Is Mitch Marner worth more than Auston Matthews right now?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is worth more?

• Total voters

Leafsfan1967

Apr 25, 2018
I was just wondering with his restricted free agency now up, is it fair for Mitch Marner to be asking for as much money as Auston Matthews? I understand a lot of Leaf fans are apprehensive but at the same time Marner has performed more these past few years than Auston posting more points.

Is it fair for Marner to be asking for as much or more money than Auston?

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Niether is worth the 11 plus but Dubas bet on Mathews and lost now Marner wants same as the better performer. Both should have been signed to matching 9.5 per deals but oh well good luck now.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
It will tell you something when the fans that watch them 82 games a year will vote for Matthews, while the rest of HF will vote for Marner.

Matthews is the more valuable player. Plays the premium position and is better than anyone at doing the hardest thing to do in hockey, score goals.

Reactions: biotk

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
It will tell you something when the fans that watch them 82 games a year will vote for Matthews, while the rest of HF will vote for Marner.

Matthews is the more valuable player. Plays the premium position and is better than anyone at doing the hardest thing to do in hockey, score goals.
Sure he's good at scoring however he's not nearly as good at creating goals for others. Not to mention he has a history of shoulder problems which will only get worse. He's not physical either for someone of his size. He's got 65 hits in 3 year career that's not his thing but people mention he's a big scoring centre all the time. Guys a good player but no he's not an elite 1C in league just another very good one. Marner though a winger is more the play maker and only scored 11 less goals while produced 68 assists to Mathews 36. Ya Marner plays with JT I know but JT just had a career year playing with Marner whose only going to get better. Oh and Marner out pointed JT as well this year. Marner may be the winger but he's the Leafs engine. I'd love him on my team so I hope it works out as he's a stud home town kid. Leafs can't lose him. Will they survive sure they will but he's a superstar in making get it done and sign him.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Contract value? Sure why not. He has the arguments to ask for same salary

But if you mean asset/trade value - nope not at all. Matthews pedigree, hype and position make him a significantly more valuable asset imo

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Matthews is a one-trick pony, although he's very good at that trick. He can score goals from anywhere in the offensive zone, which is pretty valuable.

However, that's about it. His vision, defensive play, creativity and passing are all sub-par for an elite C. He's also injury prone, and has questionable work ethic. He hasn't really progressed in the way you want to see, especially considering his strong rookie season.

I'd take Marner. Elite playmaker, puts in the work and has the energy, not a bad shot, either. Amazing hands and skills.

Reactions: thaman8765678

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Matthews is a one-trick pony, although he's very good at that trick. He can score goals from anywhere in the offensive zone, which is pretty valuable.

However, that's about it. His vision, defensive play, creativity and passing are all sub-par for an elite C. He's also injury prone, and has questionable work ethic. He hasn't really progressed in the way you want to see, especially considering his strong rookie season.

I'd take Marner. Elite playmaker, puts in the work and has the energy, not a bad shot, either. Amazing hands and skills.
He has played 212 out of a possible 242 regular season games....86% of his possible games. This stupid narrative that he is injury prone is absolutely hilarious and based on absolutely zero facts. Along with "questionable work ethics" which again is totally unsubstantiated and you have zero way of actually proving that in any way.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

This the Laine thread or Matthews thread?

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016

It's hard to say because both get to play with good linemates and aren't asked to carry a line.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He has played 212 out of a possible 242 regular season games....86% of his possible games. This stupid narrative that he is injury prone is absolutely hilarious and based on absolutely zero facts. Along with "questionable work ethics" which again is totally unsubstantiated and you have zero way of actually proving that in any way.

He missed 20 games last year and 14 games this year. It’s not a stupid narrative at all.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Sure he's good at scoring however he's not nearly as good at creating goals for others. Not to mention he has a history of shoulder problems which will only get worse. He's not physical either for someone of his size. He's got 65 hits in 3 year career that's not his thing but people mention he's a big scoring centre all the time. Guys a good player but no he's not an elite 1C in league just another very good one. Marner though a winger is more the play maker and only scored 11 less goals while produced 68 assists to Mathews 36. Ya Marner plays with JT I know but JT just had a career year playing with Marner whose only going to get better. Oh and Marner out pointed JT as well this year. Marner may be the winger but he's the Leafs engine. I'd love him on my team so I hope it works out as he's a stud home town kid. Leafs can't lose him. Will they survive sure they will but he's a superstar in making get it done and sign him.

Two years ago Hyman lead the league in quality scoring chances for. He did this with Matthews as his Centre. You have failed.

You should look at his advanced stats and then slap yourself for not thinking he is elite.

Western Canadian fan, big shock.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad