Is Cale Makar a generational talent?

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Generational is a messy term. With Makar, I'd ask whether guys like Karlssonn, Lidstrom, Bourque, Pronger, or Potvin were generational. If not, it's probably a no.

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Lidstrom wasn’t a generational talent either.
Agree to disagree. He was the far above his peers for a solid 10+ season span. That to me is generational.

Cale is the defensive version of McDavid. Sure Kuch and MacKinnon got McDavid here and there, but McDavid is the common denominator always at the top. Same with Makar on D. Assuming health and the desire to play until he is 40, he has a realistic shot at Bourques point record.

No big deal, only potentially the highest scoring D ever, but not generational.

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Agree to disagree. He was the far above his peers for a solid 10+ season span. That to me is generational.

Cale is the defensive version of McDavid. Sure Kuch and MacKinnon got McDavid here and there, but McDavid is the common denominator always at the top. Same with Makar on D. Assuming health and the desire to play until he is 40, he has a realistic shot at Bourques point record.

It's just an odd term. On D, going back to the 70s, you have Orr for the first half, then to Robinson and Potvin, then guys like Coffey and Bourque, with MacInnis and others challenging, then Lidstrom, Pronger, and whoever I'm missing, then Karlssonn, Keith, Hedman, Doughty, whoever else. The point is, with generational, Orr was the only one I've mentioned who was clearly above his peers. And they are all HOF worthy great players.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

I wouldn't be shocked if Makar is widely considered a generational defenseman before too long. I personally think he's already better than Lidstrom was and started out even stronger.

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Bourque is better than Makar will be but that is hardly an insult. Makar is a lethal, elite, and likely generational defenseman when his career ends. Easy #1 this modern high scoring era.
My point in bringing Bourque up wasn't an insult. Bourque is a top 5 damn ever, and I don't think that's arguable. Like Lidstrom and Potvin, it's just hard to call d-men generational.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad