Is Exercise really necessary when you are on a diet?

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
I started biking again but actually gained weight. I'm shocked.

Plus biking is very popular with pelatons these days but wrecks your tailbone. And yes, I've adjusted the seats ad nauseum and done hours of research on the optimal biking position.

I know results shouldn't be seen immediately (hard when I measure myself almost every 6 hours to track weight progress) but I'm wondering when I'll actually see results...

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I started biking again but actually gained weight. I'm shocked.

Plus biking is very popular with pelatons these days but wrecks your tailbone. And yes, I've adjusted the seats ad nauseum and done hours of research on the optimal biking position.

I know results shouldn't be seen immediately (hard when I measure myself almost every 6 hours to track weight progress) but I'm wondering when I'll actually see results...
I highly recommend against weighing yourself that frequently. There's just way too much variation between hydration, sodium levels, water retention, etc. to get an accurate reading. Once a week at the same time every week is the best way to control for those variables and is much better for tracking and peace of mind

Reactions: DaveG

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You have to at least allow yourself to take a shit. That’s not even guaranteed to happen once a day.

I was doing it everyday. Right now I do it after I go for a run, which I do 3x per week.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008

This makes me feel better as losing 10 to 15 pounds should take 4 months or more with a regular regimen. Also explains why I didn't lose shit even though I walked 5 miles yesterday :laugh:

Will begin working out every day now with a day of rest obv\

(ignore the title, everything he says is just that you can lose weight over time with slow and steady exercise, he recommends walking every day)

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Got diagnosed with celiac disease with a Hiatal hernia in 2018. Got rig of all grains and gluten. since then, my weight lost is 85 pounds from 260. I walk 10 000 to 12 000 steps per day and plank/yoga in the mornings.
I never exercised in my entire adult life... I ate and drank way too much beer.
I'm also 7 month sober.

You get to a certain age and just 'wake' up!

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Its all diet man all diet all diet. You can do nothing and look like a Greek god just based upon diet. Doesn't mean one is in SHAPE however. I am a little Husky and I can out run and jump a LOT of better LOOKING men.

Reactions: John Price

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
I believe it's a mix of both. I had gained quite a bit of weight when I got my third concussion from not moving, depression caused by the concussion and making poor choices. I started doing keto without much exercise besides walking my dog. I lost over 10 pounds in the first month. Half way into the second month of my keto, I was cleared for strict physical training. After a while, I was able to lose the weight that I gained. keto works well fore me because I am the type of person who eat a couple of chips, turns into a few more, then the whole bag. It really restricts me.

I might try the carnivore next month to see how if it bodes well with me doing lifting, MT, and now Jiu Jitsu.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
It's mostly diet I figured out. I was ill after coming back from vacation and went all the way down to 161 (I was 166 before).

Right now I'm at 161 and feeling fine but I am concerned if this is the plateau and if I can go lower

Eating home food instead of processed food is helping, and I haven't really biked at all.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Alot of it is diet and if you cut out the majority of sugar intake you consume you definitely will see the results. Though like everything in life it is about balance, so exercising you need to do as well. Ive lost about 30 pounds the past 2 years and about 20 of it was cause I basically only ate vegetables, fruit, and protein for about 6 months. Consumed as little sugar and carbs as possible. I did this same thing about 4 years ago and lost about 15 pounds in 2 months. Now I just weigh myself every Friday morning. Water weight fluctuates too much.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Alot of it is diet and if you cut out the majority of sugar intake you consume you definitely will see the results. Though like everything in life it is about balance, so exercising you need to do as well. Ive lost about 30 pounds the past 2 years and about 20 of it was cause I basically only ate vegetables, fruit, and protein for about 6 months. Consumed as little sugar and carbs as possible. I did this same thing about 4 years ago and lost about 15 pounds in 2 months. Now I just weigh myself every Friday morning. Water weight fluctuates too much.

How do you feel now that you've cut sugar? Can you generate more power? I find I have more endurance and stamina eating less sugar recently but I generate less power (sprint speed).

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Not gonna lie, my exercise routine has taken a hit this month.
Travelling, work issues, etc.

Now that I got free time on my hands, I'm back at it.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yep. Losing weight is still almost entirely calories in vs calories out. But if you're eating at maintenance but cutting out the crap you're going to see some results as well like that since excess simple carbs will convert into fats (triglycerides).
How do you feel now that you've cut sugar? Can you generate more power? I find I have more endurance and stamina eating less sugar recently but I generate less power (sprint speed).
Yeah I noticed similar with an added crash once I hit about 45 minutes to an hour into my harder workouts. I started taking some quick carbs about 20 minutes before my heavy sets and have seen good results from that as far as power goes without as much of a crash.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Starving yourself is not ideal and won't be sustainable long term. Maybe the weight you're losing isn't even fat but muscle, and improper nutrition certainly won't do any good for your joints either; in fact, it may be one of the cause of the muscle and joint soreness your experiencing.

What you eat is more important than how much you eat. You mention pizza, which is somewhat of a junk food. What exactly is your diet like?

It's probably mostly fluid, most people can lose 7 to 10 lbs pretty easily by just not eating.

What worked/ works for me was no wheat products (cereal, Bread, Hot Dogs, etc.), with that said I do eat bran buds in the morning with my yogurt, the bran helps me feel more full, very little milk products (only yogurt) because what do baby's eat to get fat, milk, lots of water, no refined sugar products and portion control. Staving yourself f's with your glucose levels and you dont want your body spiking and crashing. If you just diet without exercise, your body will become super efficient and will burn calories at a slower rate and when you come off your "fast" you will notice you will gain weight easier. The key, and this sounds common sense, is you want to be constantly in a calorie deficit. Some people say its a fad, some people swore by it, I do subscribe to the ACV cult, personally I find I have less bloating and my glucose does not spike and crash. I eat twice a day, once mid morning around 10am to 11am and once late afternoon around 4pm to 5pm

I dont eat boxed foods and I avoid the middle of the grocery story, I shop mostly along the outer walls. All the processed crap is in the middle of the store, usually your veggies and meats are along the outside walls.

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I can't really sleep if I don't exercise regularly. May just be me though.

Not just you, a lot pf people are like that. Humans were nomads for hundreds of thousands of years, we followed our food, got exercise all day as a result and naturally exhausted our bodies, now that we are more sedentary, our bodies that developed to be exercised over millennia are no longer getting that exercise. I find it's not just good for physical health, it is great for mental health, I have a shitty day and good work out, the shitty day is not so shitty. Exercise helps me think better, gives me focus I wouldn't have other wise. Lets be honest the looks you get from women is a great ego boost too :)

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Gonna bike every day for a month and see what happens. Biggest reason I was avoiding the bike was I was getting this terrible tailbone pain but it's not as bad, I just have to move the seat to the furthest back position

I will say I purchased this gadget which attaches my phone to the handlebars. So I'm biking at 6 AM in the morning surfing instagram reels and getting 30 minutes of biking in. For anyone that bikes, do you lose feeling after 30 minutes or no? I have to bike 15 minutes, break, and then 15 minutes. Just wondering if sitting on a cycle for 30 minutes is "dangerous" or not...

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
I've been doing the carnivore for a month and almost a week. I am doing regular carnivore and not pure carnivore. Pure carnivores are only animal products seasoned with salt. I am doing the regular because I like to use seasoning. With that said, I feel fantastic! I lost 7 pounds in the first month, and I'm assuming I put on muscle because I am hitting PRs every time I hit the gym. Today I PR my deadlift at 165 pounds (I am a woman). I was deadlifting after my bjj class. I never felt better doing lifting, muay thai and bjj. I am not going full with Muay Thai and bjj because I just recovered from my fourth concussion. I am cleared to spar in two weeks from now. I can't wait to test myself.

Last edited:

hotcabbagesoup

Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Gonna bike every day for a month and see what happens. Biggest reason I was avoiding the bike was I was getting this terrible tailbone pain but it's not as bad, I just have to move the seat to the furthest back position

I will say I purchased this gadget which attaches my phone to the handlebars. So I'm biking at 6 AM in the morning surfing instagram reels and getting 30 minutes of biking in. For anyone that bikes, do you lose feeling after 30 minutes or no? I have to bike 15 minutes, break, and then 15 minutes. Just wondering if sitting on a cycle for 30 minutes is "dangerous" or not...

I lose feeling in my tailbone sometimes and also in my groin/crotch. After long duration rides, but it's not a big deal to just stop for a minute, stand up and readjust, rub myself a little bit lol and then start riding again.

hotcabbagesoup

Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I've been doing the carnivore for a month and almost a week. I am doing regular carnivore and not pure carnivore. Pure carnivores are only animal products seasoned with salt. I am doing the regular because I like to use seasoning. With that said, I feel fantastic! I lost 7 pounds in the first month, and I am assuming put on muscle because I am hitting PRs every time I hit the gym. Today I PR my deadlift at 165 pounds (I am woman). I was deadlifting after my bjj class. I never felt better doing lifting, muay thai and bjj. I am not going full with Muay Thai and bjj because I just recovered from my fourth concussion. I am cleared to spar in two weeks from now. I can't wait to test myself.
I've cut out all rice and bread and it feels great. Surprisingly I don't feel hungry even thought I'm eating little carbs. I do drink a lot of gatorade though and that has a lot of pure sugar. And my lifts have gone up like you!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad