Is it possible to play NHL2004 on Windows 10 computer

Northpower98

Jun 12, 2024
I've had a Windows 7 computer for a long time and played NHL2004 on that. However, it's not in good shape anymore.

So I've tried to install NHL 2004 on a Windows 10 computer. The installation works fine but it's impossible to start the game.

I've also tried to install the stuff on the NHL 2004 site but I find the instructions confusing about what is gonna be installed where. Not to mention that I want to use my own modded stuff which I've been using and updating for years and according to the instruction on their site, only their modded stuff works with their inteface and other things which can make the game going.

Afte 5 hours with trying to install their and my stuff and getting the one error message after another, I've given up on trying to use their stuff. Is there no other way to get NHL 2004 to work on a Windows 10 computer. Do I have to buy a Windows 7 computer and how can i find one?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
You can run it on Win 10. I still occasionally go back and play it.
Here is a video of the steps to follow

If you struggle with it too much. Just create a vm using virtual box/HyperV and run windows 7 or XP even through the VM and install it natively on it.
Truthfully it should take maybe 10 minutes to get it up and running on win 10

Northpower98

Jun 12, 2024
You can run it on Win 10. I still occasionally go back and play it.
Here is a video of the steps to follow

If you struggle with it too much. Just create a vm using virtual box/HyperV and run windows 7 or XP even through the VM and install it natively on it.
Truthfully it should take maybe 10 minutes to get it up and running on win 10

Thanks for reply.

Well, I gave up after 4 hours.....

I have had the relaunch game on an older Windows 10 computer but I can't remember how I managed to install it then.

Two days ago, I tried to install it on my current Windows 10 computer, just as a test but it didn't work for me.

The video above is informative but i a little too quick for me.

Not to mention the hopeless Windows 10 with all warnings when I'm trying to install everything on it. It really gives me a headache.

Which is a reason why I prefer Windows 7. Much more "user-friendly".
What I want to do is to install my own addonsinto that game and according to the instructions in the video above and in the text below, that's not a good option.

But the main point is that I want to continue with some special modded things which I've been maintaining since 2006. That's my purpose with wanting to install my own addons.

I've been running an extended WHA league and SHL with teams in classical jerseys with NO advertising on the jerseys. Worth to preserve, isn't it.

As for virtual boxes and such, I have no clue about how it works. But I might give it a try if necessary.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Google for the NHL rebuilt forum. There are likely tutorials there.

If you can't get it installed on Windows 10 and don't want to go the virtual machine route, a dedicated Windows 7 PC or laptop would be like $50 or possibly free since the specs needed to run the game would be minimal. Something like an old MacBook or iMac might be a decent choice since they are usually abundantly available and include a built in monitor.

That shouldn't be necessary, but as a last resort or whatever, dropping $0-$50 on a dedicated machine for it isn't that absurd.

Northpower98

Jun 12, 2024
Google for the NHL rebuilt forum. There are likely tutorials there.

If you can't get it installed on Windows 10 and don't want to go the virtual machine route, a dedicated Windows 7 PC or laptop would be like $50 or possibly free since the specs needed to run the game would be minimal. Something like an old MacBook or iMac might be a decent choice since they are usually abundantly available and include a built in monitor.

That shouldn't be necessary, but as a last resort or whatever, dropping $0-$50 on a dedicated machine for it isn't that absurd.
I have asked about this on the NHL Rebuilt foum. No replies!

Either is the fourm totally dead now or they dislike that I want to use my own modded things instead of theirs and therefore don't reply to my questions.

I have had the game installed on an older computer some years ago but I can't remember how I installed it now. I actually tried a couple of days on my current Windows 10 computer but I gave up after 4 hours.

Having it on a laptop might be a "last solution" because I need a bigger computer because of some more games and programs which don't work so good at a Windows 10 computer. Not tgo mention that laptops are so unreliable. If akey stops working or the screen crashes, then I have to buy a new laptop. OK, I can use it with an extern screen and keyboard but.......

I'm still waiting for the firm who is repairing my computer to tell me what's wrong with it. What I know is that they have started looking at it last Friday so I probably get some answer soon.

I've also discussed the possibility of them creating a new Windows 7 computer for me since the one whch is now on repair is rather old and the parts in it won't last forever.

But that option will cost me more than 50$. About 953$ if I get it right.

No vacation trip this summer and macaroni and baked beans for some months.:oops:

Northpower98

Jun 12, 2024
probably

I'm not at home but did you try comparability mode
I haven't but what I know, it won't work.
I've never heard about anyone who have made NHL 2004 work wit comparability mode due to several factors. I'm not sure about what but there are certain things in Windows 10 which prevents this game from working.

The people at NHL 2004 Rebuilt have obviously made it work but it takes a lot of additional files and a complicated installation to make it work.

Reactions: John Price
Sep 19, 2008
I haven't but what I know, it won't work.
I've never heard about anyone who have made NHL 2004 work wit comparability mode due to several factors. I'm not sure about what but there are certain things in Windows 10 which prevents this game from working.

The people at NHL 2004 Rebuilt have obviously made it work but it takes a lot of additional files and a complicated installation to make it work.
yeah. I remember trying to do that many years ago and it was complicated. best of luck

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I've tried to get it to run on Windows 10, with no luck. I still have the desktop I bought in 2008 (I think). I play it a few times a year.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
Been looking for an excuse to boot up Rebuilt. I'll try on a 10 machine tomorrow and follow back up here. Do you know if you have the same issue with an 11 machine?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Been looking for an excuse to boot up Rebuilt. I'll try on a 10 machine tomorrow and follow back up here. Do you know if you have the same issue with an 11 machine?
If he's having issues with 10, he'll have all the same issues (likely more) with 11.
all 11 is, is a garbage layer of face paint over a 10 frame. Not much changed in terms of compatibility between the 2

Northpower98

Jun 12, 2024
Thanks for reply. Sorry for late reply but I've been busy with a lot of things, this computer problem among them.

As it is, I've been running intop a wall. I have been looking for Windows 7 computers but no one to be found and I still don't know how to solve this problem.

As it is, I'm almost about to abandon NHL 2004 but this great game will leave a big empty void in my life so I'm not about to give up everything yet.

So I would be happy for all solutions and suggestions how to solve this problem.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
Thanks for reply. Sorry for late reply but I've been busy with a lot of things, this computer problem among them.

As it is, I've been running intop a wall. I have been looking for Windows 7 computers but no one to be found and I still don't know how to solve this problem.

As it is, I'm almost about to abandon NHL 2004 but this great game will leave a big empty void in my life so I'm not about to give up everything yet.

So I would be happy for all solutions and suggestions how to solve this problem.
I found your post on the NHL 2004 Rebuilt forum... Unfortunately, I've failed at getting it to work on my Windows 10 machine too, even though I got the base game to work.

Have you tried using a virtual machine of Windows 7 within your Windows 10 computer, so you don't have to buy a new one?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014

What errors are you getting?
if there isn't one displayed check the EventViewer to see if something is being logged.

I'm guessing it is driver signature enforcement blocking the secdrv that the game requires.
You need to use an NHL 04 rebuilt launcher to bypass it. and Launch the game from that Launcher not the NHL 2004 exe.

The Most important steps are
1720046731539.png

1720046780662.png

the rest are optional(ish)
Guide

launcher
1720046888952.png

1720047263119.png

1720047011415.png

Last edited:

Northpower98

Jun 12, 2024
Hello everyone who have tried to help me out with this.

I'm happy to tell you that I've managed to solve the problem in two ways.

First of all, I managed to buy a decent Windows 7 computer to run NHL 2004 on.

Second, I've also managed to make it run on a Windows 10 computer. I just copied the whole game to a Windows 10 computer and added the launcher from the NHL 2004 Rebuilt forum and it worked.
Don't ask me how, it just did!

I'm not sure if it has something to do with the fact that my Windows 10 computer is a bit old but it worked.

So now I have two options if anything goes wrong.

Thanks to all of you for your efforts to help me with this problem!

You have been fantastic!

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
Hello everyone who have tried to help me out with this.

I'm happy to tell you that I've managed to solve the problem in two ways.

First of all, I managed to buy a decent Windows 7 computer to run NHL 2004 on.

Second, I've also managed to make it run on a Windows 10 computer. I just copied the whole game to a Windows 10 computer and added the launcher from the NHL 2004 Rebuilt forum and it worked.
Don't ask me how, it just did!

I'm not sure if it has something to do with the fact that my Windows 10 computer is a bit old but it worked.

So now I have two options if anything goes wrong.

Thanks to all of you for your efforts to help me with this problem!

You have been fantastic!
I might have to ask you to share your files. I and all my homies are getting confounded by script errors on Windows 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad