Is Kucherov getting slighted for awards?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GoldenKnight

Jun 2, 2017
Las Vegas
The simple answer is yes. Kucherov is not a very likable player. First off he is Russian. So a language barrier is going to keep him from bonding with players around the league, who all are North American. I don't see him winning the Lindsay ever, which is definitely a popularity contest amongst players. If he didn't win it in 2019, he ain't winning that trophy.

Kucherov DID win the Lindsay in 2019.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I think if a winger is head 2 head for a hart or conn smythe with any of the other positions, they usually get the short end of the stick.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Kuch not winning this year does make me believe those Russian conspiracy theory posters a little bit more

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
People harping on the 100 assists are missing that, perceptionally, mcdavid doing it earlier in the same season devalues the accomplishment, makes it less standout.

Regardless of that, MacK’s WOWY numbers were historic and that probably had a lot to do with it too.

5th player in history to do it but it holds less weight because Mcdavid (one of the GOAT) did?

Also, he is the only winger to ever hit that mark.
Doesn’t matter, someone beat him to the punch in the same season, it could
Never have the same visceral impact as him being the only one

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
5th player in history to do it but it holds less weight because Mcdavid (one of the GOAT) did?

Also, he is the only winger to ever hit that mark.

It's about perception. If a real high mark is accomplished by two players in the same season it diminishes the accomplishment even if only by a fraction. Could have been the difference in him lossing the award. He was also the second to hit it last season, meaning McDavid got more of the spotlight for hitting it.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
This thread is just sour grapes and being a sore loser. No need to slight MacKinnon or Hedman, they deserved their awards. Most points =/= automatic Hart/Smythe win.

Get over it or don’t, but there’s no conspiracy
Three (?) people left Kucherov off the ballot completely. This is just bananas, and those people should not be voting ever again.

I would give it to Kucherov because I like his cerebral play, because I think he WAS more important to his team than McK, and, because 40+ goals / 100+ assists Mark (3rd after 99 and 66) is pretty special.

But two Smythe worthy playoffs and one Hart worthy season with zero hardware is pretty unusual.

Mario's 199 points laughs at this thread, Imagine how he felt. Not saying Gretzky didn't deseve it for his Kings impact. But 1989 is actually a valid debate.

No one was robbed this year. Even the players agree.
Mario didn't win the Hart OR Lindsay. Clearly his peers thought Yzerman was better.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
People harping on the 100 assists are missing that, perceptionally, mcdavid doing it earlier in the same season devalues the accomplishment, makes it less standout.

Regardless of that, MacK’s WOWY numbers were historic and that probably had a lot to do with it too.

Doesn’t matter, someone beat him to the punch in the same season, it could
Never have the same visceral impact as him being the only one
Still the only winger to ever do it. And I see all over the place how Center is the more valuable position, and more a playmaker role. Yet Kucherov plays a different position but still puts up the numbers a center does. He has to dig the puck off the boards more as well, and then deliver the pass. He doesn't just sit there and wait for passes from centers, he's the playmaker when he's on the ice.

Reactions: Beyonder91

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
It's about perception. If a real high mark is accomplished by two players in the same season it diminishes the accomplishment even if only by a fraction. Could have been the difference in him lossing the award. He was also the second to hit it last season, meaning McDavid got more of the spotlight for hitting it.

Kucherov is the first winger to hit it and he set an NHL record for most assists in a season by a winger.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
There's definitely an anti-Russian feel to it, same as the 2 Smythes he should have.

Pick your criteria, Kucherov was the better Hart choice this year.

Value to the team? Kucherov had a point on 49.4% of Tampa's goals and had 60% more points than #2 on his team.
Better season? Kucherov won the Ross and did something only Gretzky, Mario, Orr and McDavid have done with 100 assists.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I've never bought in to the 'anti-Russian' thing before, but there's no way Mac was more valuable to his team this year than Kucherov was.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
There's definitely an anti-Russian feel to it, same as the 2 Smythes he should have.

Pick your criteria, Kucherov was the better Hart choice this year.

Value to the team? Kucherov had a point on 50% of Tampa's goals and had 60% more points than #2 on his team.
Better season? Kucherov won the Ross and did something only Gretzky, Mario, Orr and McDavid have done with 100 assists.

Just a small correction! :)
And the only winger to ever hit 100 assists

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Three (?) people left Kucherov off the ballot completely. This is just bananas, and those people should not be voting ever again.

I would give it to Kucherov because I like his cerebral play, because I think he WAS more important to his team than McK, and, because 40+ goals / 100+ assists Mark (3rd after 99 and 66) is pretty special.

But two Smythe worthy playoffs and one Hart worthy season with zero hardware is pretty unusual.

Mario didn't win the Hart OR Lindsay. Clearly his peers thought Yzerman was better.
Hedman was fantastic in 2020 and Vasi was fantastic in 2021. I don’t think you’ll find many Lightning fans having issue with those selections.

Kucherov won a Ross for his efforts this season and that’s amazing. I was actually expecting McDavid to get the Lindsay but MacK is a fine candidate as well.

These are subjective awards. Just because your guy didn’t win doesn’t mean it’s rigged against him. How about gave some respect for the other players in the league and their talent + effort instead of whining???

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Kucherov is the first winger to hit it and he set an NHL record for most assists in a season by a winger.

Does anyone really care about this distinction? A forward is a forward imo especially in today's game where it is much more about who is f1, f2 etc then it is about playing set positions.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
My point here is that people are making that 100th assist out to be worth significantly more than the 99th. And that doesn't really make sense to me.

In a vacuum, under normal circumstances, people would tend to say a guy with a 50-50-100 stat line had a more impressive season than a guy that was 30-70-100. There's no such thing as a secondary goal. Goals carry a touch more weight. And I don't see why that should change, as long as the total point numbers remain close. Achieving an arbitrary milestone shouldn't reverse that.

If MacKinnon has 50 goals and 70 assists, Kucherov sweeps the awards. Goals aren't worth that much more. But that isn't where we landed. The players and media stuck to their usual playbook, and people shouldn't be surprised. It was just two years ago that Matthews took the awards while be 30 assists back of McDavid.
You seem to be overblowing this whole 'well rounded thing' as if Kucherov put up significantly less goals than MacK. The reality is that Kucherov got well over 40 goals himself, and finished top 10 in goal scoring as well. I don't see how Kucherov isn't 'well rounded' because of his goal scoring. To play devils advocate, if Kucherov puts up a handful more goals he is well rounded, but because he finished with 44 he is lacking in the goal scoring department?

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Hedman was fantastic in 2020 and Vasi was fantastic in 2021. I don’t think you’ll find many Lightning fans having issue with those selections.

Kucherov won a Ross for his efforts this season and that’s amazing. I was actually expecting McDavid to get the Lindsay but MacK is a fine candidate as well.

These are subjective awards. Just because your guy didn’t win doesn’t mean it’s rigged against him. How about gave some respect for the other players in the league and their talent + effort instead of whining???
I didn't say it was a conspiracy to pick Vasilevsky and MacK over Kucherov. I said it was unusual.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad