Is Shane Doan finally done?!

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
What do you mean by that, how was his career a waste?

Maybe because he wasn't a Leaf?? :dunno:

Some people are simply going to hate for the sake of it. Doaner had multiple opportunities to move over to a cup contender over the past three or four years and turned them all down. At this stage of his career his family comes first and foremost. That may be hard for some people to understand but when you look at teammate Radim Vrbata who has three children, each with a different country of citizenship (and as he put it, getting through customs is fun) you begin to cherish what you have more.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Captain Doan is the Last active player of Winnipeg Jets 1.0

Rather big proportion of current NHL players were learning pincer grip and playing with toy cars when he was playing in NHL. Some perspective and some respect, please.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't like Shane Doan the player one iota but I respect the hell out of his loyalty and what he's done for the franchise and the community. If this is the end of the road for him, so be it, but one can never accuse him of 'wasting' his career trying to lead one team he's fiercely loyal to through thick and thin on ice and off.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
**** this guy, always hated him, but props for the longevity.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Getting out of the 1st round once in his career. And playing in half full arenas.

I wish I could waste my (not yet begun) career like him. Jeez. The man has lived his dream, played loyally for one organization his whole career, made millions of dollars, played the game he loves, etc. The guy chose to stay with the Yotes multiple times when he was under no obligation to stay.

Hard to call that a waste. Or is it a "waste" every single time a good-great player doesn't win a Cup?

I don't like Shane Doan the player one iota but I respect the hell out of his loyalty and what he's done for the franchise and the community. If this is the end of the road for him, so be it, but one can never accuse him of 'wasting' his career trying to lead one team he's fiercely loyal to through thick and thin on ice and off.

You put it more eloquently than I.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I have always loved this guy. Even when he spurned a reported deal the sabres offered. He was dirty but I was sheltered from it being on the east coast. He's had a hell of a career and his loyalty is unheard of in this day and age. I wish him nothing but the best moving forward.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

I agree. I would argue that he has had a pretty darn good career. He may not be a Hall of Famer, but he certainly deserves a lot of respect for his leadership and being a consistent performer and rock for his team. Not a waste at all just because he played in front of less fans in Arizona than some sold out venue in Canada. I'm sure that Shane Doan doesn't regret a thing about it and also wouldn't care much for that kind of glory.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That's correct, he was never an elite player. He was a very good player and for a very long time, even just last year. But he was also really overrated at one time. Especially when I had a half a dozen people telling me 4 or 5 years ago that he was better than Patrik Elias and that just wasn't true at all. I'm not trying to knock him as a player, he was just never elite.
Doan has been a very good player, but it's fair to say he was never among the elite players in hockey

He's averaged .64 PPG over his career through 1479 games

To put that in perspective, Ray Whitney had a .80 PPG average through 1330 games
This!

To say Doan was elite is not accurate. Did he had a few seasons that would be considered ''Elite''? Absolutely. But I never considered him in the elite echelon of forwards.

That said, I think 13 games (or whatever he's played this year) is a little premature to be pulling the plug on him. It might be a little less premature than for some, since he's a 40 year old player, but still a little premature.

There's a lot of streaks early in the year at this time. Some good players on cold streaks and some middling and so-so players on ridiculous hot streaks. Dale Weise from last year says hello on that side of the coin.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
I respect him for his loyalty to one team that has been above average very rarely in his career but the sooner he and his elbows are gone from this league, the better.

Good riddance.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
By definition NHL as a whole is the very Elite. No random beer league player can be ever chosen to long term Captain of the NHL franchise. Every single buddy of course have staying power to play nearly 1500 games for a NHL team, sure. Doesn't those things also constitute part of the meaning of Elite?

How it feels utterly ridiculous to even point out this kind obvious facts?

For a professional hockey player he isn't elite. When talking about hockey players and talking about them being elite people don't use elite in comparison to a beer league player it is compared to each other so that means Doan is compared to other NHL players.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Getting out of the 1st round once in his career. And playing in half full arenas.

What if his dream was to raise the Cup for Arizona?

He may not have achieved it, but you can't really waste a career if you're doing exactly what you want to do. Hell, his loyalty has basically immortalized him within Arizona sports culture and guaranteed that he'll be the first in the Yotes era to be raised into the rafters. That's a unique legacy that even a few Cups can't hope to match.

Last edited:

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
They usually stick around a year too long these days, not surprisingly Shane Doan is no different. It's just too much money not to take. Great player until age 40 though, very impressive. Great career, good guy by all accounts.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Not with his stats. Shane Doan is a loser plain and simple.

Have you ever stopped to think about the points he would put up if he wasn't playing on such a horrible organization? Shane Doan gets my respect. He stayed with the organization through thick and thin because the organization gave him a chance to flourish. He raised his family there.... He's a part of the community.. To me, Shane Doan seems to be the ultimate winner in life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad