Is Nikita Kucherov a Generational Talent? (Based on his NHL Career)

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
If the OP would tell us their definition of 'Generational talent', we could better answer the question. I've heard more than the obvious definition for the term from others. Maybe we should establish what the term means, at least on these boards so folks don't go and get confused about it?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Doesn’t matter if he’s viewed as generational or not by message board posters. He’s a two time Stanley Cup Champion, Conn Smythe and Art Ross trophy winner. Guy is a Winner and that’s all that matters.
You are coming on a message board to message people on the message board that messaging on a message board is irrelevant?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think one of the prerequisites to being a generational talent is the pre draft/pre NHL hype surrounding the player, so some of the narrative is definitely media driven. Orr, Mario, Lindros, Crosby would all fit this, as they had the hype and performance once they made it to justify being generational.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
Makar and Celebrini are not generational, Makar has just developed into a legendary talent similar to Kuch.

Generational guys are those born to play guys that were crowned at an extremely young age
I too use to carry that opinion, but that means you are saying players like Lindstrom and Hasek are not generational players.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
I too use to carry that opinion, but that means you are saying players like Lindstrom and Hasek are not generational players.

I've never once heard andyone say "during the Lidstrom generation" One of the best to ever do it, but not a generational talent who defines an entire era of the sport. Its harder to do as a Dman, I would say Orr is the only one.

Goaltenders are even more difficult, Hasek had one of the best peaks ever at his position. I could see the case that he was a generational talent.

He has to be. He's unlikable but I cant see how he hasn't earned it
he hasn't been the best player of his generation. He has never even been considered the best player in the NHL.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
He has to be. He's unlikable but I cant see how he hasn't earned it

Gilbert Arenas says a lot of dumb stuff but one thing I did agree with him on was that a generational talent should be identifiable long before they have accomplished a long list of things.

For me, when McDavid came back in his rookie season and scored that goal vs CBJ, right there at age 18 I was able to say he was a generational talent. He had never racked up 100 pts, any awards, nothing. But it was so clear that he was the most talented player to come into the league in at least 10 years. That is a generational talent to me.

If you have to point to accolades etc , its just not the same. Those guys come into the league at 18 or 19 and are immediately top 5 players in the world. No growing pains, no adjustment period, just sheer dominance from the go.

Kucherov has earned a spot in the HOF as a 1st ballot and he will be regarded as *one of the best* from this generation. But he isn't a once in a generational talent, never has been and winning a few AR doesn't change that. I would put him in the Jagr territory of close but no cigar.

Reactions: MuckOG

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Winning the Art Ross makes you generational? Being 2nd in scoring over a decade is a more impressive accomplishment.
No, it's not, don't play silly. Winning major awards is definitely a requirement for even below-generational tiers, while your Stasny example shows how unreliable stats without context can be.

Mario Lemieux won 4 Art Ross trophies in the 90s, but was only 25th in the overall 1990-1999 scoring. It's easy to say which feat is a better indicator of Lemieux's level of play.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
No, it's not, don't play silly. Winning major awards is definitely a requirement for even below-generational tiers, while your Stasny example shows how unreliable stats without context can be.

Mario Lemieux won 4 Art Ross trophies in the 90s, but was r 25th in the overall 1990-1999 scoring. It's easy to say which feat is a better indicator of Lemieux's level of play.

So H Sedin is generational then.

PS yes, I know I’m making silly comparisons. The whole concept of ‘generational’ has gotten silly IMO.

Last edited:

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This whole thread is worthless without coming to a consensus on what defines a generational talent first.

People have different standards. I wouldn’t have Kucherov in my list of generational talents, but my overall list is a lot more condensed than most peoples.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad