Is Kucherov getting slighted for awards?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
The simple answer is yes. Kucherov is not a very likable player. First off he is Russian. So a language barrier is going to keep him from bonding with players around the league, who all are North American. I don't see him winning the Lindsay ever, which is definitely a popularity contest amongst players. If he didn't win it in 2019, he ain't winning that trophy.

As for Hart voting, there are definitely some biases this year that have everything to do with the All Star game. That is a media event, where the NHL is sticking their hands out for money from the media. Kucherov and his ego had to make it all about him, and make a joke of the event. This pissed off the NHL and important powers in the media, no question.
The guy doesn't have an ego. He's just truly uncomfortable in those situations. He's never talking about how good he is, although he definitely has the resume to do so. Not everyone is good in front of a camera or wants to have one focused on him. He entertains the fans on the ice with his commitment and play in games. These "competitions" where the spotlight is on him in a one on one situation is not his thing. He doesn't have a choice about showing up I don't think, even if he's super uncomfortable...the league doesn't care if he is. That's actually not his fault. Can't force someone to have a bubbly personality that can engage one on one with fans. Everything I have ever read about him is positive. He's just introverted - and that should be respected not reviled. Now if he said "I'm to good to be wasting my time with this," then there can be some backlash for ego. He just wants the focus to not be on him - seems to be the complete opposite of ego driven.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Arguably could have been a Conn Smythe winner in 2021 leading playoff scoring by 9 points.
And today he lost out for both the Ted Lindsay and Hart award.

Considering his lead over other teammates this year, plus getting 100 assists, and having the most points in the league, he ends up empty handed.
It’s not just about points. Watching him play and playing against him play a part in the votes too.

Doing things poorly count in votes too. And Kuch is amazing at some things and flat out bad at others. The media and fellow players see those things.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Does anyone really care about this distinction? A forward is a forward imo especially in today's game where it is much more about who is f1, f2 etc then it is about playing set positions.
I would hope so. Do you know when the last time a winger (besides Kucherov) had over 80 assists in a season? Jagr had 83 in 1999. Kucherov just put up 100 and set a new NHL assist record for a winger.

Yes, I would say an NHL record is quite a distinction.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You seem to be overblowing this whole 'well rounded thing' as if Kucherov put up significantly less goals than MacK. The reality is that Kucherov got well over 40 goals himself, and finished top 10 in goal scoring as well. I don't see how Kucherov isn't 'well rounded' because of his goal scoring. To play devils advocate, if Kucherov puts up a handful more goals he is well rounded, but because he finished with 44 he is lacking in the goal scoring department?

I just don't think the 100 assist milestone is as important as you guys do, and trading out some assists for some goals is a positive, not a negative.

In comparison to MacKinnon, yes he was lacking in goal scoring this year. If Kucherov had a handful more goals, he wins. If he trades some of his assists for goals, he also wins. Voters like goals and that isn't new this year.

Reactions: GoldenKnight

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
It's been mentioned, but he really stood out at the All-Star Game this year. Not in a good way. Should that matter?

If he doesn't care about this stuff, should anyone else feel motivated to care about him? Outside of his market, he has a reputation as kind of an asshole, and these are popularity contests at the end of the day. The same factors will be there when it comes time to make his case for the HOF. He's going to need to accumulate an exceptionally strong body of work to overcome the fact that most of the league doesn't like him. Kucherov isn't going to win any close ones.
He did assemble that in his season this year. Being a play making winger and not a guy waiting for centers to deliver him the puck. He carries the play even without being a center. He's an alternate captain for a reason - and not because he's a jerk with questionable work ethic.

And I don't think he has an option to bow out of All Star games, even if he's uncomfortable being there. The guy isn't a jerk...he's shy and doesn't like the spotlight. Nothing wrong with that.

And if there is even a question of him being inducted into the HHOF after the career he's had up to just this point, then there's something seriously wrong. He's beyond deserving.

Reactions: Beyonder91

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
If anything it is easy for a winger to rack up points. A center has a much bigger mandate on the ice. I play center, n if I ever have to play wing for a game or couple shifts its like a day on the beach
Watch him play and then you'd see he's not sitting there racking up points as he accepts passes. He's the one passing the puck everywhere and driving the play and plays the minutes a first line center would. Tampa fans wish he would shoot more instead of looking to make a pass. He's not a typical winger.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
I would have voted MacKinnon, and also would have voted MacKinnon if both players had Hart Trophies already. MacKinnon was the (slightly) better player on the year. Offensive stats were basically a wash (Kuch more points, Mack more goals), but most advanced stats had MacKinnon as the better defensive player which is the difference.
Doesn't work in a vacuum. Tampa decided to implement a new defensive scheme this season and it failed miserably across every player on the team.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The guy doesn't have an ego. He's just truly uncomfortable in those situations. He's never talking about how good he is, although he definitely has the resume to do so. Not everyone is good in front of a camera or wants to have one focused on him. He entertains the fans on the ice with his commitment and play in games. These "competitions" where the spotlight is on him in a one on one situation is not his thing. He doesn't have a choice about showing up I don't think, even if he's super uncomfortable...the league doesn't care if he is. That's actually not his fault. Can't force someone to have a bubbly personality that can engage one on one with fans. Everything I have ever read about him is positive. He's just introverted - and that should be respected not reviled. Now if he said "I'm to good to be wasting my time with this," then there can be some backlash for ego. He just wants the focus to not be on him - seems to be the complete opposite of ego driven.

Former Tampa teammate Cedric Paquette (now playing in KHL) recently gave an interview to Russian media. About Kucherov he said:

"He is always grumpy in the locker room, but he's very concentrated - like he exists in a spacesuit.
He's very focused on hockey and the upcoming game. That said, he can be funny. He's an excellent professional; always the first to go to practice and shows off his skill in games. But yea he looks a little bit grouchy but that's his character."

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Watch him play and then you'd see he's not sitting there racking up points as he accepts passes. He's the one passing the puck everywhere and driving the play and plays the minutes a first line center would. Tampa fans wish he would shoot more instead of looking to make a pass. He's not a typical winger.

Exactly why I don't subject to the winger argument. He's essentially the center on the ice in everything except where he starts on faceoffs. Like most top end centers everything goes through him. Patrick Kane was the same way.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
Exactly why I don't subject to the winger argument. He's essentially the center on the ice in everything except where he starts on faceoffs. Like most top end centers everything goes through him. Patrick Kane was the same way.
He is but he's spending alot of time digging pucks from the boards as well.

Mackinnon had a great season. I think Kucherov was a little bit more impressive and should have won. But there is extremely little justification for Kucherov not being a close second. Where some put him in ranking is ridiculous and why there is certainly a level of disrespect here.

There's not a smarter hockey player in the game today. And that is just as awesome as being the fastest skater, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: surixon

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Yeah, he chose to wear the $18 million over the cap t shirt because he doesn't have an ego, give me a break. He just seems like a bad dude from his on and off ice demeanor.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
Yeah, he chose to wear the $18 million over the cap t shirt because he doesn't have an ego, give me a break. He just seems like a bad dude from his on and off ice demeanor.
That's what you go with? Because he wore a t-shirt after he was trolled for faking an injury - which he didn't do (it's called sarcasm). If he wanted to display an ego he'd wear a t-shirt along the lines of 'smartest hockey player ever' or 'you wish you were this good.'

His demeanor is of a person who wants to keep to himself. And if he was a bad dude his teammates and coaches would hate him, which there's no one that says anything along those lines.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Flashy Canadian vs Introverted Russian. Media decided they were going to give it to Mackinnon about a quarter of the way through the season and never really budged, a lot of the old criteria's for Hart just sorta went out the window.
Lol. MacKinnon flashy… imagine reaching this far just to play the victim.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
While the gap between Kuch and the next highest point getter on the Bolts was greater than that between Mac and the next highest point getter on the Avs, but Kuch had better talent around him who contributed more to the offense.

Four next highest point totals on the Bolts - over 320 points
Four next highest point totals on the Avs - over 300 points

If there is this idea that Kucherov has no talent around him being bandied about in this thread, that is incorrect.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
While the gap between Kuch and the next highest point getter on the Bolts was greater than that between Mac and the next highest point getter on the Avs, but Kuch had better talent around him who contributed more to the offense.

If there is this idea that Kucherov has no talent around him being bandied about in this thread, that is incorrect.
If Kucherov didn’t have talent around him, he wouldn’t get 100 assists. Someone has to finish on those assists

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa

Not the argument. The argument for this season is literally every player besides him was underperforming. He carried this team the entire season. And if the Lightning scored in a game, Kucherov was involved the majority of the time.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The guy doesn't have an ego. He's just truly uncomfortable in those situations. He's never talking about how good he is, although he definitely has the resume to do so. Not everyone is good in front of a camera or wants to have one focused on him. He entertains the fans on the ice with his commitment and play in games. These "competitions" where the spotlight is on him in a one on one situation is not his thing. He doesn't have a choice about showing up I don't think, even if he's super uncomfortable...the league doesn't care if he is. That's actually not his fault. Can't force someone to have a bubbly personality that can engage one on one with fans. Everything I have ever read about him is positive. He's just introverted - and that should be respected not reviled. Now if he said "I'm too good to be wasting my time with this," then there can be some backlash for ego. He just wants the focus to not be on him - seems to be the complete opposite of ego driven.
Kucherov has a huge ego and is very unlikeable.

That said he was absolutely robbed of the hart this season

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Not the argument. The argument for this season is literally every player besides him was underperforming. He carried this team the entire season. And if the Lightning scored in a game, Kucherov was involved the majority of the time.
In fairness you could basically say the same for McDavid and MacKinnon down the stretch. They were automatic. My handicappers know whats up. All 3 of them were a treat to watch, and this was the most fun Art Ross race in a long time. I think when you look at them as all having a pretty equal impact, and having similar numbers, you logically expect the Hart to favor the one that edged the others out in the Art Ross race. The fact he was left off ballots and not even put 2nd or 3rd on some is actually insane, and why you can't deny there is a bias.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
That obnoxious post cup rant from 2021.

Nikita Kucherov: "The fans in Montreal acted like they won the Stanley Cup last game. Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me? Their final was last round."

gl1yxs1smnb71.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Frank Drebin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad