Speculation: Is it smart for Florida to hold on to Knight?

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Personally, I don't have much hope for Knight turning into a franchise goaltender after all of these setbacks, but it seems that the Panthers still believe in him. Given Bill Zito's track record in identifying undervalued talent, I'm going to go ahead and give him the benefit of the doubt here.

Reactions: Fig

staveNsteel

Jan 18, 2021
Personally, I don't have much hope for Knight turning into a franchise goaltender after all of these setbacks, but it seems that the Panthers still believe in him. Given Bill Zito's track record in identifying undervalued talent, I'm going to go ahead and give him the benefit of the doubt here.

Knight recently turned 23 and has 57 games of NHL experience to this point. How many recently turned 23 year old goalies get any NHL experience whatsoever?

He is still a baby in terms of goaltending development, and has plenty of time to grow. Yea he had setbacks, but apparently not many understand the crippling effects of OCD and how they can basically dictate your life on a daily basis.

Knight sought out help and decided to make a change for the better of his own mental health and life in general. The fact that he did this at such a young age and cane back to play last season is amazing.

His talent hasn't disappeared. He still has the same upside that he did when he was drafted, and has plenty of time (and from the looks of it support) to become that #1 goalie. Does he get there, who knows as it is with every goalie and prospect in general. However, goaltending timelines differ quite a bit from forwards and defensemen.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Dear Panthers,

If you are truly intending to move Bennett or Knight, please call us.

Thanks,

Flames.

• Haha
Reactions: BabyBennettov

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Might as well bite the bullet for a few seasons and hope he can take over/split duties in the next few years.

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
IMO if he were to be moved it would of happened after the cup win to get more cap space for FA/retain players.

My hope is that he makes the big squad and shows he can handle ~25-35 games to give Bob more rest during the regular season.
Sucks to have that much money wrapped up in goalies, but they did it last year and were fine.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I'm torn here. I love Knight but.. Too much money in 2 goalies.

One has to go

Bobrovsky is so well conditioned that he could easily be good to go till 40-42 years old in the league. He loves Florida and wont want to leave. In two years they sign him to 1 year deal around 2.5M$

or

Bob is gone next off-season and they keep Knight

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Honestly, it doesn't hurt either way. But... if Florida wants to roll with Bob they might as well trade him to a team in need of a starting goaltender and in return they should add a star vet for playoff power.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Probably because they didn't re-sign stolarz but go on

they wouldn't have signed Stolarz to begin with last offseason if they weren't planning on offloading Knight at some point. Fact is nobody wanted to spend assets on a goalie that has little NHL level experience with 3 years left at 4.5 million. At 2 years most teams could probably stomach it.

• Haha
Reactions: zeeto and Laus723

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
they wouldn't have signed Stolarz to begin with last offseason if they weren't planning on offloading Knight at some point. Fact is nobody wanted to spend assets on a goalie that has little NHL level experience with 3 years left at 4.5 million. At 2 years most teams could probably stomach it.
So, why’d Zito sign Lyon the year before?? It’s called depth, not “nobody wanted Knight.” He wasn’t available and never has been. The plan was for him to play in the A and work past his OCD, instead of depending on him on a Cup contending team.

Reactions: zeeto

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
So, why’d Zito sign Lyon the year before?? It’s called depth, not “nobody wanted Knight.” He wasn’t available and never has been. The plan was for him to play in the A and work past his OCD, instead of depending on him on a Cup contending team.

you don't sign "depth" goaltenders while you have a prospect making 4.5 million a season while playing him less than 15 games a season unless said prospect isn't cutting it. I'm not saying Knight hasn't been, but there's a reason why they signed Lyons, Stolarz, and now Dreidger, and that's one of Bobs or Knight is on the way out, and there are 31 other teams that aren't gonna even go near Bob's 10M contact even if he just won a Cup.

• Haha
Reactions: zeeto and Laus723

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
you don't sign "depth" goaltenders while you have a prospect making 4.5 million a season while playing him less than 15 games a season unless said prospect isn't cutting it. I'm not saying Knight hasn't been, but there's a reason why they signed Lyons, Stolarz, and now Dreidger, and that's one of Bobs or Knight is on the way out, and there are 31 other teams that aren't gonna even go near Bob's 10M contact even if he just won a Cup.
Always love when the uneducated come in carrying on as if they are. Go look at Knight’s numbers prior to him taking a leave, when they already had Lyon and right after Spencer signed his 3 year deal. No one was taking Bob then, multiple teams would take him now, you’re out of you mind if you think he wouldn’t get picked up with how he’s played. I already told you why they signed Stolarz, Knight was the insurance/depth last year. There were articles in their plan, quotes from the GM.

How many goalies did Vegas have when they won? Is it not better to have a guy to go to than to scramble trying to find one should the worst happen? Which it did two seasons ago. Knight got help for his OCD, we needed Lyon, then Bob got sick and we rode Lyon into the playoffs. Driedger is this year’s Lyon.

All the above said, anyone could be moved, though with most it’s not likely. Knight is staying put for now. He was never shopped last year.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Florida just signed Chris Dreidger for a reason,

to trade Knight.

Florida and Nashville seem to have arrived at the dock everyone has said they’d eventually get to (best to trade the young goalies as the well paid incumbents will be staying starters well past the date the youngsters should be in a starter role) … after the ship already left port.

There was a frenzy of teams looking to latch on to a goalie this summer and would have been thrilled to trade for Askarov or Knight if they were available. These players’ teams only coming to realization now, in mid July, that they’d benefit from trading is a little late to capitalize on that. New Jersey acquired Markstrom. Ottawa acquired Ullmark. Los Angeles committed cap to Kuemper. The music was playing and seats were unoccupied a month ago - the music is stopped now and there are already asses in every seat.

Anyone remember when Brian Burke realized Bryzgalov had no path forward in his organization so waived him? Or when Cory Schneider was clearly roadblocked by an older incumbent in Vancouver, so they traded him? Or Miikka Kiprusoff in San Jose?

Today’s GMs seem unwilling to do things like that. They’ll let their good youngsters rot on the vine as backups through their prime, sooner than make a move that would allow them to become starters elsewhere.

Can’t wait until the league announces expansion and these teams are forced to move on from their hoarding and limiting their own players’ opportunities, and accept less in return than they could have gotten if they made moves when the endgame should have already been clear.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
They're paying him 4.5M over the next two years along with paying Bobrovsky 10M for two years. Right now, defense looks like it could potentially have some weaknesses unless Nate Schmidt bounces back greatly.

They can probably weather it this year but for next summer, you'd still have two goalies at 15M combined but then would have Ekblad, Bennett, and Verhaeghe to resign. I suppose you can trade Bob somewhere then but he does have a 16-team no-trade. And I suppose if you hold on to Knight this year, you hope he plays well and recoups trade value for next summer. Either way, I just don't think it would be smart to have both of them on the books for 2025-26.

I suppose the plan for right now is to go with both of them for this year and find a way to bank some cap space and trade for a D at the deadline? Forward depth is decently good as is.
Re-sign

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
The problem is there is also the office issues as well. I think a rebuilding team like the Sharks are being very careful who they bring around 18 year olds they expect to be franchise players for them for the next 15 years
Do you think anxiety disorders are contagious?

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002

I still dont get why Zito gave him that crazy deal. Man makes 50 great moves then 1-2 wtf moves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad