Is Kucherov getting slighted for awards?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Both are deserving. That said, trophies typically go to the Good Old Boy in a neck and neck race. MacKinnon is exactly that, Kucherov not so much.
Honestly historically we have seen the Art Ross be the tie breaker in these scenarios. To have Kucherov not even be voted top 3 on some ballots shows a level of disgust from the media towards a player that we haven't seen in a long, long time.

• Haha
Reactions: a mangy Meowth

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Honestly historically we have seen the Art Ross be the tie breaker in these scenarios. To have Kucherov not even be voted top 3 on some ballots shows a level of disgust from the media towards a player that we haven't seen in a long, long time.

That says more about the media than it does Kucherov.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Lol. MacKinnon flashy… imagine reaching this far just to play the victim.

Mackinnon having a flashy playstyle and Kucherov having a passive playstyle isn't news bud. You're conflating the act of supporting a player with victimization that he didn't win, I find that incredibly hypocritical considering these two were apparently neck and neck.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Sure
The bigger issue is that 2 voters left Kucherov off their ballot completely…then you factor in the 5th place votes for both Kucherov and MacKinnon and you’ll realize writers are biased.

I’d love to hear any argument that supports both of them getting 5th place votes and left off ballots completely.

Who was winning was aways a coin flip because both are worthy.
Those 2 voters choices are really iffy but also wouldn't have made a difference and the 3 first place for Bread is an even bigger problem and kind of negates the non argument of national bias right?

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
You guys can discuss this until you're blue in the face, but let's think for just a brief moment about which of these explanations seem more reasonable and plausible:

A) Voters chose MacKinnon because they thought he had the slightly more impactful season

B) Voters chose MacKinnon because they don't like Russians, feel bad that MacKinnon was runner up a couple other times, felt Kucherov was a little rude at the all-star game, and/or some other ancillary reasoning not mentioned above

I'd also suggest that because the players voted MacKinnon overwhelmingly for the Lindsay, that the nationality/voter fatigue/all-star behavior explanations seem to hold even less water (if that's possible).

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
So when he was intoxicated from celebrating? After he was accused of faking an injury prior to the playoffs? I don't think that encapsulates his overall personality.
That’s fine

You’re a fan of his. Understandably.

I’m not. Also understandably as a habs fan.

We have different perceptions

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Kucherov's main problem is MacKinnon being significantly better than him.

Other than that, yeah he's getting slighted.

tabness

be a p̴l̴a̴y̴a̴ gm 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Former Tampa teammate Cedric Paquette (now playing in KHL) recently gave an interview to Russian media. About Kucherov he said:

"He is always grumpy in the locker room, but he's very concentrated - like he exists in a spacesuit.
He's very focused on hockey and the upcoming game. That said, he can be funny. He's an excellent professional; always the first to go to practice and shows off his skill in games. But yea he looks a little bit grouchy but that's his character."

Paquette just hasn't been to a paleo team dinner with MacKinnon yet lol

remember what happened to Nuke, just trying to party a bit, "THAT BETTER NOT BE SUGAR!"

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
At least that has something to do with on-ice value though.
Sure, but it isn't really what the trophy is about when it explicitly is just about defence. As someone who has complained about the soft campaigning to get Crosby a Selke being bullshit (which it is) you know this.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
mackinnon's defense makes him a worthy winner. problem is that never before have the voters given a single shit about defense so next year when a one dimensional offensive player wins the hart because they lead the league in scoring i'll be just a bit mad

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
mackinnon's defense makes him a worthy winner. problem is that never before have the voters given a single shit about defense so next year when a one dimensional offensive player wins the hart because they lead the league in scoring i'll be just a bit mad
Orr 70, 71, 72?
Clarke 73, 75, 76?
Fedorov 94?
Sakic 01?
Forsberg 03?
Matthews 22?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The guy doesn't have an ego. He's just truly uncomfortable in those situations. He's never talking about how good he is, although he definitely has the resume to do so. Not everyone is good in front of a camera or wants to have one focused on him. He entertains the fans on the ice with his commitment and play in games. These "competitions" where the spotlight is on him in a one on one situation is not his thing. He doesn't have a choice about showing up I don't think, even if he's super uncomfortable...the league doesn't care if he is. That's actually not his fault. Can't force someone to have a bubbly personality that can engage one on one with fans. Everything I have ever read about him is positive. He's just introverted - and that should be respected not reviled. Now if he said "I'm to good to be wasting my time with this," then there can be some backlash for ego. He just wants the focus to not be on him - seems to be the complete opposite of ego driven.

He blew off the all star game, an event people paid money to come see, because he’s socially uncomfortable? Unlikely. His ego got in the way of him realizing he’s a blessed individual making millions of dollars to play a game and he has an obligation to fans who love and support him.

What a joke to blame it on his introversion. He reeks of a spoiled, bratty, child who wasn’t ever told “no”.

So when he was intoxicated from celebrating? After he was accused of faking an injury prior to the playoffs? I don't think that encapsulates his overall personality.
Excuses, excuses. He was being a drunk douche. If he didn’t have so much of an ego he would’ve realized he was being unnecessarily disrespectful.

Reactions: Lshap

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Sure, but it isn't really what the trophy is about when it explicitly is just about defence. As someone who has complained about the soft campaigning to get Crosby a Selke being bullshit (which it is) you know this.

Yeah I agree.

It's just that I think detracting from Kucherov over all-star beers or an apparent language barrier, or because he wore a shirt as a joke that you didn't think was funny is somehow even more removed from the criteria.

MacKinnon was a fine choice for the Hart this season IMO. This was not robbery. I'm just quibbling over some of the rationales being offered.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah I agree.

It's just that I think detracting from Kucherov over all-star beers or an apparent language barrier, or because he wore a shirt as a joke that you didn't think was funny is somehow even more removed from the criteria.

MacKinnon was a fine choice for the Hart this season IMO. This was not robbery. I'm just quibbling over some of the rationales being offered.
I don't doubt that a few dumbasses voted against him due to the all star game thing. Very stupid. I don't know that they care that much about a shirt of that he's Russian. It isn't like MacKinnon is all that charismatic either. They had very similar seasons, that one got the Hart and the other didn't is not that big of a deal.

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Im shocked more people arent on their soap boxes mentioning Kucherov's record for empty net points this season. 14 to 8 vs MacKinnon. That is the difference in the Art Ross if you want to split hairs, let alone a huge negative factor for votes

When the voting wasn't even close, its not slighted. MacKinnon was that good this year.

If he won the TL, ok, the morons media doesnt know what theyre talking about, but TL says all. The players are never wrong.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Someone has to lose. Unfortunately, other really good players have been picked over Kucherov.

I am sure he will get more indivudal awards eventually, and even if he doesn't, that won't change how good he is.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Kucherov was more valuable to his team than MacKinnon was this year.

He was also outright better, but that part is at least debatable.
Sound reasonable until you realize Avs would have Ross Colton and Ryan Johansen as Top6 centers for most of the season. Does not seem like recipe for success.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Arguably could have been a Conn Smythe winner in 2021 leading playoff scoring by 9 points.
And today he lost out for both the Ted Lindsay and Hart award.

Considering his lead over other teammates this year, plus getting 100 assists, and having the most points in the league, he ends up empty handed.
No not at all................nor would he care, look at the way he carries himself.
He wants to get paid, and win the Cup..................endless talent, endless jerk, so be it..........he seems to like it that way.

Nothing to see here.....

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
There was a breakdown of who each of McDavid, MacK and Kuch were getting there points off of

Kuch had a way higher ppg against top 5 and 10 teams, and lower against bottom feeders. It was reverse basically for the other two guys

I don’t mind it ultimately, but “politics” absolutely plays into it. MacKinnon was “overdue” and a lot of writers were pissy with Kucherov at the all star game

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2