Is Quinn Hughes overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I think his defensive play is horrible. He has 11 points and a -6. 17 goals have been scored when he is on the ice... I can't see how people think he might be a Norris candidate

He just happened to have been awful for the 4 games you saw him.
(Of course he's not great defensively and shouldn't win the Norris, but he's better than what he shown against Montreal).

Reactions: bh53

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
He's a "new breed" offensive defenseman. Not good defensively. Not rocket science, don't see why it would deserve a thread.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
I do think a lot of the young defensemen in the NHL are overrated to some degree Hughes included. With that being said, he is very good but it no question that he is struggling defensively right now. He is having a difficult time defending in front of the net and often allow rushes into his own zone. Part of it is lack of structure within the system that Green deploys in Vancouver and part of it is an individual issue.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yes he is, just like every other productive young defenseman ever.

However, being overrated and being bad are not the same thing, which is a distinction that this board tends to miss often.

This. I’d wager that about 10% of the league is properly “rated”.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Eh, not really. Is he as good as established elite 1Ds? No.

But I think most rate him highly because he’s doing the most rare/hard to find things for a defender (puck moving and offensive driving/production) at an extremely high level at a very young age, and is a special skater who can break open a shift.

His feet give him potential to be good in his own end one day, even if he isn’t amazing right now.

I personally like Heiskanen the most of the young stud D but I think Quinn deserves the credit and fanfare he gets. He will be a top player in the league for a long time and has room to grow on top of an already exciting package.

(I think yes, if you consider him a top 3 Norris candidate right now youre definitely overrating him.)

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He is excellent and I would love to have him on my team. I don’t think he is overrated per say, but that the young defensemen that are more two way guys that go against top competition like Miro and McAvoy are underrated in relation.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He’s a typical offensive D man who struggles in his own end. Being small doesn’t help.

Reactions: karnige

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
He's a good ofd. He's struggling a bit this year which is normal for sophomore, combine that with no Tanev, new crap goalie, etc.

He'll be aright you gotta be patient. Don't give up on a talent like that. He'll make you pay.

Reactions: bh53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad