Prospect Info: #69(nice)OA - Hurricanes select LHD Alexander Nikishin (Spartak - KHL)

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I just don't see him playing this year with KHL schedule (later playoffs this year, Mar 26 to May 25, 2025), Canes filled at the inn with Left D + is he playing a man to man system right now? As we have seen with others, it would be tough to bring him into the playoff lineup without some experience in our system.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
It would be nice to get him over here asap to get him acclimated to the team, smaller ice, and if he does not speak English yet, to have Pytor and Andrei as familiar faces to help with the transition. Although don't almost all high level prospects learn at least some English?

Reactions: Stickpucker

Remparts666

Feb 11, 2021
Regardless of whether or not he plays a couple of games this year, he'll one full year with his entry level contract before being an RFA for 2026-2027 (given his age)?? Is that what it is?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Bring in Nikishin and trade Orlov at the deadline for a prospect or picks to someone desperate.

Or if we can get him here before, do the same for whatever
He wouldn't be coming over until the KHL season is over, and it their regular ends several weeks after the deadline. And Nikishin has spoken about how he still really wants to win a KHL championship.

Unlikely that he would be able to come over until the playoffs. Which means... oh darn, no more salary cap.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Bring in Nikishin and trade Orlov at the deadline for a prospect or picks to someone desperate.

Or if we can get him here before, do the same for whatever
Not a crazy idea but timing is off.

Orlov doesn't have a NT clause in his contract but please note TDL is 3/25. Plus, I don’t think we would get a good asset in return.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Not a crazy idea but timing is off.

Orlov doesn't have a NT clause in his contract but please note TDL is 3/25. Plus, I don’t think we would get a good asset in return.
Not that I’m advocating trading Orlov, but if the Canes fall out of playoff contention for whatever reasons AND they’re willing to eat 50% of Orlov’s salary, I bet they’d get at least a 2nd+ for his services from a contending team. I suppose it’s subjective as to whether or not one thinks of that as a “good” return. He’s still a top 4 D on every team in the league.

In that same vein, I bet they’d get a good return for Burns too, if it came to that.

All that said, I think things would have to go disastrously off the rails for the Canes to miss the playoffs, so likely moot.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Honestly I think even if his KHL season ends early enough for him to come over here for our playoffs I don't think Rod would even play him at all. Would be nice to get him signed and with the team but I doubt we see him play for us before next season opening night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad