Is Mitch Marner worth more than Auston Matthews right now?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is worth more?

• Total voters

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
On the Devils, with Hughes and Hischier, I take Marner. Matthews is the better player, but Marner will outscore him most years and doesn't have the same injury concerns. Plus, Marner is just plain more fun to watch

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
One player is injury prone and one dimensional. The only thing he's better at is scoring goals.

I don't know if simply being able to score goals is worth more than a complete player who drives play and shows up every game.

Marner is worth significantly more than overhyped Matthew's from what I've watched.
Why is Marner not a 1 dimensional playmaker? Matthews is clearly better at driving play than Marner is at scoring goals

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Two years ago Hyman lead the league in quality scoring chances for. He did this with Matthews as his Centre. You have failed.

You should look at his advanced stats and then slap yourself for not thinking he is elite.

Western Canadian fan, big shock.
Wow another advanced stat guy please. Your western fan doesn't hold water because I believe Marner is elite. Mathews fans kill me elite this that guy isn't even on top line and can't even crack top 40 scoring this year but elite? Bergeron and Pastrnak played less games this year and outscored your so called elite centre. Give your head a shake how many elite players are actually in league you think if you really believe he's elite? Sorry to hurt your feelings he's a good player not denying that. Could he became elite sure but he hasn't yet. Draft pedigree and being a player of largest fan base has created his reputation. However listen to someone who likes him a lot but also sees him for what he is. A very good player who doesn't use his wingers well. He's a shoot first centre. Has a great shot I'll say but doesn't set up his wingers enough. Chances by Hyman mean nothing if not put away. Quality of chances can vary to. That's why advanced stats are misleading you can make numbers mean a lot of things in life. Bottom line for me is eye test and that's how I come up with my opinion. That's all it is and you are entitled to one to. Cheers

Last edited:

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Matthews is a one-trick pony, although he's very good at that trick. He can score goals from anywhere in the offensive zone, which is pretty valuable.

However, that's about it. His vision, defensive play, creativity and passing are all sub-par for an elite C. He's also injury prone, and has questionable work ethic. He hasn't really progressed in the way you want to see, especially considering his strong rookie season.

I'd take Marner. Elite playmaker, puts in the work and has the energy, not a bad shot, either. Amazing hands and skills.

I would easily take Marner if he scored more goals. The problem with a players #1 skill being playmaking is that you require other good players to play with to be successful. Look at Drai on the Oilers. Great playmaker but when you give him 4th line wingers to play with he wont put up big numbers because he has no one to finish.. If you look at Matthews he is more likely to succeed with other lesser players because his one great skill is scoring. That being said Matthews is pretty one dimensional and gets hurt a lot soooooo....
I guess my answer is I dont know:)

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
It depends if Matthews can stay healthy or not. A healthy Matthews is better than a healthy Marner. An injured Matthews is not better than a healthy Marner.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Not too many Leafs fans in the Marner votes.

A whole lotta Leafs fans in the Matthews votes.

One player is injury prone and one dimensional. The only thing he's better at is scoring goals.

I don't know if simply being able to score goals is worth more than a complete player who drives play and shows up every game.

Marner is worth significantly more than overhyped Matthew's from what I've watched.

Do you want to know how I know that you don't watch many Leafs games?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It is absolutely a stupid narrative. Simply getting injuries doesn't make you injury prone, that is ridiculous. But why bother with facts when we can just "huur durz he is brokenz"

Please name me a superstar or superstar in the making who isn't judged for missing over a dozen games per season.
Due to injuries, I kinda compare Matthews to Nash in terms of potential.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
It is absolutely a stupid narrative. Simply getting injuries doesn't make you injury prone, that is ridiculous. But why bother with facts when we can just "huur durz he is brokenz"

Ok..Here are the facts, other than Matthews first season where he played the full season he has missed time in the following two seasons (20 games and 14 games) due to injuries to the same shoulder. He has also suffered an injury to his back at the WJC.

As per Webster's dictionary:
injury-prone

idiom
Definition of injury-prone
: frequently injured an athlete who is injury-prone

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Ok..Here are the facts, other than Matthews first season where he played the full season he has missed time in the following two seasons (20 games and 14 games) due to injuries to the same shoulder. He has also suffered an injury to his back at the WJC.

As per Webster's dictionary:
injury-prone

idiom
Definition of injury-prone
: frequently injured an athlete who is injury-prone
It was not injuries to the same shoulder lol. Thanks for the effort though champ.

Reactions: MattySnipes

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Okay, his left shoulder caused him to miss 14 games and the right shoulder led to 20 games in back to back years respectively.

Anything else from the OP you'd like clarified?
It is interesting how everyone can view through the same lens but each individual might take out something different from one another.

Imo, Matthews is not injury prone. I find someone to be "injury prone" when anything they do or the slightest bit of contact has them out of the game.

Beau Bennett comes to mind, always injured, and he also injured himself celebrating a goal. Lupul comes to mind with the one exception being his blood infection he caught near the end of career. Taylor Hall had his first full NHL season with Edmonton I believe in 2015-2016. Rick DiPietro is another one.

Matthews' injuries were from hard but unlucky and awkward hits. Trouba came into Matthews fast and hard from the slot, I'd imagine any player is hurt after that hit. The Kronwall hit was awkward and sent him into the boards back first. Not the greatest feeling for someone with a previous back injury. Even the Clutterbuck hit was awkward and he sorta got sandwiched from my recollection by another Isle at the same time.

Being durable is a skill in itself, and Matthews will be working on that as he gets older, stronger and fills out his huge frame. He's a great talent, would hate to see him miss more time. Hate seeing players injured.

Reactions: Shut Up Flanders

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Okay, his left shoulder caused him to miss 14 games and the right shoulder led to 20 games in back to back years respectively.

Anything else from the OP you'd like clarified?
I mean that basically kills the entire point you were trying to make lol I get it you thought you were being all smart thinking you totally had me especially with the classic quoting the dictionary. That's step one right out of the E-Douche handbook but two random injuries to separate body parts does not in fact make someone injury prone. I know it will make you sad but that is just the way it is. I'm sure you will wish it into existence though.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Yes he is worth more than Matthews, but he isn't worth more than Matthews' contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad