Is Our Best Shot At Winning With McDrai Gone?

Did We Blow Our Best Chance?

• Yes

Votes: 74 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 114 60.6%

• Total voters

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Only 2 out of the top 34 regular season offensive players are left in the playoffs.

Gary and his gang have game managed nearly all the best players out of the post season.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The team wasn’t good enough. They weren’t going anywhere with this goaltending or defense.

So in that sense… there never was a chance to blow.

Reactions: Duke74

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Next year's team should be just as good if not better so voted no.

That said, it's too bad because if they were able to get some better puck luck, goaltending and depth contributions against Vegas they match up decently against the rest of the field.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
It won't get any easier. Soon it will also be the Bedard era. clock is ticking. McDavid has given his ultimatum. You have 1 more season Edmonton. Then it's back to being the joke of the league.
Absolutely not true. We will know next summer whether McDavid is staying because that is when Leon would need to resign. McDavid isn't going to leave Drai if he has a chance to stay with him.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Also, in response to McDrai UFA. You ride with them past the point of the wheels falling off, this whole thing goes until McDrai themselves take the wheels off. There is no scenario where trading Drai makes sense, if he walks you have a realistic conversation with Connor and perhaps look to trade him. Otherwise you walk Drai into UFA and do what you can to sign him because he's your bargaining chip with McDavid, fears about them leaving in UFA should not puppeteer you into dismantling the core.

Next three years are ride or die time. They make too much money for the Org and give you too good an opportunity to win, to simply pull the plug and watch the water drain.

Reactions: iCanada

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
next year is the end all..... No cup you'd have to think both leon and connor are gone. With a win maybe theres a chance of resigning.
Doubtful. They have 2 and 3 years remaining on their deals. They do need to win in that timeframe, but their contracts being staggered adds an interesting dynamic. Does Drai leave after 2 years with McDavid still here for another season? Hard to see him walking away from McDavid. If those 2 are looking to be competitive together on their next contracts its hard to see any competitive team having the cap space to sign them both.

Also Edmonton's chance of winning and improving continues to rely on internal growth. They need a younger player or two to really emerge and give them that extra kick at a low cap hit. The crop of Yamo, Puljujarvi, McLeod hasn't really done it. Lets hope that Holloway, Broberg, Bourgault and a few others in the system can step up.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Holland has done a good job creating a multi year window here.

I'm not happy, we pissed away a golden opportunity this year. But hopefully the boys focus up hard and use this disappointment to fuel them to be better next year.
I thought that was last year, or the sweep versus Winnipeg. Every year different excuses.

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022
Nah every playoff run this team gets more experienced.

I honestly believe as long as we keep making the playoffs and not getting bounced first round Mcdrai will re-sign. It took Ovi and the capitals so long to win a cup. And generational players hardly ever end up leaving the team they got drafted by.

We got screwed by Chiarelli, major injuries to Sekara and Kelfbom. Also two covid years that cant really be judged or counted IMO landing in the middle. We have a GM now that has constructed a team that can compete every year. I know a lot of people hate him but he has done a hell of a lot better than the last guy.

The only team ever to have a generational player and not win a cup was Lindros' Flyers. Obviously depending what players you consider generational. I think we will win at least one before 2030 hopefully more.

Last edited:

Gordievsky

Jan 18, 2019
Definitely the best shot so far. The red sea parted - this is the weakest group of semifinalists I can remember, no matter who wins between Seattle and Dallas. We're kidding ourselves if we don't acknowledge this was a soft path and we blew it.

But I refuse to believe we've blown our best shot. That implies McDrai won't get better. I think they will get better and still better the next couple of years before we head into the wilderness. Fingers crossed.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I’m going to say no but at the same time we seem to have the same problem every postseason. Defense and goaltending not up to par with minimal secondary scoring. It’s as if this team morphs into a very average one once postseason starts. It’s baffling. So to summarize, can we be a cup contending team? During the regular season, yes. Do I think we will win a cup with McDavid? I doubt it

Reactions: BlackDogg

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
"This team has a little something in the barrel....the other barrel"

Woody Jaycroft

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
I’m going to say no but at the same time we seem to have the same problem every postseason. Defense and goaltending not up to par with minimal secondary scoring. It’s as if this team morphs into a very average one once postseason starts. It’s baffling. So to summarize, can we be a cup contending team? During the regular season, yes. Do I think we will win a cup with McDavid? I doubt it
Chances are much less after last series. They basically pulled a Toronto.

Reactions: McDrai

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
No, we had too many players playing like dead weight. Upgrading on the likes of Yamamoto and Ceci should be huge towards improving our team. Also we had too many key injuries, to win it all you need good health for the most part.

Last edited:

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I look at this way. If the only reason you were a contender was the fact other good teams lost, you were never a contender in the first place. The same issues that Plagued this team in the first half of the season were apparent in the playoffs. Still a few good shots at it, look at the capitals. This is not a linear progression by any stretch, that said, they are flirting with disaster in terms of being able to cash in on the Mcdavid era.

Reactions: barry halls

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
Voted yes simply because our cap situation starts to get a lot scarier next year
Of course
If we could find a way to unload a contract or two that could change, but, I don’t think that will be easy

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Big job but it can be done. RNH, Yam, all invisible they arnt playoff players and need to be moved. The defense which is taking lots of flack was actually pretty good and will be one year older next year. Only one I would look at changing out is Cici and not because he underperformed, just likely the best spot we can afford to improve on. Goaltending cannot be the same, Campbell gone for steady young good goalie, plus there needs to be a good up and comer available.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
no

I don’t give a shit what anyone says. I still think we are a better team than Vegas. Skinnner if he was even average this series we win it in 6. Next year will be different. Hold your head high Oilers fans!!! We got this next year

Might I suggest watching Timecop to calm down and settle the nerves. It’s a great one

1684213554322.jpeg

Reactions: Oilhawks

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
No, they have two more tries while Draisaitl is under his sweetheart contract. Then they probably can't afford him or will become like Chicago who lost all of their depth after Toews and Kane got paid. I guess Draisaitl leaves in 2 years.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
The little post game comment at the end. He looks fed up. Being good at reading body language. Dead giveaway. He is pretty much on his last leg here.
lol aren't you the guy who had a vendetta against Hall? Lol at body language people like you are literally the worst.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No, they have two more tries while Draisaitl is under his sweetheart contract. Then they probably can't afford him or will become like Chicago who lost all of their depth after Toews and Kane got paid. I guess Draisaitl leaves in 2 years.

If Drai leaves, then so does McDavid, so by extension they have to keep Draisiatl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad