Is KHL still the best league in Europe?

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
The Dallman reference was one I picked up on NHL Sirius radio a while back and they pointed out the AHL is still the 2nd best league in the world. Not something I ever considered but I thought it was a valid point when I considered it. And didn’t the AHL do an All Star game against a Sweden team a couple years ago and won like 7-1. They whipped them good. It makes sense because a lot of these AHL teams have some quality NHL prospects. The North American guys that go to Europe are guys looking for work or are trying to re-establish their career for a 2nd shot at the NHL.

A solid comparison is minor league baseball. AA vs AAA
Generally speaking AA has more talented players but they're a bit younger and lesser developed. AAA is a higher level of play but comprised of more developed players; mainly career minor leaguers.
This is reflected in the AHL's veteran limit.

AA = AHL
AAA = Elite European Leagues

Last edited:
Reactions: LoneRangerNHL

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The SHL level of play is pretty good, it might even challenge the KHL if they where able to pay the best Swede to play in it.

As an oilers fan, I cant really get on board of comparing the SHL to the KHL, when I see guys like Ty Rattie that couldn't consistently crack the top 6 of a middling KHL team that was made of Anton Lander and Magnus Paajarvi, to lead the whole SHL (2nd) pts (3rd goal)
If SHL had the best swedes in it from NHL, it would be better than KHL

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
If SHL had the best swedes in it from NHL, it would be better than KHL

Not if all the top russian where playing in the khl too...

The CHL would still destroy both if all the "canadian" left the nhl too....

It's a moot point. None of the home league have theirs best players playing in it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad