is Jesper Bratt the biggest draft steal the last 10 years?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Nah Bratt is closer to fox than Mcdavid

Mcdavid is the 3rd-5th best hockey player ever

Fox is the 3rd best Rangers Defenseman ever after Leetch and Park

Mcdavid is comparable only to Gretzky Lemieux, Orr and Howe
Fox may well be in the top 100 when all said and done. Bratt may not be in the top 500....

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Nah Bratt is closer to fox than Mcdavid

Mcdavid is the 3rd-5th best hockey player ever

Fox is the 3rd best Rangers Defenseman ever after Leetch and Park

Mcdavid is comparable only to Gretzky Lemieux, Orr and Howe
It's hard to compare different eras but I wouldn't say it's so clear that Park was better even if Leetch probably was. And I watched all three for many games.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It's hard to compare different eras but I wouldn't say it's so clear that Park was better even if Leetch probably was. And I watched all three for many games.
I would say Park was definitely better, he was runner up for the Norris 6x
4 to Orr and 2 to Potvin
Also watched them all

Reactions: My3Sons

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
While Kap and Fox are solid choices, both had extenuating circumstances attached to them that likely was a drag on their draft position. Kap was signed for years and there was concern about when/if he would come over to the NHL

I don't think Kaprizov had any such contract related concerns at the time of the draft. He did sign a 3 year extension on his draft year but it was two months after the draft, so it couldn't have played a part in his draft position.

More likely he fell because of his size and the Russian factor, and possibly just being underscouted.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I would say Park was definitely better, he was runner up for the Norris 6x
4 to Orr and 2 to Potvin
Also watched them all
Fox to me looks more versatile and better defensively than Park was (maybe even better than Leetch in that regard). I think Fox gets a bit shortchanged at times because of how big defenders have become in comparison. Beyond that you make a good point. We are looking at Leetch and Park in retrospect while Fox is still only 26. In another 10 years Fox may have another Norris or two and maybe some more high finishes. But don't you live in Canada? You had to go fairly far out of your way to watch those guys. Especially in Park's era.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Fox to me looks more versatile and better defensively than Park was (maybe even better than Leetch in that regard). I think Fox gets a bit shortchanged at times because of how big defenders have become in comparison. Beyond that you make a good point. We are looking at Leetch and Park in retrospect while Fox is still only 26. In another 10 years Fox may have another Norris or two and maybe some more high finishes. But don't you live in Canada? You had to go fairly far out of your way to watch those guys. Especially in Park's era.
Not really there weren’t many teams in the east, so probably 5-10x a year plus playoffs. Guess we’ll disagree then, as I rate Park higher.

Reactions: My3Sons

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Probably the biggest New Jersey Devils draft steal in the last ten years, but within the division, conference, or league, no.

Reactions: Michoulicious

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Hmmm Point was drafted June 2014 which is now OVER 10 years ago so he doesn’t qualify
Fo3gfxsaAAA93OM.jpg

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Yet to see a player comparable yet in this thread.

-Kaprizov was a shot in the dark who people didn't think would come to the NHL and his long KHL contract with the added benefit of coming over to the Wild at 23 years old.

-Point is a 3rd round pick. who isn't comparable to a 6th rounder.

-Goalies always go late in drafts

- Fox Wasn't a steal. He didn't play for the team that drafted him,

If Fox is allowed then Brandon Hagel would actually be the correct answer as he at least was the main part of the trade to Tampa and got the Hawks two 1st.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
He is a 6th rounder who has scored 70+ points the last three seasons. Has any other low ranked pick had as much success in the last 10 years?
Probably doing a tiny bit of research and presenting a few in this case would help because as many have posted already, there's quite a few that are just as much of a steal if not better.

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Hopefully it'll be Dustin Wolf soon
68041734108b777e43cfbc78ee08d753.gif

Probably doing a tiny bit of research and presenting a few in this case would help because as many have posted already, there's quite a few that are just as much of a steal if not better.
also saying the last decade is really just 5 or 6 years since late round picks usually take longer to reach the NHL

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
That’s not the original question, Kaprisov is your answer.

Its closer than you think. Kaprisov is a better player but the Devils got 4 extra years of Bratt. Would you rather have 4 years of Kaprizov or 8 years of Bratt?

Reactions: Xirik

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Kaprizov isn't a steal, Everyone knew he was talented, he was selected 1st OV in the KHL junior draft! Everyone knew he was going to extend his KHL contract and there was legit concern if he would ever come to the NHL.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Kaprizov isn't a steal, Everyone knew he was talented, he was selected 1st OV in the KHL junior draft! Everyone knew he was going to extend his KHL contract and there was legit concern if he would ever come to the NHL.
There was a risk, Minnesota took it, and it paid off. How is that not a steal? You are underpaying (3rd round pick) for what you get (top line winger).

Reactions: Phrasing

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
There was a risk, Minnesota took it, and it paid off. How is that not a steal? You are underpaying (3rd round pick) for what you get (top line winger).

He also played one year on an ELC and then immediately $9mil. Minnesota got much less cap flexibility that you typically get with drafted players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad