Is goaltending a real concern for the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
When was the last time a good goalie got traded, and then, that goalie went on to win the cup?

None of the four goalies right now is capable of being a NHL starter for a playoff team.

Though a reasonable number of above average goalies -(ie as good as some recent cup winners) have been traded.

I don't think one necessarily have to draft a goalie - the biggest problem I see is allocating too much capspace to one as the main issue: most recent cup winners had goalies making less than 5 million per.

Last edited:

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
We'll need another one to develop once Bibeau makes the Leafs next season.

Draft or acquire a goalie prospect in a trade at the deadline with all the players we'll be dumping.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Not necessarily, I'm always of the belief that you start with the goaltender on out.

Trying to upgrade the goaltending prematurely will hinder the Leafs' from drafting the core center/defence pieces they will need to contend.

That's not discounting the importance of goaltending, it's just that it needs to be upgraded via free agency or trade at the appropriate time, when we have the skaters to build around already in place.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Something around JVR for John Gibson seems logical. I'd want a solid propsect like Montour and a pretty good pick coming back just in case Gibson flops cause as we all know, goalies are the hardest to predict.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I've been begging for years for the Leafs to draft and groom a goalie.

I don't see any reason to expend assets acquiring a goalie only to subject them to this mess. Let Bernier and Reimer take the brunt of this and get shelled.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I've been begging for years for the Leafs to draft and groom a goalie.

I don't see any reason to expend assets acquiring a goalie only to subject them to this mess. Let Bernier and Reimer take the brunt of this and get shelled.

Develop tenders. Trading for them usually doesn't work out to well.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Vasilevski might be just as good as Bishop and isn't going to want a big contract shortly. Exactly the kind of contract you should be very careful in giving out to goaltenders.

I have no interest in ANOTHER unproven goalie I want the guy Bishop can be the guy AND we can still draft high this year because we can't score

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Vasilevski might be just as good as Bishop and isn't going to want a big contract shortly. Exactly the kind of contract you should be very careful in giving out to goaltenders.

I can see Bishop going to Philadelphia. I feel like they're the only team that will give him the contract he wants.

I have no interest in ANOTHER unproven goalie I want the guy Bishop can be the guy AND we can still draft high this year because we can't score

At what cost though? Do you want to be tied up long term to a goaltender when we arent competitive?

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Unless you've got a guy that scouts have been gushing over as the next big thing, you don't draft a goalie real high in the first round. I think that you shouldn't even draft them unless you see all-world potential. The top college and European free agent goalies get the job done as 1b-2a options and the guys in free agency might be known commodities but there's always the case of a guy like Craig Anderson slipping through.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach

I agree with Nith, I get that Bishop is proven but he might not be needed at this stage of the rebuild. A guy like Vasi has not only shown promise, he did on the biggest stage. I wouldn't say he's as unproven as other backups.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Unless you've got a guy that scouts have been gushing over as the next big thing, you don't draft a goalie real high in the first round. I think that you shouldn't even draft them unless you see all-world potential. The top college and European free agent goalies get the job done as 1b-2a options and the guys in free agency might be known commodities but there's always the case of a guy like Craig Anderson slipping through.

I don't see the harm in drafting a late round guy or even a guy like Godla. You take a flyer on a guy and see if he can develop over the next six years or so. If he does, great. If not, no big deal. It's not like every mid to late round pick hits so you're not really wasting a pick.

However I think our starting goalie will come from a small trade. Someone who will surprise us with a blossoming in Toronto.

Just make sure he's not pint-sized. Thanks.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I can see Bishop going to Philadelphia. I feel like they're the only team that will give him the contract he wants.

At what cost though? Do you want to be tied up long term to a goaltender when we arent competitive?

Look it's like this If I felt we were going to take 5 years to be competitive I would be with you but I don't. First off I don't think they WANT to suck next year with it being our 100th year.

But beyond that we have a Developing star D in Morgan Reilly I believe that kid will be a #1, We are in the running for Mathews if we draft him the #1 centre spot is filled.

He would already have a winger to play with in JVR

Yes I know we have to win the lottery to get Mathews but after tonight we could have better odds than anyone and if it happens and we end up with

Reilly JVR Mathews Gardiner on the roster and Nylander and Marner coming at that point yes you should get a goalie and yes Bishop is a guy we should target, the pieces are coming and having a guy they know can make the big save only helps their development.

I don't know that Gibson can do that, I don't know that Vaselski can do that and to be fair I don't know that they can't.

I KNOW Bishop can

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I don't see the harm in drafting a late round guy or even a guy like Godla. You take a flyer on a guy and see if he can develop over the next six years or so. If he does, great. If not, no big deal. It's not like every mid to late round pick hits so you're not really wasting a pick.

However I think our starting goalie will come from a small trade. Someone who will surprise us with a blossoming in Toronto.

Just make sure he's not pint-sized. Thanks.

Didn't Godla get drafted?

but I get your point. I was chanting all Saturday at the draft to draft a goalie. I love all we did draft but .... we need to be drafting them soon. or acquiring them.

again - I don't think

A: Gibson
B: Vasi

are attainable those are the futures of both Anaheim + Tampa.

we could trade for Samsonov (Wash). and other teams who have a "well" of Goalies, i suppose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad