Is goaltending a real concern for the Leafs

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Wait. We got two ok goalies signed up already. And we got Bibeau and even Sparks with the Marlies. And you can most often find a good goalie in a trade or FA.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Reimer is 2-1-1

We need to draft and can use Bernier as an anchor to cool the team off and get a higher draft pick. The real problem is Toronto's so called number one goalie. He isn't one, he isn't a slow starter and this is a continuation of his horrible play from last year. He was fed the number one and Reimer is now regaining it. If you want to win play Reimer , if you want to lose play Bernier. We have been highly negligent of drafting our goalies and some moron said "We are happy with our goaltending." With so many draft picks, it is time to use some on the most important position in hockey.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Wait another year or two, only because this group is not going to accomplish anything anyway other than securing good draft picks.

If this team was ready to contend, then goaltending would be priority number one.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Nothing is a concern this year. It's a write off Jerry, you just write it off.

Other than Rielly all of our top assets are in the minors.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Wait for Price's deal to end and scoop him up :)...in all seriousness screw it, wait. Our goalies in the minors might turn into something we can work with, maybe draft one in the later rounds of the next couple drafts see if we can find a diamond in the rough. Not high on the list of priorities.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
They need to determine if Reimer is worth re-signing and if not, trade him for whatever they can get, and if Bernier can become the #1 guy (which doesn't look promising right now)

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Goalies can vary so much from year to year. We could acquire some high-end young guy now and then five years from now he might end up no better than Bernier or Reimer.

I wouldn't mind getting a goalie that is young enough that we can mold him in the AHL for the next 2-3 seasons, but I wouldn't give up the farm for anyone.

If necessary, we can go out and find an established guy in a few years time. Preferably a UFA signing, but by that time (I would hope) we'll have a stockpile of young assets, and be in a position where we can afford to trade some of them for a goalie who has already proven he can be a #1.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Proven legitimate #1 goaltenders rarely get traded, it's a fact. The only goaltenders in recent memory who was traded who had proven himself to be legitimate #1 goaltenders was Ryan Miller and Roberto Luongo, and in the case of Miller, his play fell off a cliff shortly thereafter. Sure, you can find guys like Niemi, Halak, or Hiller every offseason if you want to, but they're not an improvement on what we currently have are they? Hell, even when Lou Lamoriello traded for Schneider he had a career high of 33 games played in a season. Easy to say in hindsight it was a great move, but at the time it was a very questionable move and Schneider himself had a lot of questions surrounding him.

Count me in as someone who isn't interested in giving up assets for a low-tier starter like those mentioned above.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Proven legitimate #1 goaltenders rarely get traded, it's a fact. The only goaltenders in recent memory who was traded who had proven himself to be legitimate #1 goaltenders was Ryan Miller and Roberto Luongo, and in the case of Miller, his play fell off a cliff shortly thereafter. Sure, you can find guys like Niemi, Halak, or Hiller every offseason if you want to, but they're not an improvement on what we currently have are they? Hell, even when Lou Lamoriello traded for Schneider he had a career high of 33 games played in a season. Easy to say in hindsight it was a great move, but at the time it was a very questionable move and Schneider himself had a lot of questions surrounding him.

Count me in as someone who isn't interested in giving up assets for a low-tier starter like those mentioned above.

I agree, but rarely isn't never. It's just another option, if we've got no others on the table. Sometimes teams end up with two goalie who could be their starter, and the price in that case isn't going to be too high. If we end up with a huge pile of forward of D prospects, I wouldn't mind moving one if it gets us an emerging #1.

And if we want to be extremely optimistic, maybe we'll be on the winning end of the next Belfour-Hasek scenario. (Extremely optimistic)

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
We all have seen enough of both Reimer and Bernier and I have come to the conclusion that we do need a legit # 1 goalie

What's your take on it

Do we need a starting goalie and why?

I fundamentally disagree that we have seen enough of Reimer and Bernier. It's too early to give up on either goaltender.

We need a starting goaltender, but it's not a pressing concern yet. Wait another year to see if it becomes one.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The team is fine to ride out their current tandem for the next year or two.

Then see what their goalie prospect pool looks like. If no starters emerge from the minors make a trade. Above average goalies/young up and comers are always available on the trade market. The Wild got one for a 3rd - the Leafs grabbed Bernier when his value was at his highest for a 2nd + c prospect.

There are only 30 starter jobs in the league and there are always young up and comers looking for a break.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
I think the Leafs should look into drafting one of 2 goalie prospects this year. Jack Lafontaine, or someone who has been eligible for the last 2 drafts but who was not chosen. He is having a pretty incredible year in the O right now playing for the Oshawa Generals, Jeremy Broduer. He has played 13 games so far and has a record of 8-4-1 with a 2.23 GAA and .915 Save Percentage with 4 SO's. Now I know junior goalie stats really are not what you should consider when looking to drafting a goalie for the NHL because half the time the goalies that turn out are the ones with terrible numbers in junior but the only way we are going to get someone, is if risks are taken.

YOYOTCROSTER*

They need to draft 3 or 4 goalies next 2 seasons with mid round picks and try to develop one into a legit nhl #1 starter. If those drafts don't work out then wait until team rebuild in its 4th year before signing a FA. Playing the 2 backups we have now works as it gets us a better chance at the #1 pick this year which we are desperate for as #1 piece in the rebuild.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The problem with drafting a ton of goalies within a couple years is that there are so many minor league starting jobs - between the Solar Bears and Marlies and goalies seem to take longer to develop.

Completelybroke

Mar 22, 2015
The easiest way is through trading. Free agency will likely kill us cap wise for a sub-par goalie. Drafting is likely the second best method but you don't draft every year, maybe every other year. Where would these goalies go, not many teams - not many goalie slots.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Just what, exactly, are you trying to ask?

Thread title: "Is goaltending a real concern for the Leafs?"
Question in OP: "Do we need a starting goalie and why?"
Poll question: "Should we draft / sign a free agent or make a trade?"

Those are three wildly different questions.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Just what, exactly, are you trying to ask?

Thread title: "Is goaltending a real concern for the Leafs?"
Question in OP: "Do we need a starting goalie and why?"
Poll question: "Should we draft / sign a free agent or make a trade?"

Those are three wildly different questions.

? Do we need to improve our current goaltending now or in the near future. Or should we wait and give it time and see what happens, not being as active as trying to get the right guy in now.

All 3 questions covers that, more or less.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
If we are tanking, then it is not a concern. We got best in the business working for us.

If we are trying to actually compete, then "Houston, we have a problem".

:naughty:

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
Wait. We got two ok goalies signed up already. And we got Bibeau and even Sparks with the Marlies. And you can most often find a good goalie in a trade or FA.

When was the last time a good goalie got traded, and then, that goalie went on to win the cup?

None of the four goalies right now is capable of being a NHL starter for a playoff team.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Goaltending certainly isn't an organizational strength right now...but neither are our forwards or defence.

We have to prioritize things.

Center and defence have to come first.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Any of the first 3 options; perhaps all. I think we should definitely draft a goalie next year with a late pick. If a free agent or trade becomes available, then we should pursue those too. I don't think you have too many good goalies. Just don't overpay for one.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
When was the last time a good goalie got traded, and then, that goalie went on to win the cup?

None of the four goalies right now is capable of being a NHL starter for a playoff team.

Nikolai Khabibulin comes to mind, though it took him a couple years with the Lightning to win the cup.

Goaltending certainly isn't an organizational strength right now...but neither are our forwards or defence.

We have to prioritize things.

Center and defence have to come first.

Not necessarily, I'm always of the belief that you start with the goaltender on out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad