Is Quinton Byfield a Bust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Had 55 points as a 21 year old last year. Looked good in the limited games I saw him in.

Maybe the expectation that a young player is going to set the world on fire at a young age is unreasonable.
Didn’t QB play on Kopitars wing much of last year? Now he’s trying to play the 2C role. Big challenge. Maybe he’s better suited to be the 3C?

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Is Lafreniere? He had 2 more pts last season than Byfield.
Take away PP time last season and it's 51 points for Laf. 41 points for Byfield. Regardless of this, Laf is better. Byfield is fine though.

Last edited:

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
How can a guy who got 55 points as a 21 year old be considered a bust?

Especially when he's 6'5 225; large players usually take longer to develop.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

AppreciateHockey

Dec 12, 2023

Especially in this roadrunner league we are in now. Also, the Kings are not all offense like the Oilers or Stars. They are more like the Predators so forwards tend to get less points anyway. Put McDavid on the Kings and he won´t sniff 140 points.

Herby

Thank You, Team 144
Feb 27, 2002
Wisconsin
He's gotten progressively better, not worse, over the last two years, but some of the praise last year was a bit premature. He benefitted a lot by playing with Kopitar and Kempe and, unsurprisingly, he's not having the same success away from them this season. I'm sure that he'll eventually get going as the team gets going, but that's part of the issue. He still isn't a difference maker, and you hope for that from a #2-overall pick. He can certainly still get there, though. He's slowly improving. It's just happening more slowly than most of us expected.

I think the original post calling him a bust way way over the top, but as far as your response, I could not agree more.

There was a bit to much hype for a 20G, 50Pt season (playing wing) last year. He is a quality player, but you had people on our home board saying they'd take him over Jack Hughes, and that is just IMO way off base. He is still quite a ways behind the guy picked right after him, much less Jack Hughes.

I think when he fully develops, he will be a quality championship caliber 2nd line center, but when you are picking that high in the draft, the expectation has to be that you are getting a franchise 1C. The Kings will end up with a good 2C and 3C from their back to back Top 5 pick centers, and that is a problem because the brain-dead management of the Kings ended their rebuild to soon and passed up on being able to land the future 1C that would have been available in later drafts (specifically the 2023 draft). If you add a Will Smith or Fantilli to LA's rebuild, the future of the franchise down the middle is very strong, but Rob Blake and Luc Robitaille chose black hole first round exits instead of a slow accumulation of assets (this cost them Faber as well)

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Not even 10% into the season. A young guy trying to adjust to his role on the team. A little snakebitten in the games I've watched him play. Hard to call him a bust. My money is still on him becoming at minimum an above average NHLer.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Why open a thread about a topic when you clearly have never watched a kings game in your life

OP should be revoked his thread opening rights

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Do you not know what bust means? 20 goals at 21 years old isn't a bust. He could settle in as a pedestrian 50 point forward for the rest of his career and that still isn't a bust. Get out of here with that kind of thing.

You can argue draft position if you want. But I'd still argue his draft position was fine. He's on pace career wise with lots of other players taken in the 1st round his year.
If someone is projected to be a superstar and that level is not reached then he could be considered a bust.

Byfield >>> Stutzle
Based on what logic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad