Is KHL still the best league in Europe?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
The biggest problem with the AHL isn't the player pool in itself as much as it is their purpose of being there. Talented players are in the league only to eventually develop into NHLers, not to play good hockey as teams or even just win games. Teammates are often rivals competing for the same place in the Sun.
Coaching is a real mixed bag too, from pretty much NHL quality to players saying it was extremely basic.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
The SHL level of play is pretty good, it might even challenge the KHL if they where able to pay the best Swede to play in it.

As an oilers fan, I cant really get on board of comparing the SHL to the KHL, when I see guys like Ty Rattie that couldn't consistently crack the top 6 of a middling KHL team that was made of Anton Lander and Magnus Paajarvi, to lead the whole SHL (2nd) pts (3rd goal)

• Wow
Reactions: Imgoingtowork

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
The SHL level of play is pretty good, it might even challenge the KHL if they where able to pay the best Swede to play in it.

As an oilers fan, I cant really get on board of comparing the SHL to the KHL, when I see guys like Ty Rattie that couldn't consistently crack the top 6 of a middling KHL team that was made of Anton Lander and Magnus Paajarvi, to lead the whole SHL (2nd) pts (3rd goal)
It's quite a bit about style too. Sakari Manninen was a point machine in the KHL but could not figure out Swedish defences.

André Petersson also scored at a significantly better clip in the KHL.

The KHL is still better, but you can find lots of Players who did well in one of the leagues and significantly worse ib the other. Watch the games and you will see that the gap is not enormous.

• Haha

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
It's quite a bit about style too. Sakari Manninen was a point machine in the KHL but could not figure out Swedish defences.

André Petersson also scored at a significantly better clip in the KHL.

The KHL is still better, but you can find lots of Players who did well in one of the leagues and significantly worse ib the other. Watch the games and you will see that the gap is not enormous.

Really?

I would not say that 255pts in 327game for 0.77 ppg in the KHL
is significantly better than 63pts in 76 games for 0.83 ppg in the SHL.

If anything he is a bit past his prime at 33 year old and he still score at a higher rate in the SHL than his whole KHL days.

I don't watch a lot of SHL games I give you that, but it have more to do with how cumbersome getting access to them it is than anything else, if you have a legit subscription model suggestion, I might give it an honest try

• Wow

Imgoingtowork

Apr 15, 2024
National teams are bigger hockey circulation.

I only watching Germany meet Slovakia in this year's championship.

Last edited:

Fil

Nov 1, 2023
No, the depth is atrocious. The best czech players there are really good, but it gets thin quickly. The fact that Swedish HA players aren't completely embarrassed there says it all.
As a czech I can confirm, though depth is actually pretty good for teams like Dynamo,Sparta and Trinec (3 richest teams I think)

Liiga has gotten much worse and there is no way the AHL is better than the SHL. Otherwise the order is correct. I would have it like this:

KHL
SHL
AHL
NLA

Liiga

DEL
Extra liga

The AHL has too many players gifted a roster spot for development to beat the SHL.
And no way you put DEL over extraliga.

Reactions: mattihp

Imgoingtowork

Apr 15, 2024
The world's best hockey league is in North America, everyone knows damn I was speaking true, however, the KHL is not inferior the NHL, however, there were hockey class Russians and hockey talent Russians in Russia, the NHL is international league I have right or incorrect?

LoneRangerNHL

Oct 19, 2023
The KHL probably has better high end talent (most talented top players and most talented top teams), but the average level of competition may already be higher at the SHL and the lack of international players will hurt the KHL even further. Hockey is an international sport and a domestic league of an international sport that doesn't have international players will soon be relegated. Its early in the process yet, but I would say they've opened a huge lane for the SHL to take the baton as the undisputed #2 in the world.
Number 2 in the world is still the AHL.
There’s guys like Kevin Dallman who couldn’t do much in the states, pros or minors, but in Russia he was a rock star.

• Haha

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I’m sorry guys but it’s a yes. As much as the Scandinavians don’t like it, the Slavs still rein supreme.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
There’s guys like Kevin Dallman who couldn’t do much in the states, pros or minors, but in Russia he was a rock star.

It's difficult to compare the AHL to the KHL, SHL, NL, etc. because its primary purpose is development. Winning isn't priority #1.

Even so, tons of Russian guys have said it's not a very skilled league. It's extremely physical but quite lacking in combination play.

Reactions: LoneRangerNHL

Imgoingtowork

Apr 15, 2024
The Swiss league is not as strong as the KHL.

The Russians have compare to the NHL.

Actually small benefit to the NHL.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Dallman played 154 games in the NHL. Not sure why you'd think he wouldn't have been a very top AHL player throughout the prime years he spent in the KHL (Was 27-37 when he played there). Canadian guys like Bud Holloway, Greg Scott, Chris Abbott, Brendan Shinnimin, Adam Tambellini, Maximillian Veronneau that had good careers in the SHL never really made it to the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad