Prospect Info: #69(nice)OA - Hurricanes select LHD Alexander Nikishin (Spartak - KHL)

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Of course. I know this is an unpopular opinion but I think Wilson has been treated overly harshly by the league due to a reputation he didn't fully earn. But that's just me.

I expect Nikishin to bring his physical game over here and immediately step in as the biggest hitter in the league, but I don't think he will make that his identity here like those guys. He has enough skill and talent in all other aspects that he doesn't need to. He could completely eliminate the big hits from his game and still have the potential to be an elite all around 2-way 1D like a Hedman. The huge hits just add to that and there's no coach I trust more to help him find the right balance than RBA.
Didn't Tom Wilson basically become a thing as retaliation to the Pens having guys like Matt Cooke repeatedly injure guys on the Caps when the two teams were battling for division and conference titles?

I cannot wait for the bellyaching next year when Nikishin is out there wrecking guys from the Rangers and the media is suddenly concerned about player safety after slobbing all over the likes of Trouba and Rempe the last few years. He throws hits like we are seeing from him in the KHL, its legitimately going to break the brains of people from NY, and I cannot wait for it to happen.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Of course. I know this is an unpopular opinion but I think Wilson has been treated overly harshly by the league due to a reputation he didn't fully earn. But that's just me.

I expect Nikishin to bring his physical game over here and immediately step in as the biggest hitter in the league, but I don't think he will make that his identity here like those guys. He has enough skill and talent in all other aspects that he doesn't need to. He could completely eliminate the big hits from his game and still have the potential to be an elite all around 2-way 1D like a Hedman. The huge hits just add to that and there's no coach I trust more to help him find the right balance than RBA.
eh a bit - early in his career he was an absolute dirty hit machine out there. Not a Cooke/Torres/Marchment cheap shot artist type, but definitely a guy that went out there with an intent on hurting people when he connected and more than a few of his hits crossed the lines earlier in his career. Either crossing the borderline to dirty line, or crossing the intent to hurt to intent to injure line. He's dialed that in but the reputation will still be there because of earlier in his career.

Mind you it's also an effect of how the game has changed. His hits were rarely if ever in that Cooke/Torres/Messier tier of dirty, more in that Scott Stevens tier of dirty under current rules but "clean" under pre-lockout rules. A throwback player.
Didn't Tom Wilson basically become a thing as retaliation to the Pens having guys like Matt Cooke repeatedly injure guys on the Caps when the two teams were battling for division and conference titles?

I cannot wait for the bellyaching next year when Nikishin is out there wrecking guys from the Rangers and the media is suddenly concerned about player safety after slobbing all over the likes of Trouba and Rempe the last few years. He throws hits like we are seeing from him in the KHL, its legitimately going to break the brains of people from NY, and I cannot wait for it to happen.
Yep, at least in a way. Definitely gave a "sweep the leg" mentality to how the Caps wanted him to play at least.

The whining from New York over Nikishin is going to be sooooooo tasty. Especially considering his hits tend to be clean when he's destroying players. I have yet to see a play where he goes into the Trouba chickenwing bullshit or a full on Rempe charging cheapshot at a player nowhere near the puck.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

Guys won't be lounging around the net with him patrolling back there (unlike this year in which teams so far are sitting in front of our net) which is of course good.

I'd add, almost all of the checks that I've seen appear to be of the physical but clean variety. As others have mentioned, that's a far cry from Trouba, etc.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I rarely go too far in one direction or the other when it comes to calls. Some go for us more go against us but that's part of how we play. But I swear if they give Nik the Svech treatment where Svech so much as looks at another player wrong, he gets a penalty, I'm going to lose my shit. Will I recover? It depends.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I mean to be clear, I don't think what Nikishin does is at all dirty

That doesn't mean it won't break the brains of the same people who have been defending and celebrating Trouba and Rempe the last few years when their players get boomsticked by Nikishin
yeah, think about all the bruins fans who were crying about Svech's hit that sent Lindholm into oblivion a few years ago. That was the cleanest hit possible and bruins fans were crying like it was Trouba's charging flying elbow. As big a hit that was for Svech and the modern NHL that's just a regular Tuesday for Nikishin lol. We're gonna see a lot of threads of his hits created by crying fans of the team whose player got lit up while us and all the neutrals just laugh at them. Like with that Svech hit.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I’ll be surprised if he has the foot speed to do that to most guys in the NHL. He’ll still be effective, and the smaller ice will help, but I am going to guess the increase in skill level in the NHL compared to the KHL makes most of his open ice hits like that last video a thing of the past for him.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I’ll be surprised if he has the foot speed to do that to most guys in the NHL. He’ll still be effective, and the smaller ice will help, but I am going to guess the increase in skill level in the NHL compared to the KHL makes most of his open ice hits like that last video a thing of the past for him.
I’d love to see him do it over here but I think you’re probably right. Like in this video it’s not like he even blows the dude up, but I think that guy thought he was past the defense and was alone with the goalie. All of a sudden there’s a big body in the way. That is/will be very hard to do against nhl skaters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad