Is Connor Mcdavid a "tier above" Sidney Crosby as a player?

Is Connor Mcdavid a "tier above" Sidney Crosby as a player?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
You clearly have not watched Crosby then. McDavid is the flashier player. But if you want it done, Crosby is the only choice.
So we went from “winning and “leading”, to “if you want it done, you pick Crosby.”
Because he's won everything there is to win, multiple times. Art rosses, rockets, harts, Ted lindsays, Olympic golds, conn smythes, Stanley cups. He has the longevity (most points of his era at 1596, 19 consecutive ppg+ seasons) and the peak (highest ppg of his era, 6 times leading the league in ppg). Not to mention he's turned into a very good two way and complete player the second half of his career. Ovechkin is second and the obvious best goal scorer, but he's a very clear second.
you can’t count Art Rosses, they aren’t “major awards” according to @MacMacandBarbie.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
I said this:
“McDavid has more goals in the inals
In a 7 game span than Crosby does in 25 games. But I’m sure that’s due to “lower scoring era” too? :laugh:
And then I said that cherry picking a particular round of the playoffs to demonstrate McDavid being a better goalscorer than Crosby is just that, cherry picking.
You then said….

What an odd statistic. Caps were a powerhouse team and possibly just as tough to dispatch then the wings that year for the Penguins. Let me cherry pick a random stat too. Crosby had almost just as many goals in a 7 game span as McDavid had in his entire 25 game playoff run last year.

And you thought, sure that makes absolute sense and is totally on topic :laugh::laugh:
Like your cherry picked stat was on topic?
Regarding the video….
“Yup, it was a cool goal. Glad I could show you something you have never seen before. Looked like Crosby showing his versatility in the goal scoring department by splitting the D like McDavid does with his speed.”

You are really struggling to stay afloat here…
"Showing you something you have never seen before" isn't the same thing as "Something that has never been done before"

You had never seen it before, remember?

Cool, haven’t seen any other player do that ever.

Was this supposed to be something significant?

Like not even trying to be insulting, please just slow down and read people's posts. You went on for 2 pages about something I never said, which wasn't even an important comment in the first place.

Reactions: PainForShane

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Enjoy the mass hypnosis while it lasts. We’re within about two years before public opinion shifts to McDavid being a near universal choice on these types of lists and of course #5 all-time (and possibly climbing).
Really? Public opinion seems to be that McDavid is nearing the end of his prime, where his production is being matched most years by other players, injuries are beginning to take their toll, and missing 5-10 games a year will likely become the norm for him.

Lets see how he does coming off a season where he finished 3rd in scoring and played an extra two months of hockey at the highest level and not just assume he will rack up another couple Art Ross and Hart trophies because he is your favorite player.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
And then I said that cherry picking a particular round of the playoffs to demonstrate McDavid being a better goalscorer than Crosby is just that, cherry picking.

Like your cherry picked stat was on topic?

"Showing you something you have never seen before" isn't the same thing as "Something that has never been done before"

Like not even trying to be insulting, please just slow down and read people's posts. You went on for 2 pages about something I never said, which wasn't even an important comment in the first place.
That’s not “cherry picking.” You clearly have no idea what that word means or how to use it. Google does wonders…

I never said that, I simply quoted YOUR post. But in your usual way, you have to attempt to twist things around…ironically your own words..

I’ve literally seen a player do that dozens of times :laugh: there’s nothing significant about that play. You were just desperate…again.

“Glad I could show you something you have never seen before.”

so you never said that? Like…ever? Not once.

Really? Public opinion seems to be that McDavid is nearing the end of his prime, where his production is being matched most years by other players, injuries are beginning to take their toll, and missing 5-10 games a year will likely become the norm for him.

Lets see how he does coming off a season where he finished 3rd in scoring and played an extra two months of hockey at the highest level and not just assume he will rack up another couple Art Ross and Hart trophies because he is your favorite player.
Based on what? Who is saying this?

What else does your crystal ball tell you…

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
That’s not “cherry picking.” You clearly have no idea what that word means or how to use it. Google does wonders…
When you pick a stat that is not a traditional stat that is used, and has never been used to demonstrate what you were trying to prove, which was McDavid's goal scoring ability/Crosby's goal scoring ability, it is cherry picking buddy.
I never said that, I simply quoted YOUR post. But in your usual way, you have to attempt to twist things around…ironically your own words..

I’ve literally seen a player do that dozens of times :laugh: there’s nothing significant about that play. You were just desperate…again.
Here are literally 3 separate times where you claimed I said that 'it had never been done before'
Has never been done Before? You sure? :laugh::laugh:
Still moving the goal posts I see…

You posted one video clip and then said “no one has done that before.”

:laugh::laugh:
“Been posting highlights of his and singing his praises at various times throughout this thread”

*Posts one video and claims no one has done before*

So please, spare me.
Regarding the video….
“Yup, it was a cool goal. Glad I could show you something you have never seen before. Looked like Crosby showing his versatility in the goal scoring department by splitting the D like McDavid does with his speed.”

You are really struggling to stay afloat here…

Cool, haven’t seen any other player do that ever.

Was this supposed to be something significant?
Do you see how confused you are? First you claim 3 times I said that 'it had never been done before' when I said I was glad to show you something you hadn't seen before, and then you claim you quoted me correctly this whole time, and told me that I am struggling to 'stay afloat' here. Like seriously, are you well?

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Enjoy the mass hypnosis while it lasts.
Mass hypnosis man give Crosby his due he has earned it.

That being said I could see the argument for McDavid in a couple more years especially with more playoff success.

but let's wait until 2026 to see what happens.

We’re within about two years before public opinion shifts to McDavid being a near universal choice on these types of lists and of course #5 all-time (and possibly climbing).

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
When you pick a stat that is not a traditional stat that is used, and has never been used to demonstrate what you were trying to prove, which was McDavid's goal scoring ability/Crosby's goal scoring ability, it is cherry picking buddy.

Here are literally 3 separate times where you claimed I said that 'it had never been done before'

So please, spare me.
Saying McDavid has more goals in the finals in 7 games than Crosby does in 25 isn’t “cherry picked.” I didn’t choose the most beneficial or best opportunistic stats to use, it’s simple facts. Your statement….

“Crosby had almost just as many goals in a 7 game span as McDavid had in his entire 25 game playoff run last year.

What exactly are you talking about?

You said it hadn’t been seen before….yet I’ve seen it plenty of times. Isn’t that weird?

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
What exactly are you talking about?

You said it hadn’t been seen before….yet I’ve seen it plenty of times. Isn’t that weird?
No I said
Yup, it was a cool goal. Glad I could show you something you have never seen before.
and then you proceeded to misquote me 3 separate times.
Has never been done Before? You sure? :laugh::laugh:
Still moving the goal posts I see…

You posted one video clip and then said “no one has done that before.”

:laugh::laugh:
“Been posting highlights of his and singing his praises at various times throughout this thread”

*Posts one video and claims no one has done before*

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
From the moment he stepped onto the ice, he captured the hearts of fans

That says it all, doesn’t it? You’re being emotional about this.

Public opinion didn’t think he could possibly score 100 points in 2020-2021 or ever touch 150. I did, so I’ll stick with my own opinions on McDavid and what he can or can’t do.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Mass hypnosis man give Crosby his due he has earned it.

That being said I could see the argument for McDavid in a couple more years especially with more playoff success.

but let's wait until 2026 to see what happens.

Crosby is #6 all-time and second on my list for best players since the turn of the century. I’ve given him his due, but don’t mind pointing out what’s real and what’s fantasy.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
No I said

and then you proceeded to misquote me 3 separate times
I, along with everyone in this thread have seen that type of play plenty of times. There was nothing special about it. You posted it for God knows what reason.
I am afraid I can't hold your hand through every conversation. You will have to figure some things out on your own. Cheers.
I think it’s cute when you try to talk down to me, given your history of sounding completely foolish.

Reactions: Video Nasty

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
points arent everything, personal awards isnt everything. Crosby is everything you want in a leader. he's also a proven winner.
McDavid is incredible and prob is a better player skill wise but Crosby just gets the job done, and for that reason I could never draft McDavid for Crosby. or not yet atleast. McDavid has alot of years left but until he wins a cup, I dunno how I can ever place him above Crosby
Crosby played with 3 other hall of famers, 1 guy who is basically the most borderline case ever (Kessel) and another guy who had arguably the greatest start ever at his position (Murray).

McDavid has Drai who is pretty much a HOF lock, but that's it. Gretzky never won alone, Lemieux was on some abysmal teams while putting up Godly stats, Jagr same thing during certain parts of his career. No one or two players can ever do it alone.

Personally I see them both in the same tier (McDavid better offensively and Crosby better defensively/all around), but team awards are just that...team awards.

If McDavid wanted to win so badly, he could go take a league min on any top 5 team in the league and put them other the top, would that really elevate him?

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Wow what a treat this thread was to read, a lot of Crosby haters present and accounted for doing their usual best to undermine what Sid has done in his career, the usual glazing of McDavid fully present and overly accounted for.

It's the kind of thread that makes you wonder why you ever venture outside of your own board.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Wow what a treat this thread was to read, a lot of Crosby haters present and accounted for doing their usual best to undermine what Sid has done in his career, the usual glazing of McDavid fully present and overly accounted for.

It's the kind of thread that makes you wonder why you ever venture outside of your own board.

IMG_1852.gif

Reactions: GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank

So there’s no “McDavid haters” or “Crosby lovers” because basically everything Crosby does is legit and amazing, all while McDavid is pure “glazing.”

Go back to your boards then. You aren’t bringing anything worth reading with that sort of logic

Reactions: I am not exposed

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Many can easily argue you aren't either.
Many can easily argue that I’m a Crosby hater? I’m not…but please, provide me with one time I “hated” on Crosby or said something completely false about him.

It’s convenient for you too, having to prove to anyone that I’m not a Crosby hater, Which you are going to decide regardless of what answer I give you.

Calling someone a “hater” because they disagree with you or you simply can’t form any rebuttal, so they resort to that. All in all, it’s lazy. But if you are cool with being lazy and not having anything of significance to say, by all means. Go crazy

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Many can easily argue that I’m a Crosby hater? I’m not…but please, provide me with one time I “hated” on Crosby or said something completely false about him.

It’s convenient for you too, having to prove to anyone that I’m not a Crosby hater, Which you are going to decide regardless of what answer I give you.

Calling someone a “hater” because they disagree with you or you simply can’t form any rebuttal, so they resort to that. All in all, it’s lazy. But if you are cool with being lazy and not having anything of significance to say, by all means. Go crazy
It took a little comment by me to post your insecurities about this topic. Says more about you than it does about me, mate.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
It took a little comment by me to post your insecurities about this topic. Says more about you than it does about me, mate.
You engaged In the conversation with a ridiculous take and then I replied back…what did you think was going to happen when you post in a thread? :laugh:

Tell me, “mate.” How did I post my insecurities…since it seems so obvious.

Ironic you calling me insecure, Crosby fans have to be some of the most insecure fans I’ve ever seen. Can’t handle/accept change. Can’t handle that there is a new king in town and he is “threatening” crosbys legacy so many of them feel a need to defend his honor at ALL cost…

Apparently what McDavid does affects Crosbys legacy….doesnt seems to be cemented with the amount of people desperately looking for a way to make him appear superior.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Crosby played with 3 other hall of famers, 1 guy who is basically the most borderline case ever (Kessel) and another guy who had arguably the greatest start ever at his position (Murray).

McDavid has Drai who is pretty much a HOF lock, but that's it. Gretzky never won alone, Lemieux was on some abysmal teams while putting up Godly stats, Jagr same thing during certain parts of his career. No one or two players can ever do it alone.

Personally I see them both in the same tier (McDavid better offensively and Crosby better defensively/all around), but team awards are just that...team awards.

If McDavid wanted to win so badly, he could go take a league min on any top 5 team in the league and put them other the top, would that really elevate him?
Crosby has played with alot of weak wingers throughout his career, and I dont really care, at the end of the day if he wants to pass Crosby on a consensus list, he will likely need to win atleast once in his life.

and no it's not just team awards. if you never lead your team to a championship atleast once in your career, you dont deserve to be among the all time greats.

hes not going to do that, no way he would just sign league min somewhere. maybe in the final years of his career and even then I doubt it

McDavid is the better player offensively but Crosby is the better all around player, the more complete player and a true leader, for that I just can't place McDavid above him. Im sure he will get a cup but till that day I just cant place him above Crosby

You engaged In the conversation with a ridiculous take and then I replied back…what did you think was going to happen when you post in a thread? :laugh:

Tell me, “mate.” How did I post my insecurities…since it seems so obvious.

Ironic you calling me insecure, Crosby fans have to be some of the most insecure fans I’ve ever seen. Can’t handle/accept change. Can’t handle that there is a new king in town and he is “threatening” crosbys legacy so many of them feel a need to defend his honor at ALL cost…

Apparently what McDavid does affects Crosbys legacy….doesnt seems to be cemented with the amount of people desperately looking for a way to make him appear superior.
is what way is McDavid threatening Crosby's legacy?

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Crosby has played with alot of weak wingers throughout his career, and I dont really care, at the end of the day if he wants to pass Crosby on a consensus list, he will likely need to win atleast once in his life.

and no it's not just team awards. if you never lead your team to a championship atleast once in your career, you dont deserve to be among the all time greats.

hes not going to do that, no way he would just sign league min somewhere. maybe in the final years of his career and even then I doubt it

McDavid is the better player offensively but Crosby is the better all around player, the more complete player and a true leader, for that I just can't place McDavid above him. Im sure he will get a cup but till that day I just cant place him above Crosby

is what way is McDavid threatening Crosby's legacy?
You tell me….there seems to be a lot of insecure Crosby fans for someone who is supposed to be a “top 5” player all time. Apparently he can’t be top 5 without being superior to McDavid about things like…winning, leading, you know…stuff you can’t measure or use. Because we all know it’s not all about points and McDavid apparently is nothing but points….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad