Is Patrik Elias worthy to get to HHOF?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Tampere
I was allways a Huge fan of Elias and really think he is one of the most underrated player of all time. Yes I know he is not that media sexy person or a player but achievements speaks with a loud volume. I'm not a homer since I'mma Leafs fan, but wow... I dont know is there allready a thread to this or sum like that, but I wanna hear what nhl fans as a whole think about Elias on the HHOF. I think yes 100℅

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I was allways a Huge fan of Elias and really think he is one of the most underrated player of all time. Yes I know he is not that media sexy person or a player but achievements speaks with a loud volume. I'm not a homer since I'mma Leafs fan, but wow... I dont know is there allready a thread to this or sum like that, but I wanna hear what nhl fans as a whole think about Elias on the HHOF. I think yes 100â„…

my knee jerk reaction is a hard no

but anyone who think Claude Giroux of the flyers should be in--then they agree Elias should be in

here is the question

how many players who have scored 400+ goals and 1000 pts are not in the hall?

Reactions: Czechboy

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'd say he likely gets in. Best forward on a cup contender for a long time. Two Cups + two more Finals. 1k+ points all with the same team. 0.77PPG in the playoffs with 162 games. 1x 1st Team All-Star.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I was allways a Huge fan of Elias and really think he is one of the most underrated player of all time. Yes I know he is not that media sexy person or a player but achievements speaks with a loud volume. I'm not a homer since I'mma Leafs fan, but wow... I dont know is there allready a thread to this or sum like that, but I wanna hear what nhl fans as a whole think about Elias on the HHOF. I think yes 100â„…

He's more worthy than a couple of players already in. He wouldn't be the worst, so yes. For consistency reasons he should be in the Hall. In my perfect Hall he would be in, albeit one of the weaker inductions.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
I am not confident he will get in, since he is quite underrated, but he definitely should get in IMO. Very respectable numbers considering the era, very good playoff record, complete player, 2 cups as the best forward of his team. He was perhaps the player most harmed by the full-season lockout. Not only he missed a season in his prime, but also contracted a serious illness playing in Russia and missed most of the next season. Missed one and a half season when he was at his best. He was certainly a much better player with a better career than a few of the recent inductions.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
I'm obviously biased but I would say yes, he deserves it. The guy put up very respectable numbers despite playing with - and 100% buying into - a very defense-focused system. His vision, hockey sense, and scoring ability was so much fun to watch.

My guess is it takes some time, but that he does eventually get in.

Reasons for including Patrik Elias:

- very respectable numbers
- 100% bought into defense-focused system
- fun to watch

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I'm obviously biased but I would say yes, he deserves it. The guy put up very respectable numbers despite playing with - and 100% buying into - a very defense-focused system. His vision, hockey sense, and scoring ability was so much fun to watch.

My guess is it takes some time, but that he does eventually get in.

With that defensive system NJ still found a way to score a lot goals in some season. NJ goals ranking from 1998 to 2006. 9 2 2 1 14 20 20 14. That system didn't take a way offense. Without that system that might not be able to score so many goals in those years

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I was just looking up Holik's career resume and tried to do a comparison to Bob Gainey's career as both were considered to be elite defensively.

Gainey:

GP: 1160
G: 239
A: 262

Playoffs:
GP:182
G:25
A:48

Cups: 5
Conn Smythe: 1
Selke: 4

Elias

GP:1240
G:408
A:617

Playoffs:
GP:162
G:45
A:80

Cups:2

Looking at the numbers Elias consistently produced at a rate that doubled Gainey's while playing in a much lower scoring era. The one glaring thing against Elias is that he never won any individual trophies while Gainey collected 5, including a conn smythe.

The next closest comparison of the HHOF I could think of is maybe Glenn Anderson. Under 500goals and under PPG and no individual awards but his PP and playoff numbers are through the roof.

At first thought I was thinking no, but looking at Elias' career a bit more closely. He's a lot closer than I realized. On a scale of 100, doing this bit of research made me got from 70-30 no, to about a 55-45 no.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
It's the hall of fame, not the hall of pretty good. He has zero personal awards and his play outside of the NHL isn't that spectacular. I don't see why he would get in but the hall is subjective, maybe with a few weak classes?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think he's worthy, but I'm not sure if he'll get in as he was generally overlooked throughout his career. I think he, Hossa and Alfredsson were all similar level players, but I suspect Hossa will get in right away and Alfredsson might as well, or at least in the first few years. Elias I think will likely be waiting for a bit or might never get in.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I was just looking up Holik's career resume and tried to do a comparison to Bob Gainey's career as both were considered to be elite defensively.

Gainey:

GP: 1160
G: 239
A: 262

Playoffs:
GP:182
G:25
A:48

Cups: 5
Conn Smythe: 1
Selke: 4

Elias

GP:1240
G:408
A:617

Playoffs:
GP:162
G:45
A:80

Cups:2

Looking at the numbers Elias consistently produced at a rate that doubled Gainey's while playing in a much lower scoring era. The one glaring thing against Elias is that he never won any individual trophies while Gainey collected 5, including a conn smythe.

The next closest comparison of the HHOF I could think of is maybe Glenn Anderson. Under 500goals and under PPG and no individual awards but his PP and playoff numbers are through the roof.

At first thought I was thinking no, but looking at Elias' career a bit more closely. He's a lot closer than I realized. On a scale of 100, doing this bit of research made me got from 70-30 no, to about a 55-45 no.

There's actually quite a few players in without any hardware: Modano, Sundin, Andreychuk, Housley, Gartner, Savard, Goulet, Federko, Murphy, Shanahan, Recchi, Barber, etc. His career numbers are lower than most, but they need to be put in the context of his era

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Sounds a lot like Mats Sundin.

Except that it doesn't?

Patrick Elias

GP 1240
Goals 208
Assists 617
PTS 1025

Mats Sundin

GP 1346
Goals 564
Assists 785
Points 1349

Sundin was almost always close to PPG or over, Elias had numerous seasons where he wasn't even close. Sundin was easily the better player and he also had a much better international career, if you take away Elias cups wins it's not even close.

Reactions: missionAvs

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
I'm an admirer, but no.

I get the argument about waiting til later ballots, but aren't we about to get a large influx of candidates which could create a logjam?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad