Is Shane Doan finally done?!

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Don't like Doan, but I strongly disagree with the notion that his career was a waste. I think he's probably the best example in recent memory of a love-him-if-he's-on-your-team player.

I think it'd be cool if Winnipeg grabbed him at the deadline, but otherwise he should retire as a Coyote.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
You should thank Doan. He's a big part of why you have Auston Matthews right now. You might not know that Matthews actually grew up in Arizona and got into hockey because he watched Doan and the coyotes play hockey.

lol you make it sound like he was insulting Doan :S and again, strawman, unrelated.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Not sure. I couldn't even believe he scored as much as he did last season, considering he was never really a very elite player.

it would be pretty laughable to say shane doan was once an elite player

it looks like time has finally caught up to him. on one hand, having that much loyalty to one organization your entire career is remarkable and as respectful as you can get but on the other hand, you can't help but feel bad for the guy. played almost his entire career on below-average teams and never made it out of the first round of the playoffs

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
Most NHL Games Played with Single Franchise:

Rank | Player | Franchise | GP
1|Gordie Howe|Detroit Red Wings|1687
2|Nicklas Lidstrom|Detroit Red Wings|1564
3|Alex Delvecchio|Detroit Red Wings|1549
4|Ray Bourque|Boston Bruins|1518
5|Steve Yzerman|Detroit Red Wings|1514
6| Shane Doan |Arizona Coyotes|1479
7|Mike Modano|Dallas Stars|1459
8|John Bucyk|Boston Bruins|1436
9|Patrick Marleau|San Jose Sharks|1425
10|Stan Mikita|Chicago Blackhawks|1394
11|Joe Sakic|Colorado Avalanche|1378
12|Ken Daneyko|New Jersey Devils|1283
13|Martin Brodeur |New Jersey Devils|1259
14|Henri Richard|Montreal Canadiens|1256
15|Patrik Elias|New Jersey Devils|1240
16|Jarome Iginla|Calgary Flames|1219
17|Larry Robinson|Montreal Canadiens|1202
18|Gilbert Perreault|Buffalo Sabres|1191
19|George Armstrong|Toronto Maple Leafs|1187
20|Ron Francis|Carolina Hurricanes|1186

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Oh that didnt take long for a shot at the Leafs :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

You're kidding, right? After 4-5 posts about how a guy wasted a career because Phoenix, that's what you take umbrage with? Leaf fans in (unfortunately not) rare form in this one. Sheesh.

A rarity in the game these days to see anywhere near that number of games and they're all with one team.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Heck of a player, sure made Oiler fans cry for years when the Oilers took Steve Kelly over Doan. I'll never forget that draft.

"With the (insert #OA) pick the Oilers are proud to select"
Edmonton Crowd: "DOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAANNNNN"
"Steve Kelly"

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
What a waste of a career.

wait....what
slap.gif

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Probably in the same way Sundin wasted his career on the Leafs?

Sundin was actually a good player though, not just an average top-6 winger for a long time.

Doan's fame is the result of being the face of the franchise, not for his play. Plenty of guys have long careers but don't get this much attention - e.g. Ray Whitney. Imagine how little we'd talk about Doan if he had switched teams a couple times.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
"What a waste of a career". What a joke statement to make. How dare he show loyalty to the organization and have the decency to not uproot his family just for the opportunity to win a trophy. Get some perspective my god. Just playing as long as he did in the best hockey league in the world should be considered a great career, a privilege that very few people get to experience.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Doan has ZERO 10 point finishes he has been a good player just not elite.

By definition NHL as a whole is the very Elite. No random beer league player can be ever chosen to long term Captain of the NHL franchise. Every single buddy of course have staying power to play nearly 1500 games for a NHL team, sure. Doesn't those things also constitute part of the meaning of Elite?

How it feels utterly ridiculous to even point out this kind obvious facts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad