is Jesper Bratt the biggest draft steal the last 10 years?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Fox, along with Hamilton, got the Flames a 1B C in Lindholm, and at top pair D in Hanifin. Those guys played 12 combined seasons at under 5 million.

They got 8 pieces for those two at the deadline as UFAs… people vastly undersell the value they got in the Fox deal, by far Treliving’s best move in his tenure.

Also I always love to bring up the fact that I got called a homer repeatedly for being one of the only posters on here to hype up Fox in his college career. Hyping him up by calling him “a top 50 prospect”. A status he never attained on HF while property of the Flames (or Canes).

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Kaprizov by far, 3 x 40 goal seasons, 100 points, 90 points that's superstar numbers.

Reactions: tailfins

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
A freshly turned 19 year old 6th round pick making the league at all is unheard of but doing it as a solid player right off the bat was something else. Then being a legit top 6 caliber player year 2. His career arc is astounding

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Uh, trying to figure out how a guy telling his draft team to f*** off makes it any less of an intelligent pick where it was made.

This is about having the eye for the talent. You can't help if the talent doesn't want to play for you. (Well, sometimes you can... But in this case Fox didn't want to go anywhere but NYR)
Do you not know the reason Adam Fox fell so far? Do you think other teams just weren't aware of the talent and the Flames were the ones who had scouted his talent level the best?

Playing in NCAA -> not projected to play in NHL before 22 years of age -> will get picked later than deserved by talent

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Fox, along with Hamilton, got the Flames a 1B C in Lindholm, and at top pair D in Hanifin. Those guys played 12 combined seasons at under 5 million.

They got 8 pieces for those two at the deadline as UFAs… people vastly undersell the value they got in the Fox deal, by far Treliving’s best move in his tenure.

Also I always love to bring up the fact that I got called a homer repeatedly for being one of the only posters on here to hype up Fox in his college career. Hyping him up by calling him “a top 50 prospect”. A status he never attained on HF while property of the Flames (or Canes).
Phrasing it like that seems like it was fox who was the key piece in that deal and not the 25 year old Norris contending dman.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Technically it's past the cutoff considering 2015 to 2024 is ten drafts.

But yeah, there's probably a handful of better steals within that frame, including one that plays for, but wasn't drafted by, the Rangers.

But you can't even really put the 2024 draft into the discussion, since zero hockey has been played since that draft at any level.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
"good top 6 winger"

Bratt finished 11th among wingers in points last year, 11th in points/60, and 5th among wingers in even strength points/60 (9th among all players in the NHL)
Yah, I said he was good. He is still a winger. I'd bet the farm he never sniffs a major award or a first team all stars.

Fox is and will continue to be a Norris candidate playing one of the most valuable positions in the NHL. They are not close in value.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Yah, I said he was good. He is still a winger. I'd bet the farm he never sniffs a major award or a first team all stars.

Fox is and will continue to be a Norris candidate playing one of the most valuable positions in the NHL. They are not close in value.
They were also not even remotely close in draft position.

I guess the biggest draft steal is Connor McDavid then, I mean fox isn't even close to him

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I think the question is how likely is each to be found in their respective draft rounds. Of course Fox is the better and more valuable player. That's a given. But are similar players ever picked in his draft round? When was the last time a winger of Bratt's ability was picked in the sixth round? My guess is the answer it was a long time ago. Even Kaprizov, who again, is the much better player, was picked in the fifth round. Beyond that why should anyone listen to a player hater?

Edit: The guy above shows Mark Stone in the sixth round so that would seem to be the answer. I have no idea if anyone similar to Fox was picked in the third round?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I think the question is how likely is each to be found in their respective draft rounds. Of course Fox is the better and more valuable player. That's a given. But are similar players ever picked in his draft round? When was the last time a winger of Bratt's ability was picked in the sixth round? My guess is the answer it was a long time ago. Even Kaprizov, who again, is the much better player, was picked in the fifth round. Beyond that why should anyone listen to a player hater?

Edit: The guy above shows Mark Stone in the sixth round so that would seem to be the answer. I have no idea if anyone similar to Fox was picked in the third round?
Ya obviously Kaprisov is the answer to the OP question

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
They were also not even remotely close in draft position.

I guess the biggest draft steal is Connor McDavid then, I mean fox isn't even close to him
Fox is closer to McDavid then Bratt is to Fox.

Also, do you actually feel real physical pain when someone, anywhere on the Internet doesn't agree with you on how good a NJ player is? Or is it just emotional pain?

Imagine if someone actually insulted Bratt, Hughes or Hischer rather than just not extolling their virtues enough. Your head might explode.

• Haha
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Fox is closer to McDavid then Bratt is to Fox.

Also, do you actually feel real physical pain when someone, anywhere on the Internet doesn't agree with you on how good a NJ player is? Or is it just emotional pain?

Imagine if someone actually insulted Bratt, Hughes or Hischer rather than just not extolling their virtues enough. Your head might explode.
Nah Bratt is closer to fox than Mcdavid

Mcdavid is the 3rd-5th best hockey player ever

Fox is the 3rd best Rangers Defenseman ever after Leetch and Park

Mcdavid is comparable only to Gretzky Lemieux, Orr and Howe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad