Is McDavid Top 10 For You All Time Already? If Not How Much More Does He Have to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
McDavid has arguably done as much or more than any individual has (in a playoff run), in the histoy of the league.
I don't know about that. Even considering scoring levels, I don't think he's surpassing Gretzky's 17 goals and 47 points in 18 games.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He needs to win although he should also get some grace since he plays in the 32 team era.

Pre cap players benefited from more roster flexibility with no cap to worry about and less teams to compete against.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Barry Sanders, often regarded as the GOAT running back, has never won a championship.

No credible authority that I know of lists Barry Sanders as the GOAT running back. Not over players like Jim Brown and Walter Payton. He was great, no question....but his legacy is the same as Dan Marino's....both great players who have never won a championship.

• Haha
Reactions: HolyHagelin

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
It's the only thing they have left. They'll clutch onto this for the rest of time and if he does win a Cup they'll be a new "ya, but..." that comes up.
yeah but he only won one cup..

yah but he only won two cups...

They'll never stop.

Look at Crosby people still try to belittle him

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
No credible authority that I know of lists Barry Sanders as the GOAT running back. Not over players like Jim Brown and Walter Payton. He was great, no question....but his legacy is the same as Dan Marino's....both great players who have never won a championship.

One Super Bowl win really isn't the different here...it's Payton's much longer career. Taking nothing away from him, but these are team sports...things happen and a good deal of luck is involved.

These discussions are ridiculous at the core though... McDavid playing for the 1987 Edmonton Oilers would put up 400 points.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Not sure why you think it's an odd take. The greatest of all time in every team sport all have at least one championship to their names. Many have multiple.
Except nobody is saying he is the greatest of all-time? They are saying he is (currently) top 5-10. Denying that McDavid is a top-10 player at this point is outright delusional. No Cups are required to reach that ranking. If you want to talk about him ranking higher than Gretzky, then yes a Cup (and many other things) will be necessary.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Except nobody is saying he is the greatest of all-time? They are saying he is (currently) top 5-10. Denying that McDavid is a top-10 player at this point is outright delusional. No Cups are required to reach that ranking. If you want to talk about him ranking higher than Gretzky, then yes a Cup (and many other things) will be necessary.

When he wins his 1st Cup (which I think he eventually will), then yes, he's a top 5-10 player of all time. JMO.

• Haha
Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Not sure why you think it's an odd take. The greatest of all time in every team sport all have at least one championship to their names. Many have multiple.
Not odd. Foolish.

You're suggesting that the next 2 games determine McDavids place in (your) history.

If Bobrovsky gets food poisoning and can't stop a puck the next 2 games hes top 10.

If Darnell Nurse decides to play for Florida the next 2 games hes not.

Its just silly. And opinions like this will look silly if they are ever revisited. Cup or no cup.

McOverrated
You know whats overrated? Austons outfit in your avatar.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
You're suggesting that the next 2 games determine McDavids place in (your) history.

Not just the next 2 games, the entirety of McDavid's career. For me to include him as a top 5 player of all time, he needs to have at least one Cup. Sorry, but that the precedent that's been set and I'm going with it.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Not just the next 2 games, the entirety of McDavid's career. For me to include him as a top 5 player of all time, he needs to have at least one Cup. Sorry, but that the precedent that's been set and I'm going with it.
Its fine. Like I said these takes will look more foolish with time.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Gretzky
Lemieux
Orr
McDavid
Crosby
Where is Gordie Howe on your list?

I saw the 2 reactions to your post and partially agree if it is a right now vote but then again I have Mario as the weak link in the Big 4.

After this postseason there should be a serious discussion about peoples too 10 and reasons for and against players where they rank.

That's a little rigid and we know how weak the Conn Smythe thread is going right?

At some point individual achievement trumps some arbitrary team measure in a 32 team salary cap league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad