Is goaltending a real concern for the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
We all have seen enough of both Reimer and Bernier and I have come to the conclusion that we do need a legit # 1 goalie

What's your take on it

Do we need a starting goalie and why?

Last edited:

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
Sure. But there's really not a lot we can do to fix it right now.

Everyone really just needs to chill.

We're ****** right now. Across the entire team. It is what it is, and that's the point of a rebuild.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I don't think they'll make any minor moves for a goalie. Lamoriello stuck with a deteriorating Brodeur for years until Schnieder was available.

He'll wait until an elite goalie is available at which point he'll jump on it.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Thing about developing great goalies is they are worth their weight in gold in trades assuming you have a legit number 1 for years in place. Our lack of drafting a high end goalie prospect in the last few years hurts the rebuild.

In 3 or 4 years the leafs may have to look at free agents or trade if they cannot develop internally.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
IMO, Goaltending will be this Teams biggest problem going forward.

Perhaps Tampa will move Bishop to free up coin for Stamkos?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Doubt TB moves him with payroll problems coming up. Sounds like Bishop is on the way out.

Leafs will be able to help TB out next UFA season with their future cap problems, so that won't be a problem long-term (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). ;)

They can then keep Bishop and make Vas available.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Draft now for the future and draft in the future for the future. The system is not flush enough with goalies.

Bernier is signed for a couple now so by the time his contract ends we need a #1 goalie and goalie prospects.

Next draft the leafs will likely draft atleast two in the later rounds. I would think anyway. Drafting is my preference to acquiring goaltending.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
No need to make a move for a goalie yet. Ride Bernier and Reimer for the duration of the tank. Once we're done sucking for draft picks (summer 2017), make the trade for an elite piece. Half the point of such a deep prospect pool is to make trades and fill gaps, goaltending is one of those.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lou Lam believes of building from the goalie out and has a reputation of making sure goaltending is a priority.

He drafted Brodeur and then went out and acquired Schneider when Marty was growing old.

If a goalie becomes available I would not be surprised if Lou is involved in trade talks to acquire him if the Leafs continue to get roller coaster goaltending.

Question: Lou, your success with Devils is well documented; three Stanley Cups during your run since 1987. But, since the salary cap was instituted in 2005 — you had that great Cup run in 2012, but outside that Cup run you’ve only had two playoff series wins with the Devils. There are those who say you didn’t really manage the salary cap era very well. Do you think that’s fair, and how do you think you can bring what you learned in your time in New Jersey to the Leafs?

Answer: First of all, I really don’t pay any attention to what people think or don’t think. I don’t mean that in any criticism or sarcasm because only I know, in the seat that I sit in, what I think the reasons are and I certainly do not look for excuses. We learn in everything we do. If we don’t learn everyday or strive to learn, then we certainly shouldn’t be doing the job that we do. I certainly have more questions than answers on anything I approach. In New Jersey, we did get it back, we did make that run; we lost two quality of players of pretty good stature, and then we made the decision to turn and to start rebuilding – the word I hate. I say restructure, starting from the goaltending out and making the trade for Cory Schneider, and the decision to draft in the last five years defencemen, who I believe you build a team through. I think that the Devils have a really solid foundation

Read more at: https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015...eased-by-any-immediate-success-here-or-there/

Last edited:

Slippery Pete

Oct 21, 2014
I think its too early to throw the towel in on Bernier but if he is still struggling, giving up early goals midway through the season I think goaltending will need to be addressed.

I'm with Lou on the philosophy of building from the net out. I originally thought his trade for Cory Schneider was crazy but now in retrospect the 9th for that quality of goalie was worth it.

Trading a 1st or even a 2nd for a goalie is NOT a fit for us but I could see JVR for a quality young goalie or Gardiner + a 3rd and a prospect down on the depth chart.

In my opinion it has to be trade, free agency could get you results but its a bit of a crap shoot and why wouldn't you want to grab a young goalie that could grow with our core of young players?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
No need to change anything right now. Berns and Reims are putting us right where we need to be. Dont need someone to come in and be a hero.

For next year, try to find a new goalie to push Bernier through Free Agency.

Continue to acquire additional picks, and use 2nd round picks on the best goalie available. We'll get one eventually.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Waaay overblown on a team that has had terrible forward production and awful puck luck so far.

Goalies have given up some softies but have been more or less middling overall. Been signs of getting better lately.

Have to wait at least until the trade deadline before thinking of making changes.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
I said "wait for another year or two"
But I wanted the option for "Re-evaluate at the Trade Deadline".

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
we're tanking. our current goalies are the best tank commanders we could have asked for. keep this duo this year and next. we don't need any upgrades for the foreseeable future.

in babcock's 3rd year, maybe see what we have with sparks, bibeau or a future goalie draft pick. or go with the trade market to get a good goalie.

#tanknation :yo:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Goalies are weird and there isn't much proven strategy for acquiring good ones. They come from everywhere pretty equally, from early and late rounds of the draft, European FA's, minor trades, etc.

Hard to justify throwing big amounts of assets or cap space at one unless it's really time to compete, and you haven't found yours from the usual routes.

You don't wanna end up like Philly was for a decade or two, completely unable to find competent goaltending, but you also don't wanna trade a first, second and a future Vezina winner for Raycroft and Toskala.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
I figure that the Leafs can pick one up in the future through any of the above options. Does not make sense to seek goaltending until the team is ready to start playing to win however as a good goaltender can and will most likely steal points that we currently would do better not getting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad