Is the Calgary Flames rebuild ahead of the Edmonton Oilers

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
So you're asking if people think something, and then your entire evidence is based on (1) something not happening that's already happened, and (2) something in the future happening?

"Is Calgary's rebuild ahead of Edmonton's? If Edmonton hadn't gotten McDavid, and if Calgary gets a top-five pick next June, then it's close?"

I'm so confused.

Last edited:

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
This is going to be hilarious!

Cap situations of both teams going forward is one of most interesting parts of the conversation.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
The Flames have better goaltending (now) and defense. They have a few great forwards as well. They're ahead. They're also doing it better. The Oilers are the most poorly managed team in hockey. All of the success they may (or may not) achieve they can credit 100% to being ****** for a decade and drafting (and occassionally ruining) talent.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Flames are the better team in 16/17 but the Oilers have the brighter future. Once the Oilers move a few more wingers to fill other holes they will take that next step.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
This is going to be hilarious!

Cap situations of both teams going forward is one of most interesting parts of the conversation.

Calgary should be fine. Only a goalie and Bennett left to pay next year and then we have three years before we have to pay Tkachuk. We will most likely lose Backlund though. Hoping Bennett and Jankowski make that easier to swallow

Our prospect depth is enough to fill in a lot of holes with ELCs.

Oilers are in a lot more trouble. McDavid and Leon aren't going to be cheap and unless Klefbom and Larsson can be a legit top pairing they are going to need to upgrade there.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
A article from the Edmonton Journal, comparing the two team cores, the Edmonton Oilers rebuild is ahead but Edmonton should be shamed because they got all those high picks and still could not do anything, if not for McDavid the oilers would be behind.

If the Flames can grab a top 5 pick in the coming draft, then I think they are close.

https://www.google.ca/amp/edmontonj...ames-rebuild-ahead-of-the-edmonton-oilers/amp

So if the Flames are one of the worst teams in the league this season, that will improve the speed of their rebuild?

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
I thought for sure the Oilers would improve with the acquisition of McDavid. But they finished 29th. The Flames made the playoffs in 2015 and with improved goaltending I would suspect them to be at minimum a bubble playoff team. Until the Oilers figure out a way to get out of the basement of the league on a consistent basis, I don't know how anyone can have them ahead.

It's a results oriented business, whatever is written on paper just doesn't cut it for me. I have heard the same Oilers will be better spiel for the last 7 years now. Time to put up or shut up, enough talk.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
So if the Flames are one of the worst teams in the league this season, that will improve the speed of their rebuild?

If we're bottom 5 this year there is something seriously wrong. I would be crushed. I can look at last year and see where we went wrong and how most of the problems are easy fixes. If those fixes don't work I don't even know what to think.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Neither is.

I think Calgary has had better management in the last 5 years.

Whether Edmonton is on track now with Chiarelli, remains to be seen.

I dont think either franchise has done much in the last 8 years so neither one should feel too proud of themselves. Though I think both are trending upwards now.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
The Flames have better goaltending (now) and defense. They have a few great forwards as well. They're ahead. They're also doing it better. The Oilers are the most poorly managed team in hockey. All of the success they may (or may not) achieve they can credit 100% to being ****** for a decade and drafting (and occassionally ruining) talent.

This is totally wrong.

Edmonton had 3 first overalls, a 3rd overall, a 7th overall and Eberle and a Vezina finalist goalie (Dubnyk) and it led them nowhere but to McDavid.

Even with McDavid, we were bottom 3 in the league.

1st overalls and wait is not a successful strategy... we've proven that. Past management has proven that. Hall is 6 years into the league and is an above average 1st overall.... still hasn't seen the playoffs.

If Chia's team has any success, he must deserve some credit for changing the strategy. "Overpaying" for Lucic. "Overpaying" for Sekera. "Missing out" on PK/Weber. Trading for "not proven" Talbot. Getting "slow as molasses" Maroon. Getting "off ice liability" Kassian. "Losing" the Hall-Larsson trade. "Failing" to trade Yakupov for a 2nd rounder.

These are all the moves/non-moves that he has being held responsible for. If he's held responsible for these AND they lead to the playoffs or close to it, then the record must show that his intervention helped.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Better built and better manage

But will be hard to screw up a team with McDavid and Puljujarvi ont t even though Chia seems to trying his best to do just that

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I think there is a common misconception here that all first overalls are equal. They are not.
this

just cause the Oilers have had 4 first overalls, doesn't mean they're automatically all going to be superstars...

as lucky as they have been getting #1's...they picked the two "worst" #1's since Erik Johnson in RNH and Yakupov (although RNH will be and is a good player, but not a franchise talent)
in a sense, they picked the wrong years to win the lottery:laugh:

we can't talk about how crappy the Oilers drafting and development is (and it was awful) but they also didn't land a Ekblad or a Tavares or Stamkos when they took RNH and Yakupov

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I like the overall core of the Flames better (building from defence out), but it's tough to argue against the influence a generational talent can have, and the Oilers goaltending and defence HAVE come a long way in the past two seasons. Both should have a large improvement compared to last season, so it'll be interesting to see where they fall.

nerblet

Aug 9, 2015

I wouldn't say they have better goaltending. They are equal to me until the season is underway

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
One thing that hasn't been touched on, is our drafting. The last 5 years our drafting has been fantastic. We used to always trade our 2nd rounder and then pick for size in the later rounds. It never worked out.

Since 2011 I have really approved of the choices they have been making. Button is a really good head scout. Compared to the Oilers who probably have the worst outside the 1st round drafting in the league.

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
It all depends how you define terms. Calgary was the "better" team last year and might be again this year. But Edmonton, to me, has the higher ceiling. And that is more important going forward.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
They have a more balanced and therefore better rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad