Speculation: Is it smart for Florida to hold on to Knight?

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
The problem is there is also the office issues as well. I think a rebuilding team like the Sharks are being very careful who they bring around 18 year olds they expect to be franchise players for them for the next 15 years
At least come back and apologize for not knowing anything about knight and his situation

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Why would you buy him out? He’s still a great goalie prospect. He just turned 23. He’s so young.
Ya that's a terrible idea. He is a leaf fan and a large chunk of them prefer to spend next to nothing on goaltending so it can be spent on studs like OEL, while ironically blaming goaltending every year for bowing out. I kid but it's shocking how to this day goaltending is still the first place many GMs and fans alike still don't make goaltending a bigger priority and when GMs do realize their mistake they end up forced to overpay in UFA.

As a nucks fan it's nice to be a fan of a team with an approach that sees the value of the position. Preds do a great job as well.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
They jumped the gun with his current contract value, but that shows how much they think of him.. He’s still in the plans as their goalie after Bob. They will deal with the cap hit this year. Knight is still waiver exempt and can begin the season starting for Charlotte and come up and play some NHL games.
This is a big season for Knight to show he still will be the next goalie after Bob.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
I think they were really dumb for letting Montour walk. They could have spared to lose a forward much more than a D. Verhaeghe is a really good player but I would have picked either him or Reinhart and kept Montour over the other.

They’re between a rock and a hard place on moving knight. It would be terrible PR to dump him and they also beleive he’s the goalie of the future still.

Reactions: harv33173

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I think they were really dumb for letting Montour walk. They could have spared to lose a forward much more than a D. Verhaeghe is a really good player but I would have picked either him or Reinhart and kept Montour over the other.

They’re between a rock and a hard place on moving knight. It would be terrible PR to dump him and they also beleive he’s the goalie of the future still.
Zito wasn’t “really dumb” for not paying 30 year old Montour 7.1+ for 7 years. Verhaeghe isn’t re-signed yet, neither is Ek or Benny, and I’ll go ahead and trust the GM who just brought us a Cup. Our core 8 understands the team defense and what it takes to be successful.
Forsling-Ek
Mikkola-Kulikov/Schmidt
Kuli/Schmidt/Balinskas/Bjornfort
(For now) The D will be fine and more could come this off-season. As I said, we can improve where needed at the deadline. There’s no shortage of players who want to be here.

There is no rock or hard place when it comes to Knight. He could still be traded, but I don’t believe so. This is likely the last year of Bob. Possibly of Ek as well.

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Florida just won a cup without Knight contributing anything, so it's hard to question any move Florida does.

Either way, it makes the most sense to hold Knight for another year. Hopefully he's ready to takeover the backup spot and then if there's a salary crunch, trade Bob in his final year of his contract since they'd need to retool anyways.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
They're paying him 4.5M over the next two years along with paying Bobrovsky 10M for two years. Right now, defense looks like it could potentially have some weaknesses unless Nate Schmidt bounces back greatly.

They can probably weather it this year but for next summer, you'd still have two goalies at 15M combined but then would have Ekblad, Bennett, and Verhaeghe to resign. I suppose you can trade Bob somewhere then but he does have a 16-team no-trade. And I suppose if you hold on to Knight this year, you hope he plays well and recoups trade value for next summer. Either way, I just don't think it would be smart to have both of them on the books for 2025-26.

I suppose the plan for right now is to go with both of them for this year and find a way to bank some cap space and trade for a D at the deadline? Forward depth is decently good as is.
Their defense is actually on paper awful. I don't know how they intend to repeat without addressing that real quick.

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
There not going to trade the Goalie that just won them a stanley cup I'm sorry and also no one is going to take a 36+ year old goalie at ten million, florida is stuck with that Contract and I don't think trading him at any point is a good idea he's literally money in the play offs

stuck with that contract lol its a great contract. 2 more seasons left for a Vezina finalist, Stanley cup winning goalie.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
stuck with that contract lol its a great contract. 2 more seasons left for a Vezina finalist, Stanley cup winning goalie.
you're leaving out the fact he plays for a very strong team with good team defense, you put him on a team like the Coyotes and his numbers would not be that strong. Bobs numbers were inflated by playing for a good team, just like Ullmark, I'm not saying he's not a good goalie because he is, but the system he plays in help the numbers a lot.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
you're leaving out the fact he plays for a very strong team with good team defense, you put him on a team like the Coyotes and his numbers would not be that strong. Bobs numbers were inflated by playing for a good team, just like Ullmark, I'm not saying he's not a good goalie because he is, but the system he plays in help the numbers a lot.
A good system helps a goalie have better numbers. No f***ing way!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad