Is match fixing happening in the NHL?

Match fixing or predetermined outcomes in the NHL?

• No, it’s all random.

Votes: 118 59.0%
  • It’s possible

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • Yeah, I am pretty sure it’s happening.

Votes: 31 15.5%

• Total voters

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Well, they did can a referee for admitting to "game management"

So, there's not match fixing per se but there's definitely match influencing

Also, betting lines ARE completely rigged in the house's favor
Match influencing is match fixing. Do people think when match fixing happens in soccer the refs are putting extra goals in the scorebook?

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Honest question to the 7 who voted "Yeah" before I wrote this: if you think it's fixed, why are you even following the sport ?

Unless you're also fans of pro wrestling...

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Honest question to the 7 who voted "Yeah" before I wrote this: if you think it's fixed, why are you even following the sport ?

Unless you're also fans of pro wrestling...
"Put the whistles away"
"Game management"
"Make up call"

Ref getting caught on hot-mic what we all know.

And when games are "managed", it benefits one of the 2 teams.

You can say both teams are playing by the same lopsided rules, but you're not factoring roster construction.

If you're letting a team of goons run a team of finesse skill-players, and saying "I'm letting them play" you're clearly favoring one of those teams.

It's laughable anyone would say otherwise.

Let me guess. You also think pre-season has the same reffing standards as playoffs too?

Last edited:

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Hundo. More money

I witnessed it first hand with Habs and Vegas series. Most blatant reffing crap I've ever seen.

Thankfully hockey is a very random sport so it's tougher to fix games compared to others like basketball. But NHL will still do what they can.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
If a team is up 9-0, and refs call a bunch of offsetting penalties and misconducts just to run out the clock, they are f***ing with over under odds.

Is that not a form of fixing the score? Is that not a form of manipulating the outcome?

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Match fixing is not against the law in Canada.

Can’t believe there isn’t more discussion about that.

But it's (I assume) against the rules of the league... So while state can't punish you for match fixing, league can ban you, or sth. like that.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
The only argument that's even remotely feasible is refs giving the benefit of the doubt and playing favorites to some players and simply hating some other players. But matches certainly aren't predetermined in any way that's nonsense.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The only argument that's even remotely feasible is refs giving the benefit of the doubt and playing favorites to some players and simply hating some other players. But matches certainly aren't predetermined in any way that's nonsense.

BTW you might want to read up how Tim Donaughy fixed NBA games.

It wasn't through wins, it was through point spreads. He did it by having 'favorite players', and players he hated and calling fouls or ignoring fouls.

And it wasn't 100%. He game managed to about 88% accuracy.

Now ask yourself. Does an NHL ref have the ability to keep a score close through chintzy make-up calls, and lopsided PP opportunities? Because if they CAN artificially keep a score close, it can be bet on.

Because that's what literally happened in the NBA.

Last edited:

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
"Put the whistles away"
"Game management"
"Make up call"

Ref getting caught on hot-mic what we all know.

And when games are "managed", it benefits one of the 2 teams.

You can say both teams are playing by the same lopsided rules, but you're not factoring roster construction.

If you're letting a team of goons run a team of finesse skill-players, and saying "I'm letting them play" you're clearly favoring one of those teams.

It's laughable anyone would say otherwise.

Let me guess. You also think pre-season has the same reffing standards as playoffs too?
And that does not answer the question: Why do you follow this sport if you think it's rigged ?

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Corruption clearly exists

"Everything is a conspiracy" mentality is just a coping mechanism for uneducated people to explain what they can't understand

If you can corrupt enough of the right people to change an outcome without getting caught, then you beat the odds

But before doing that, the question would be : how much would it cost to corrupt these people vs the potential gain? I think most of the time, the ROI just doesn't have enough potential

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The refs can’t fix a match well enough to make sure of the outcome. It would have to be the players and the game is too random and instinctual to ever lend itself to successfully fixing anything. I could believe one guy could get in a bad enough place to consider it but getting enough guys to buy in and successfully do it is ridiculous.

Reactions: DaveG

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I don't think there is match fixing in the sense that the refs choose who wins. I DO think there is game management to attempt to keep as many games as close as possible.

Most likely no

Game management however happens all the damn time, the refs constantly try to keep it close.
Keeping score close is what Tim Donaghy was charged with. They were able to bet on point spreads.

Last edited:
Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Keeping score close is what Tim Donaghy was charged with. They were able to bet on point spreads.
Exactly. As long there are a plethora of betting possibilities in games outcomes can be changed. Betting that one team won't be leading after the 1st opens the possibilty for a player on that team to deliberately not score late in the 1st in order to win the bet. It won't necessarily change the final result but it is still fraud.

The refs can’t fix a match well enough to make sure of the outcome. It would have to be the players and the game is too random and instinctual to ever lend itself to successfully fixing anything. I could believe one guy could get in a bad enough place to consider it but getting enough guys to buy in and successfully do it is ridiculous.
It only takes one ref to need a certain outcome for him to try to influence the outcome with his calls.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
They don’t need to outright fix anything. The refs can just not call stuff for certain teams, or at certain times and they can get pretty much any result they want this way, while still having plausible deniability.

No players or coaches need to be “in on it” at all. Players and coaches will always take what they’re given from the refs, especially in the playoffs.

Nobody is going to be like “Hey guys, we’re getting away with a lot of holding, interference, hooking, and slashing. We’d better clean up our game; it would be wrong to win this way.”

In reality it’s like “Lol, the refs aren’t calling shit. f*** yeah boys.”

No words need to even be said. And this clearly does happen. The league’s agenda is always going to be more revenue and overall growth, so whatever outcome is best for that, is what they will try to facilitate. In the last few decades, this has meant teams winning in non-traditional markets.

Are they outright rigging the games for these teams? No. They don’t need to, like I said. But will they turn a blind eye to certain shit at certain times? Absolutely. Pretending otherwise is incredibly naive and idealistic.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'm not going to say it's impossible but there would need to be a lot if people in on it which gives me doubt. It is against everyone's nature in this league to want to lose let alone wanting artificially deflated stats for you next contract.

That being said....if you just use a goalie the people in the know become fewer so that might be an easier angle.

Reffing...risky but possible I guess. How many absurd calls before people start asking questions?

Final answer. Probably not but rare if so.

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
I definitely dont think there’s some big conspiracy to make one team win. However the current reffing is terribly inconsistent and people are flawed creatures so I also can’t say it isn’t possible a game gets strongly nudged here and there.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00