Is Nathan MacKinnon Better Than Prime Yzerman?

Is MacKinnon better than Yzerman in his prime?

• Total voters

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
If we compare MacKinnon from 2017 to now to Yzerman from '87-'88 to '93-'94, MacKinnon has a superior Hart record - to the point that I personally can't really figure out why the discrepancy is so wide.

True, it wasn't until later on that Yzerman developed a reputation for being a strong defensive player and a great leader, but MacKinnon has never been renowned for his defensive play. I'm not sure how good his reputation for things like intangibles and leadership is right now; it may be better than Yzerman's was in his prime since MacKinnon has won a Cup.

Hart records:

Prime Yzerman: 3rd, 4th, 7th, 7th, 8th

Prime MacKinnon: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th

Is the difference in Hart voting records entirely or primarily due to better/more elite defensemen and goaltenders during Yzerman's prime?

Scoring finishes:

Yzerman: 12, 3, 3, 7, 8, 4

MacKinnon: 5, 7, 5, 8, 18, 5, 2

Points Per Game*:

Yzerman: 2, 1, 2, 6, 7, 4, 5

MacKinnon: 2, 9, 5, 3, 7, 2, 3

*I excluded Lemieux, Gretzky and '21 and '23 McDavid

Points Per Game:

Yzerman: 4, 3, 4, 7, 9, 5, 6

MacKinnon: 2, 9, 5, 4, 7, 3, 3

*No exclusions

Last edited:
Reactions: seventieslord

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
Its actually closer than most people think.

Yzerman was better at a younger age and then his offence dropped when he got older

Mackinnon took awhile to get going

Both were top 3 players of there respective era

Yzerman was behind 66 and 99

While Mackinnon is behind Kucherov and Mcdavid

you could even argue hes #2 in the league

Also I feel like he's just more of a game breaker than Yzerman ever was

I prefer Mackinnon over Stevie Y just more explosive

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The lamest-looking goal ('cuz he had only one good leg) earned Yzerman the goal that put him over Howe careerwise. ... You cannot replay that goal without the CONTEXT of the video above linked.

Prime Yzerman may have been the youngster scoring 100+ points a year in a conference Edmonton owned.

But prime Yzerman to me is a leg down, yet gonna win...

Last edited:

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
The lamest-looking goal ('cuz he had only one good leg) earned Yzerman the goal that put him over Howe careerwise. ... You cannot replay that goal without the CONTEXT of the video above linked.

Prime Yzerman may have been the youngster scoring 100+ points a year in a conference Edmonton owned.

But prime Yzerman to me is a leg down, yet gonna win...

I've heard he was Crosby's favorite player. I'm not sure how much of the younger Yzerman he saw or remembers. He may have become his favorite when he was winning Cups in the late 90s. This is an example of a player who added a ton to his career and legacy post-prime.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
f*** the nostoliga its Mackinnon

Yzerman was better at a younger age and then his offence dropped when he got older

No way Yzerman was 3rd in mid 80s to mid 90s period

Ray Bourque was a better player at that time as well, as was Messier

He was 5th at best

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I love watching MacKinnon in the playoffs. No doubt he's a great performer in the post season (certainly better than Matthews). But it does feel like he's put up a lot of points in series where his team has just wrecked some trash opponent in the first round.

Granted, points are points.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I've heard he was Crosby's favorite player. I'm not sure how much of the younger Yzerman he saw or remembers. He may have become his favorite when he was winning Cups in the late 90s. This is an example of a player who added a ton to his career and legacy post-prime.
Yeah, Yzerman was the favourite player of a lot of hockey fans. A lot. Without a doubt one of the most popular players in history. It started with a bang in the 2nd-half of the '80s when he was THE star of NHL highlight reels, and of course continued later with team success. Even now, I know many, many people who'd say Yzerman is their all-time favourite player. On par with Wendel! Probably even more.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Yes, MacKinnon is better than Yzerman. And better than Lafleur; a lot better than Dionne; a lot better than Mikita.

I like the way MacKinnon has progressed. He has his obvious talents that he's had all his life, and he also has some challenges in his game. But he works very hard and continues to improve.

He's likely going to blow by many great players on the all-time scoring list, as long as he has pretty good health.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
If MacKinnon ages as gracefully as Yzerman, he will be ahead. He'll be ahead of Sakic, too. But there's a long way to go still.
Eh. Sakic aged better than Yzerman imo.

Yzerman had 1 season finishing top 10 in points 30+. Sakic had 5 seasons finishing top 10 in points including runner up to the Art Ross twice. All after 30.

Yzerman does have the better selke record post 30 but not like Sakic's was bad. Sakic however, was on a different level offensively comparing their post 30 careers.

so I don't agree with if Mackinnon ages like Yzerman he passes both.

As for the OP. Mackinnon's offensive prime is already on the level of Sakic's. Another interesting comp would be to compare Mackinnon's 2023-24 season to Yzerman's 1988-89 season.

Reactions: 67 others and barbu

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
MackInnon obviously has to contend with McDavid but you should probably omit Gretzky and Lemieux from Yzermans voting records (if you've already done that ignore me)

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016

Yzerman was not a top 3 of his generation (depending how you define generation) I'd say he not even top 5 as he clearly behind Messier/Jagr

Reactions: Barnum

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Even now, I know many, many people who'd say Yzerman is their all-time favourite player. On par with Wendel! Probably even more.
There is a reason for that.

I loathed Detroit almost as much as the Leafs. But... i could not ever not clap my hands at Yzerman & Yushkevich (two Y's! I just now see...). Sundin, too. (Sorry, could not in good conscience mention a 2nd Red Wing. .. unless i could reach back to Howe (whom i never saw in a building).

May Detroit & Toronto go to the special place in hell designated for wherever the ol'Arizona team ends up. . ... Ottawa? Utah? Same-same.

Last edited:

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Yzerman was not a top 3 of his generation (depending how you define generation) I'd say he not even top 5 as he clearly behind Messier/Jagr
Not sure about clearly behind Messier, but Jagr did not feel at the time to be in Yzerman generation, Yzerman is an 1983 draft pick, rookie in 1984 that peaked around 1989.

Jagr is an 1990 draft pick, rookie in 1991 that peaked around 1999, once Jagr entered the conversation for best player in the world it was past Yzerman being in it, he was never in his ways.

That time gap between the 2 is very similar to MacKinnon and say Crosby, 2013 vs 2005 draft, and their gap feel a bit similar (once Mack got in the best player conversation it was past Crosby time, maybe they even had overlapping prime more than Jagr-Yzerman).

Other way to look at it if we put Jagr-Yzerman in the same generation in that type of conversation, Ovechkin won 6 rockets since Mack entered the league.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
99 and 66 should be doctored out of any discussion of their peers... they define OUTLIER!

Jagr was seen as a semi-god to those two gods. For good reason. He had the talent. But he didn't have the heart. What we called in the locker room "the burn". Conn Smythe would not go into an alley with that guy.

A curious question: how many Czechs think Jagr was greater than Hasek? ... they are in the same region of all-time talk...

Last edited:

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Wouldn't Yzerman's HR page at a glance look similar if 99 and 66 didn't exist? It'd be littered with...stuff...no?

Not that Mac didn't go against anyone. But 99 and 66 were a different level of gatekeepers at his position...

I think he'd have one Ross and one Hart if you remove 99 and 66.

Still think he at best 4th best center of his time

Reactions: Video Nasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad