Is Jelly Roll the future of music?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
How do you get Cobain, Hendrix or Morrison out of this guy? Sounds like a typical country song

EDIT: Kurt Cobain wasn't trying to sound like Hendrix, Hendrix wasn't trying to sound like Elvis. To be one of those guys you need to do things other's can't or won't.

Number of factors, part of it is just cultural. Just something about him that seems to reflect the culture of our times. The fact that country music is taking over guitar based music is a massive part of it.

The fact that he's an ironic superstar. He represents a kind of counter culture that can blended seamlessly with very mainstream country music. The fact he can do some sort of rap music without missing a beat. The fact he represents the kind of America that doesn't translate to twitter/social media in the way a Taylor swift will.

He has that magical ability like kurt cobain, to write lyrics and vocal melody's that regular musicians would never get away with. Because they violate common sense rules for what quality music is.

Last edited:

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
EDIT: Kurt Cobain wasn't trying to sound like Hendrix, Hendrix wasn't trying to sound like Elvis. To be one of those guys you need to do things other's can't or won't.

Number of factors, part of it is just cultural. Just something about him that seems to reflect the culture of our times. The fact that country music is taking over guitar based music is a massive part of it.

The fact that he's an ironic superstar. He represents a kind of counter culture that can blended seamlessly with very mainstream country music. The fact he can do some sort of rap music without missing a beat. The fact he represents the kind of America that doesn't translate to twitter/social media in the way a Taylor swift will.

He has that magical ability like kurt cobain, to write lyrics and vocal melody's that regular musicians would never get away with. Because they violate common sense rules for what quality music is.

These songs remind me of Everlast

Babe Ruth

Looks wise.. I'm a solid 8.5
Feb 2, 2016

Discovered this guy just a while ago, was pretty shocked, getting a Kurt Cobain/Jimi Hendrix/Jim Morrison kind of vibe from the guy. He comes across as a true icon of the times.

Yeah.. there's a local rock station I listen to, that has been playing Jelly Roll for a couple months now & promoting his tour, etc.
Roll reminds me of '90s John Popper, (before he dropped a lot of weight). But I might just be feeling a physical resemblance, not musical style..

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
A genre sure, but I think it's long past being viable that any one band/singer can be the "future of music". Just too many platforms for people to find their own tastes. If country fans want to think it that's fine, but rather than 'the next' I think a more apt description here would be 'country's Kurt Cobain'.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
i believe there was once some guy who combined rap with country about a couple of decades ago. i'm not a fan of that guy but he did it way better than this jelly roll guy that's being mentioned here. does kid rock ring any bells?

and that jelly roll country tune. aren't there like 12-15 songs that are played on a cmt channel rotation that in some shape, way or form sound identical to that song?

Reactions: tacogeoff

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
i believe there was once some guy who combined rap with country about a couple of decades ago. i'm not a fan of that guy but he did it way better than this jelly roll guy that's being mentioned here. does kid rock ring any bells?

and that jelly roll country tune. aren't there like 12-15 songs that are played on a cmt channel rotation that in some shape, way or form sound identical to that song?
I thought of Kid Rock too but his first couple albums were more metal/rap with a little bit of country. I agree he was better at it though.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I prefer this song from Jelly Roll truthfully. But I really only ever heard of him till pretty recently. (edit - oh just realized he is pretty brand new)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
If you’re talkin’ true outlaw country like Hank Williams, …sure!!! :yo: :)

But if you’re talking your pop-esque, cliched, “muh wife left me, it’s 4am, I’m drunk on Jim Beam, the dog’s dead, and muh truck won’t start!!” CMT bullshit???….

f*** that noise my brotato chip!!
I don't think this is the future of music anymore

:(

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
A genre sure, but I think it's long past being viable that any one band/singer can be the "future of music". Just too many platforms for people to find their own tastes.
Leaving aside anyone's opinion - honest or exaggerated - of the music itself, this is correct.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
He is a great artist have been listening to him off and on for a few years now. I think/feel personally that Ryan Upchurch is the better country/rock/rap artist in that genre.

Last edited:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I don't think this is the future of music anymore

:(

Normally I'd agree, but fortunately his grandson Hank Williams III is Hank Sr.'s spitting image. Both vocally and in terms of appearance. It's nuts.

Here's a few snippets of an accoustic set he did a few years back..

He's also done various underground metal and hardcore punk things over the years. :)

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Seems like a modern Everlast/Bubba Sparx crossover guy, however I don't see him as leading the pack.

The industry has a very clear vision of who they want to push (models who can sing clean pretending to play musicians).

Every once in a while there's someone like The Weeknd who can write as well (and I'm not fan of his lol).

I'd say someone like Nilufer Yanya is a lot closer stylistically to the names you mentioned above, but her songwriting style is so retro-90s that it keep her in that Amoeba/Tiny Desk/Pitchfork level of success.

The 2020s "sound" for better or worse (I say worse) has a lot of autotune and that tripled hi hat thing going on.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad