bennet, Tkatchuk. they got Gaudreau and Mangiapane who will be there top wingers for the next 10 years and they have one of the best defensive pairing in the league. Calgary will just keep getting better and better as they years go by .

Calgary is ahead as of now but we will see what happens after this season. I have a feeling Edmonton is gona break out this year, I think even though they got fleeced, the Hall move needed to happen. This is Mcdavid team for the next 10 years and its gona be so sick to watch the battle of alberta battle it out in the playoffs for the years to come. kinda rooting for both teams this year, hopefully they kick ass and make the post season.

Assuming you meant Backlund? Mangiapane is far from a sure thing. He's a boom/bust type prospect.

Lucic brings a lot more to the table than goals. He fills a lot more voids than Hall did.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Misleading, Edmonton had the most inflated secondary assists in the NHL. AINEC because their defense is so non-contributing. Draisaitl was a secondary assist superstar but without Hall to make the primary play that is going to dry up.

5v5 Primary Points per 60
Draisaitl - 1.40
Hayes - 1.38

5v4 Primary Point per 60

Draisaitl - 2.57
Hayes - 2.85

Yeah, like I said before last season even started (which is when I compared Draisaitl / Hayes), Draisaitl will likely be a similar calibre player to Hayes.

As for centre/winger, both players played both positions last year. With mcDavid healthy it is likely Draisaitl returns to the wing.

So no age/development effects to be considered here?
Draisaitl is what he is? Age 20?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad