Is Nicklas Backstrom a hall of famer?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What do you think?

• Total voters

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
So being 'famous' enough should get you in while stats shouldn't?
What a truly terrible and strange argument to make.

I mean, not just fame of any kind. But a player who actually accomplished more, and had bigger stories should get in ahead of just a similar stat accumulator.

The hall of fame is a real place where people pay for a ticket and go in and look around. You can't have every display just be the guy's hockeydb stat page and nothing else. They need to have done something.

Willy O'Ree shouldn't be in the hall because of his on-ice stats. But a look at what his games meant gets him in. The Sedin twins are guys whose numbers put them on the bubble, but the fact that they were identical twins playing on the same team for their whole careers makes them interesting. Phil Kessel probably doesn't make it based on career point totals. But the fact that he beat cancer and then went on to the league's greatest ironman streak would make a moving display in the Hall, and I hope he gets in.

By "fame" I mean interesting stories and accomplishments. That should count.

Last edited:

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I don't think there had been a forward with so very little individual awards or accolades or voting support that has made the HHOF.

On the other hand, well, hard to be the MVP when you'Re clearly not the MVP on your team, and when the said MVP is amongst the 20 best players of all time. Malkin did it, but Malkin is/was also a significantly better player, and also miles above the bar Backstrom has to clear. It was easier in the 6-team era, not so much in the 30+ teams era that Backstrom played in.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I voted no initially.

But I mean... the math is that 30 players per decade get in.

Not sure I could name 30 players during his era that were better than him.

So I changed it to yes.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Backstrom is an example of a guy below the bar, as generally when you have a 1000 point career you need a significant individual trophy to get in, like the Sedins. Otherwise its a maybe on an extended wait list like Roenick/Turgeon/Mogilny, and depends a lot on how crowded that field is, and there will likely be a handful of similar guys to Backstom in 15-20 years.

hypereconomist

Mar 10, 2019
5x top 10 points finishes
7x top 10 assists finishes
AST Voting: 3, 4, 6, 8, 9

The year he was 3rd in AST voting, he was behind Crosby and McDavid. The year he was 4th in AST voting, he was 1-2 second place votes from tying or beating Stamkos (the year Stamkos won his first Richard). That's elite company.

I don't think Backstrom did quite enough to be inducted in the HHOF, but he wouldn't be a worse induction than Andreychuk if he eventually does get inducted

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
He seems to fit the criteria when you look at his resume, but I never considered him a great/legendary. The players in the HOF should be reserved for the legends of the game. I never hear anyone bring up memories of when he dominated.

Unfortunately the bar has been lowered over the past decade or so.

You want the HOF to be for the super elite, but that's not really why it's there. It's a showcase, a place for fans to visit and relive past players/events. And that's what it should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad