Is Reimer the real deal?
Is Bernier the real deal?
Is Andersen the real deal?
Is Campbell the real deal?
Is Samsonov the real deal?
Is Woll the real deal?
Is Stolarz the real deal?

A tale as old as time.

Andersen was like a top 10 goalie for three years with the Leafs and has been solid for most of his career. I think your expectations are weird if you’re trying to paint him as a disappointment. Even a guy like Campbell was well worth what they paid him while in Toronto, playing the best of his bizarre career. There aren’t many Hellebuycks and Shesterkins out there, that group probably gave the Leafs roughly league average goaltending over the past decade which is better than well, half the league.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Andersen was like a top 10 goalie for three years with the Leafs and has been solid for most of his career. I think your expectations are weird if you’re trying to paint him as a disappointment. Even a guy like Campbell was well worth what they paid him while in Toronto, playing the best of his bizarre career. There aren’t many Hellebuycks and Shesterkins out there, that group probably gave the Leafs roughly league average goaltending over the past decade which is better than well, half the league.

If “real deal” means providing average goaltending for a period of 2-3 years then there is a long list of goalies that are the “real deal”. I can see why a Leafs fan would consider that the real deal based on what they have had to experience and playoff success over many years.

BullyHockey

Dec 26, 2023
Good for him. But too early. Personally though, I think Woll is a legit stud of a goalie, was really impressed by him in that boston series; guy looks smooth but doesn't mean crap if you can't stay healthy.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He's had a huge work load this year. No telling if he isn't over-worked for the playoffs. They really should have rested him a bit from time to time.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Stolie has always been a pretty darn good goalie. Had a tough freshman season D+1 after being a fairly early pick but then got back on track in the OHL and was looking like a top goalie prospect early in his pro career. He unfortunately had his career stalled by injury issues for a couple seasons, right when he was starting to breakthrough to the NHL level.

To his credit, he had a big resurgence in the Ducks org and proved himself as a bonafide NHL goalie behind some bad lineups. He has the size teams covet but he also battles hard. The only question here now will be how his health and performance will hold up if you ask him to take on a bigger workload. He hasn't played more than 30 games in five years and his only 40+ game season as a pro was 9 years ago before the two seasons of injury issues. Maybe he holds up fine if given 35+ games plus playoffs or perhaps you start to see him wear down, it's an unknown.

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
Let's pump the brakes. He's looked great thus far and is playing positionally sound. I think the additions of Tanev and OEL along with Berube's style of coaching has also made things easier on our goalies. We have bigger match ups coming up so we'll see if all that holds.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He's had a huge work load this year. No telling if he isn't over-worked for the playoffs. They really should have rested him a bit from time to time.
I mean we have a pretty light week with one game during the week between two Saturday games. He got our one back to back off. I’m sure he will get some games off next week and especially once Woll gets back.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
He was solid in Philly at a time where nobody ever was, i always thought it was weird we shipped him out. .928 and .902 in 19 starts over two seasons.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Pretty sure I hear that about a Leaf goalie every year until they suck again

Woll was the real deal last season

Woll is still the real deal... Look at his playoff numbers. He just has been injured.

This thread is also started by a non Leafs fan and is far too early and we all know that. It's been a few games, and honestly he has been great but the Leafs system is doing a lot of work.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Is Reimer the real deal?
Is Bernier the real deal?
Is Andersen the real deal?
Is Campbell the real deal?
Is Samsonov the real deal?
Is Woll the real deal?
Is Stolarz the real deal?

A tale as old as time.
Don't forget Garret Sparks who was supposed to be the goalie of the future after his dominant AHL season in 2018

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Stolarz looks very good so far and I think was a good, low risk- high potential addition.

Stolarz just like the rest of the Leafs org will be judged on how the team plays when the playoffs roll around.

RogerRogerr

May 11, 2011
Toronto
Stolarz reminded me of Craig Anderson on the Panthers. I never got the impression that an increase in workload would get him to collapse.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
He lead all goalies last year in goals saved above expected per game. He’s huge and calm so there’s lots to like. Who knows how he’ll handle a much bigger workload than ever tho
I think he started 8 games against PO teams last year. He is 30 years old and has never established himself as a starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad