Is king Karl defying makars premature generational label?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
Seeing how Karlsson is outperforming his counterparts with body parts that doesn't even belong to him in his mid 30s must raise this question. I know Canadians have been waiting long to have their defenseman but is that a reason to make someone out to something they're not? Don't get me wrong makar is GOOD. He's as good as king Karl is after 20 injuries and on the wrong side of the career while he don't get to feed or any top players like others...

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Seeing how Karlsson is outperforming his counterparts with body parts that doesn't even belong to him in his mid 30s must raise this question. I know Canadians have been waiting long to have their defenseman but is that a reason to make someone out to something they're not? Don't get me wrong makar is GOOD. He's as good as king Karl is after 20 injuries and on the wrong side of the career while he don't get to feed or any top players like others...
I have to be honest, your Post is somewhat confusing & it took me a few read through’s to get what I think is an adequate understanding.

I personally think that Makar is indeed well on the way to being a Generational Talent & hope his health allows him to reach his potential & play at his peak for many many years.

As for Karlsson, although I’m not really a Sharks fan, I always cheer for players to come back & Erik seems to be having a renaissance Season, which is awesome to see. One of the most exciting & entertaining players over the last decade until injuries hampered his skating & personal tragedy likely affected him emotionally.

I hope Karlsson continues his amazing play & we get more glimpses of his prior greatness.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The best threads on all of HF come from the 15 game sample size conclusions. EK has a career shooting percentage of 6.7% and never once in his career has he shot above 8.7%.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and make the assumption that 10 goals in 18 games, on 55 shots for an 18.2% shooting percentage are not sustainable.

Great to see him have a nice little resurgence though. Good chance het gets 60+ points this year and may score 20 goals.

Last edited:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Seem to remember the same stuff after the playoffs this past summer. Many people yelled "small sample size!!!", Colorado fans yelled "Best since ORR!" :rolleyes:
Eh well... Makar got the cup ring pretty much instantly after he entered the league and hasn't had any down years. EK has been around for a while, including few last years of catastrophic play and zero cup rings. Now after 18 games into the season people are suddenly bringing him back from the dead.

That's not just small sample size, that's biased sample size!

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Eh well... Makar got the cup ring pretty much instantly after he entered the league and hasn't had any down years. EK has been around for a while, including few last years of catastrophic play and zero cup rings. Now after 18 games into the season people are suddenly bringing him back from the dead.

I'd like to read this post with the hyperbole toned down

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
The best threads on all of HF come from the 15 game sample size conclusions. EK has a career shooting percentage of 6.7% and never once in his career has he shot above 8.7%.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and make the assumption that 10 goals in 18 games, on 55 shots for an 18.2% shooting percentage are not sustainable.

Great to see him have a nice little resurgence though. Good chance het gets 60+ points this year and may score 20 goals.
Complaining at small sample size at the player who once finished 4th in overall scoring.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden

He hasn't had any catastrophic seasons. Even in his worst seasons he's above 0,5 points per game. You could criticize his defensive play but given the team he's on he's more useful trying to score.

But yeah, Makar and young EK are actually great comparisons, similar playstyles even.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
He hasn't had any catastrophic seasons. Even in his worst seasons he's above 0,5 points per game. You could criticize his defensive play but given the team he's on he's more useful trying to score.

But yeah, Makar and young EK are actually great comparisons, similar playstyles even.
Catastrophic might sound like the wrong word here, but players that make 10M$+ do have to carry extra responsibility. Im basically throwing him under the bus for what his team has accomplished, but I feel like that is fair considering his status.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Catastrophic might sound like the wrong word here, but players that make 10M$+ do have to carry extra responsibility. Im basically throwing him under the bus for what his team has accomplished, but I feel like that is fair considering his status.

During his time in San Jose he's scoring at a .67 points per game rate which averages out to 54 points per 82 games. He's doing this on a bad team with a lot of health issues. He was great the first two years.

Reactions: murrough and abo9

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I hope Karlsson does have a great full year but I don’t understand the point of this thread, why Karlsson fans get suuuuper defensive of people talking up Makar.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Not sure Makar have that label to begin with, Karlsson is also borderline.

What it might show is that Makar is not heads andshoulders above(Karlsson) as some, other, hyperbole threads stated at end of last season. Now odds good Makar will pass him in due time in part due to injuries but who knows what happens.

Anyway it's just a few games thus far and Karlsson has been lucky with shots but I doubt he is as good now as 6 years ago and it just goes to show that he is an elite(borderline Generational) talent just as Makar.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
« Canadians » don’t give a shit about « having their Defenceman », not sure where you get this narrative from.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
What does EK having a bounce back season have to do with Makar? Karlsson hasn’t been anything close to a top 5 defenseman in the league the last few years prior. People raving about Makar (or Fox or Hedman or Josi) has nothing to do with how Karlsson is perceived and has nothing to do with posters “out to slight” “King Karl”.

Is this Erik’s HF burner account or something?

Reactions: rangersfansince08

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
What does EK having a bounce back season have to do with Makar? Karlsson hasn’t been anything close to a top 5 defenseman in the league the last few years prior. People raving about Makar (or Fox or Hedman or Josi) has nothing to do with how Karlsson is perceived and has nothing to do with posters “out to slight” “King Karl”.

Is this Erik’s HF burner account or something?

I guess it's in relation to this, rather large and stupid, thread. Has Cale Makar already surpassed a prime Erik Karlsson in just his first 4 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad