Speculation: Is Jake Gardiner in Martin Marincin's way?

ForSpareParts*

Only speculation. I am not throwing a trade proposal out there or claiming to know some inside information about the Leafs' future roster changes.

I am really curious about what you think about Gardiner in the 3 spot and Marincin in the 5 spot.

Do you think that Gardiner is a Babcock type player? Do you see Marincin as closer to being a Babcock type player?

I see Marincin as a good #3 and his bottom pairing days are close to being over. I know he is not a big point producer, but he has good speed/size and plays the shut down role really well.

I know Babs likes his Left and Rights playing on their sides. Can you actually see Gardiner moving down as a #5 D? Especially for what they pay him.

What do you think? Do you see Marincin getting ahead of Gardiner.

Please don't compare the two by telling me about Gardiner's points and draft pedigree. G and M are two different players offering two different strengths.

What do you think of Marincin? Do you see him getting into the Leafs' top 4 in the near future?

Perhaps we see this in the near future?

Rielly ______
Marincin Carrick
Valiev Polak

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
:laugh:

Wait do you seriously think Marincin is gonna overtake Garinder?

:biglaugh:

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Only speculation. I am not throwing a trade proposal out there or claiming to know some inside information about the Leafs' future roster changes.

I am really curious about what you think about Gardiner in the 3 spot and Marincin in the 5 spot.

Do you think that Gardiner is a Babcock type player? Do you see Marincin as closer to being a Babcock type player?

I see Marincin as a good #3 and his bottom pairing days are close to being over. I know he is not a big point producer, but he has good speed/size and plays the shut down role really well.

I know Babs likes his Left and Rights playing on their sides. Can you actually see Gardiner moving down as a #5 D? Especially for what they pay him.

What do you think? Do you see Marincin getting ahead of Gardiner.

Please don't compare the two by telling me about Gardiner's points and draft pedigree. G and M are two different players offering two different strengths.

What do you think of Marincin? Do you see him getting into the Leafs' top 4 in the near future?

Perhaps we see this in the near future?

Rielly ______
Marincin Carrick
Valiev Polak

DO I think Gardiner is a Babcock type player? Yes

Do I think Marincin could possibly overtake Gardiner? Extremely low chance of that ever happening.

Is Marincin a good #3 right now? Hell no.

Will Gards be moving down to a #5? Hell no.

This post reminded me of the days where Gardiner had a very dedicated group of haters who criticized his every move.

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
Gardiner is far far more valuable than marincin. The management could trade him for a 5th and i wouldn't think twice about it. I don't think a single team would pay top 4 D money for marincin

ForSpareParts*

Good. So the 30 point smooth skater is taken over a player who plays shut down every time?

I think this is fantasy league logic over putting together a team of different strengths.

edwardslane

Aug 6, 2010
Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner Marincin
Hunwick Polak/C.Carrick
Corrado

That's how I see our D core at the moment.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
No, Jake is halfway down the ice in front of him from a standing start.

The only real challenge in Gardiners game is defensive net presence. Welcome home Roman.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I knew you're just asking for an opinion, but that's ridiculous :laugh:

Gardiner has the same, if not a better impact, defensively than Marincin WHILE being strong at generating offense too and many more things. Gardiner needs to improve his offensive game more and becoming more physical in front of the net. Literally everything else he's a gem at.

To me, Gardiner is our #2. Rielly will be our future average #1D, we just need another another average #1D that's RHD.

If Gardiner was RHD, he'd be a perfect pair with Rielly on the top-pairing.

Rielly - xxx
Gardiner - xxx
xxx - xxx

^ Those are for-certain locks for D in the future. Add in Zaistev, Marincin, Carrick and then the avg #1D I was talking about and we're set.

ForSpareParts*

No, Jake is halfway down the ice in front of him from a standing start.

The only real challenge in Gardiners game is defensive net presence. Welcome home Roman.

What? He's going to play top 4 with beside Gardiner?

He returns to Toronto post-lobotomy?

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Gardiner is far far more valuable than marincin. The management could trade him for a 5th and i wouldn't think twice about it. I don't think a single team would pay top 4 D money for marincin

Marincin's a great asset. He's a very good player and underrated, but Gardiner is much more underrated and valuable. I'd think Marincin would be almost a lock for our #4D if he was RHD. But since he's limited to only the 3rd LHD spot, he'll probably stay there.

ForSpareParts*

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the #2 get the second most minutes and points? I am sure there are acceptions, but how can Gardiner be Rielly's partner when they play on different pairings?

This has to be an issue. I am sure no one can be comfortable with Toronto's D pairings at this point.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I'm going to repeat this: Gardiner isn't an 'offensive-Dman'.

He's a strong two-way guy, whose main strength is transitional play and defensive play. If you've every watched him in his own zone properly, it's quite noticable. Try rewatching a game fully and just watch Gardiner. He makes perfect plays in his own zone, but it goes unnoticed. Even Rielly's noticed it: "[Gardiner is] highly skilled and he's a smart player, and I think that he's able to see openings that a lot of people can't," Rielly said. Here's an article from some time ago on why Gardiner was the team's best defensive defenseman (it's not a great article, but it explains the point).

But yeah, rewatch a game of his and you'll see.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Quick answer....no I don't think so.

I mean as much as Matthews will be in Kadri's way of being the long term #1 center. It's a shame, but the better player should obviously be ahead.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the #2 get the second most minutes and points? I am sure there are acceptions, but how can Gardiner be Rielly's partner when they play on different pairings?

This has to be an issue. I am sure no one can be comfortable with Toronto's D pairings at this point.

He'd be our #2 if he were RHD. But he's not, so we have to go out and actively look out for a RHD that can play beside Rielly and handle the minutes.

Just look at Chicago with Keith-Hjarmlsson. Hjarmlsson was good enough to be the #2 for so long, but he was behind Seabrook for so long.

Let me put it this way: The chances of Gardiner playing beside Rielly on the top-pairing are much greater than the chances of Gardiner playing on the bottom-pairing.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Sigh, my head hurts after this.

In what way is Marincin a #3 dman, he's a #5 AT BEST

Gardiner is arguably better than Rielly right now, just saying.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Seems we're getting some August-quality threads early, at least they keep the board active!

My answer: No, not at all, not sure if Marincin's fans' glasses were broken since Gardiner is much better in both the eye test and advanced stats.

ForSpareParts*

I'm going to repeat this: Gardiner isn't an 'offensive-Dman'.

He's a strong two-way guy, whose main strength is transitional play and defensive play. If you've every watched him in his own zone properly, it's quite noticable. Try rewatching a game fully and just watch Gardiner. He makes perfect plays in his own zone, but it goes unnoticed. Even Rielly's noticed it: "[Gardiner is] highly skilled and he's a smart player, and I think that he's able to see openings that a lot of people can't," Rielly said. Here's an article from some time ago on why Gardiner was the team's best defensive defenseman (it's not a great article, but it explains the point).

But yeah, rewatch a game of his and you'll see.

From dictionary.com:

verb (used without object), adored, adoring.

4.to worship.

________

From the hockey news Gardiner:

Assets: Is a smart player with the puck. Skates well due to an effortless stride. Has offensive ability, likes to join the attack and can quarterback a power play. Owns a projectable 6-2 frame.

Flaws: Makes a lot bad mistakes with the puck, so he must clean things up defensively. Must also become a little more assertive in his decision-making, as well as keep his intensity level on high.

Career Potential: Mobile, offensive defenseman with defensive issues.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
From dictionary.com:

4.to worship.

________

Assets: Is a smart player with the puck. Skates well due to an effortless stride. Has offensive ability, likes to join the attack and can quarterback a power play. Owns a projectable 6-2 frame.

Flaws: Makes a lot bad mistakes with the puck, so he must clean things up defensively. Must also become a little more assertive in his decision-making, as well as keep his intensity level on high.

Thanks for letting everyone know you don't watch the Leafs

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
From dictionary.com:

4.to worship.

________

lol let's use mainstream media:
- Karlsson and Subban are bad defensively
- Weber is a god defensively
- Polak is a defensive defenseman
- Girardi is a shut-down defensive defenseman
Wonder why he doesn't put up points like 'OFD' are supposed to? That's because he's not an offensive defenseman...

Again, I HIGHLY recommend you rewatch some Leafs games in your spare time (skip the non-Gardiner parts).

ForSpareParts*

lol let's use mainstream media:
- Karlsson and Subban are bad defensively
- Weber is a god defensively
- Polak is a defensive defenseman
- Girardi is a shut-down defensive defenseman
Wonder why he doesn't put up points like 'OFD' are supposed to? That's because he's not an offensive defenseman...

Again, I HIGHLY recommend you rewatch some Leafs games in your spare time (skip the non-Gardiner parts).

OK. This isn't an overreaction.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Mindless post and amusing to see the OP scramble rebuttals that make no sense.

Jake is highly underrated as usual, Babcock has stated that he loves him, usage speaks to it as well. The illusion that he dislikes Jake I don't know what to say... no seriously, why would you think that exactly? Elite possession / shot suppression, elite speed, high end shot and decent point totals.

he isnt a big body, but who cares Marancin doesn't even use physicality.

Marancin was a healthy scratch numerous times and really only had a strong 2nd half. Even a full season of that he is still sitting under Gardiner on the depth chart.

News Flash: Gardiner is an amazing Defenseman and not one dimensional in the slightest

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad