Is Cale Makar a generational talent?

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
the-simpsons-no.gif

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Wouldn't "Generational Talent" be the most talented player seen over the course of say, 20-30 years? So if he isn't more talented than McDavid then it becomes a pretty quick no, correct?

For "Generational D-man" the question gets a little more interesting. I think Makar has a higher talent level than any D we've seen in 20+ years, and he might very well prove to be a better player than any D in that span. Time will tell.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Generational? No, because that’s McDavid.

Generational defenceman? Possibly. He and a few others will probably be in the mix for that distinction.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Makar is a dynamic defensemen.

But let's wait until he wins a Norris or two before he is considered at this level?

To me, his trajectory is like Erik Karlsson right now. I considered Karlsson the best in the world for many years and I think Karlsson is a Hall of Famer.

But Makar isn't Bobby Orr. He isn't even Raymond Bourque. Neither was Karlsson.

As much as this may go against popular opinion, Makar IS NOT the perfect defenseman.

He is small and can get overpowered against bigger and stronger forwards.

I have seen it happen in the playoffs whenever Makar faces teams with bigger forwards and stronger forechecks.

He can obviously improve since he is so young.

But his lack of size and physical strength is something he will have to find a way to compensate for if he ever should be considered amongst the "generational class".

Makar is starting to become over-rated by fans and the media, and that is unfair for him considering how young he is. People are rating him as the best thing since Orr, and he isn't that. Not yet, at least.

Let things play out before anointing him with such hype and status.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah, I think it's safe to say that he is.

Dahlin was supposed to be generational but certainly has been nowhere near such thus far. Makar's been far more impressive than said generational talent. So it's only logical that he's generational himself.

Reactions: Twinsmagic

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He's only finished two seasons but 94pts in 101 GP is beyond impressive. Also not to mention 31 pts in 35 playoff games. Not many defenseman put up those numbers this young, not even a rookie Erik Karlsson. So that makes me ask if you consider him to be a generational talent?

No.
Can't have 10 generational talents in one generation.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

Dahlin was supposed to be generational but certainly has been nowhere near such thus far. Makar's been far more impressive than said generational talent. So it's only logical that he's generational himself.

Makar will start next season at 23 years old, Dahlin at 21. Pump the brakes

Saying it's safe that he's generational is a big reach, it's debatable at most.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

Jason Arnott is a generational talent

Daigle was supposed to be generational but certainly has been nowhere near such thus far. Arnott's been far more impressive than said generational talent. So it's only logical that he's generational himself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad