Is Nikita Kucherov a Generational Talent? (Based on his NHL Career)

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
No in 2022 and still no today. Obviously depends how we define generational talent.

IMO, it is players who are leaps and bounds ahead of their piers vs great careers.

Orr
Gretzky
Lemieux
Jagr
Crosby
Ovechkin
McDavid

Malkin had the talent but injuries derailed him.

Makar currently has the best case to argue, but is more in the Lidstrom tier of all time great vs "generational".

Bedard and Celebrini are hard maybes

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
We toss the term generational around to free and easy these days.

I commented earlier about this but now lets let the numbers do the talking

Kuch first year was 13/14

HE is 4th in pts overall since then

McDavid 655 games 988 pts
Crosby 808 games 937 pts
MacKinnon 796 games 908 pts
Kuch 729 games 882 pts

McDavid is the clear Generational talent of Kuch's era with Crosby being the Generational talent of the previous generation.

Let me put it another way

You have a draft year of

McDavid
Crosby
Mackinnon
Kuch
Patrick Kane
Alex O
Anze Kopitar
Steve Stamkos
Geno Malkin

How many seriously take Kuch over McDavid and Crosby?

For me, the term "Generational" goes to the guy you point at and go there and say "it is him"

Kuch is a great player but he is not a generational talent, in my opinion, part of being a generational talent is not just looking at what that player is doing but other players of his era.

Both McDavid and Crosby would be the ones going 1 and 2 in any draft in the list I posted. Nothing against Kuch but he is also helped by having a lot of good players on his team. Having a clear number 1 d man in Hedman, Number 1 goalie in Vis and a supporting cast that is and was pretty good.

Both McDavid and Crosby did a lot of damage with little or no support from the supporting cast the teams put together early in their career
Sure that scrub Draisaitl sucks.

Some of you, man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad