Salary Cap: Irrespective of playoff result, would you trade Nylander in the offseason?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Trade Nylander this offseason

• Yes

Votes: 134 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 107 39.2%
  • Wait one more season

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Re-sign as soon as possible at a cap number around $8M-8.5M

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Despite my last post here, and the vote of "yes they should consider trading Nylander", it's still a move that makes you really apprehensive.

There are 2 players that I would much prefer to deal away at this point - Kerfoot and Engvall.
For large swaths of the game, those 2 have absolutely no clue what they're doing and contribute next to nothing.

Engval im not agree, hes a good pk killer and hes dont cost that much, you need that kind of depht player.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Lol it’s just a vote, it means nothing really. Dubas isn’t looking at this thread and gathering data
Where did I say the latter? I'm just shocked at how ignorant people are here that they want to move Nylander after a poor regular season stretch where both him and JT have still been producing at near PPG.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Engval im not agree, hes a good pk killer and hes dont cost that much, you need that kind of depht player.
Criticizing Engvall at this point is just odd. He's grown tremendously as a player and brings a ton of value on defense and the PK. Still only 25 years old too

Reactions: Knies iT and thusk

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
Part of me feels like his play is what it is due to an underlying feeling that he should be playing with matthews instead of tavares, based mostly on how it hasn't worked with tavares.

If reality is anywhere close to that, I could see him wanting to get an opportunity elsewhere. This feeling probably has nothing to do with reality, but still.

I do think the time is coming to move on to support balancing our cap a bit more, especially with the hope that some of the guys in our system can step into a role.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
I trade Nylander in the off season for:
1. a starting goalie, something likeGibson and Comtois as a replacement for Willie, and whatever else to even out the cap, value, or;
2. a legit top 4 RD, or;
3. a couple of cheaper wingers with more jam, grit, intangibles, whatever - i would have been up for JT Miller straight up. Crouse and someone is an option.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I've been a big critic of willy since February but if hes traded it absolutely has to be the right deal and fit. Otherwise you move kerfoot, Mrazek, and Muzzin and Look to add a LW who can grind forecheck and score to help that second line.

Reactions: Le Cobra

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
its pretty much a guarentee that both nylander and kerfoot are gone this offseason ... the off season result doesnt really change much,

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
Where did I say the latter? I'm just shocked at how ignorant people are here that they want to move Nylander after a poor regular season stretch where both him and JT have still been producing at near PPG.
It's not about production for Nylander detractors. It's about intangibles. Never seen anyone ever make a compelling argument that Nylander is a plus in that regard because nobody can. He's a minus in that area. Who rallies around the fighting spirit of 88? Nobody.

So, you get a debate between people who solely love production vs. those who think the little things matter. It all matters to me, but I understand why those who only think about production think the way they do. Kind of like a corporation that only thinks about profit at the expense of everything else by justifying it as the only thing that matters is the bottom line.

Reactions: francis246

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
Not sure I understand why? Nylander is elite, he has game breaking skill and can win you games straight up.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Like i said bunting with need to resign in a year and the way he playung right now, he will cost something between 5 to 7 M.

So want or no, leafs will need to choose, it will be impossible to keep everybody. So its maybe time to trade nylandet and get something really good for him maybe something like a top prospect like Brandt Clarke?

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
i would have been up for JT Miller straight up
That's the name I keep tossing in my head as well. You're going to lose that deal when Miller becomes UFA at the end of 2023, but if we could get him under contract he's the exact type of player we need. My worry is the length and AAV of a JT Miller extension. He's playing at a ridiculous level right now, so extending him this summer is potentially buying high. But playing L2 with JT and PP1 could elevate that price even higher.

He's 29 years old now and he'll be 30 by the time his contract extension would start. It would really only makes sense to extend at that 7-8Mill mark and even that makes me scared especially when you're consider the term JT Miller has earned on his next deal.

I love JT miller as a player, but I don't know if I'd want to be the team to extend him for 5-7 years. If Miller had 2 more seasons after this one on his current deal I'd be all over it. But getting potentially only 1 season + 1 playoff run for Willy would be a deal we would regret IMO.

It's an all-in move TBH. But it definitely should be explored to some degree. If the cap savings in 2022-23 from a straight swap allows us to extend Mickeyev and Kase, then I can see this being a deal that makes our 2022-23 roster better. The loss of Willy could also be mitigated with an emergence of one or multiple players like Abruzzese, Knies, Robertson, Holmberg or Steeves. JT Miller's deal expiring also aligns with the time we'd need to extend Bunting. So there is some cap benefit in all of this. Again, it's kind of an all in move for 2022-23, but also a vote of confidence to our current prospects to backfill that void. It just sucks that Amirov is unwell, because logically he'd be the successor at the RW slot. But they've trialed Robertson on the RW side on the Marlies and it's looked OK so you never know.

lots to consider for sure.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Like i said bunting with need to resign in a year and the way he playung right now, he will cost something between 5 to 7 M.

So want or no, leafs will need to choose, it will be impossible to keep everybody. So its maybe time to trade nylandet and get something really good for him maybe something like a top prospect like Brandt Clarke?

Bunting isn’t going to get 7 million. He’ll probably get the Barclay Goodrow type deal. 4.5 to 5.5. He’s going to get a good chunk of Kerfoot and Mikheyev’s money

Reactions: TMLAM34

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Bunting isn’t going to get 7 million. He’ll probably get the Barclay Goodrow type deal. 4.5 to 5.5. He’s going to get a good chunk of Kerfoot and Mikheyev’s money
Tom wilson sign at 5.167 M after a 35 points in 78 games career high or gallagher at 6.5M in a similar type of role. Bunting is in road of a 60+ season. If he continu to play that way and sign less than 5.5 M, it will be a favor he will make to leafs

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Willy has just lost his confidence, it's something that most players will go through. It's tough to watch but he will snap out of it Nylander just needs to head to the crease and score like he used to.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Tom wilson sign at 5.167 M after a 35 points in 78 games career high or gallagher at 6.5M in a similar type of role. Bunting is in road of a 60+ season. If he continu to play that way and sign less than 5.5 M, it will be a favor he will make to leafs

Bunting is no Tom Wilson or Gallagher for that matter. With the Leafs in cap hell, he isn't getting close to $5m. They will let him walk like they did Hyman and it will be the right move.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I can see Bunting getting a similar deal to Bennett and if the Leafs were smart, they should get that deal done this off-season instead of giving Bunting more time playing with Matthews and Marner.

I can see Nylander being moved in the off-season, especially if we’re eliminated in the first round again.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Bunting is no Tom Wilson or Gallagher for that matter. With the Leafs in cap hell, he isn't getting close to $5m. They will let him walk like they did Hyman and it will be the right move.
Tell me one thing those player give to his team and bunting dont? with wilson penalty kill more hit/suspension... and thats it.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Tell me one thing those player give to his team and bunting dont? with wilson penalty kill more hit/suspension... and thats it.

Tom Wilson is a game changer. When was the last time you saw Bunting drop his gloves?? Nobody is afraid of Bunting. Not the case when Wilson is on the ice. You better know when Wilson is on the ice and have eyes in the back of your head or you might be in for a whole world of hurt.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I can see Bunting getting a similar deal to Bennett and if the Leafs were smart, they should get that deal done this off-season instead of giving Bunting more time playing with Matthews and Marner.

I can see Nylander being moved in the off-season, especially if we’re eliminated in the first round again.

Agreed I think the Bunting Extension will happen this summer. He wants to be here

Reactions: TMLAM34

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Tom Wilson is a game changer. When was the last time you saw Bunting drop his gloves?? Nobody is afraid of Bunting. Not the case when Wilson is on the ice. You better know when Wilson is on the ice and have eyes in the back of your head or you might be in for a whole world of hurt.

Okay wilson hes a game changer because hes drop glove?!?! So simmonds shoul be a game changer...

Bunting is amount the best player in the NHL to draw penalty because nobody working harder than him and hes always enter into opponent's skin. He win majority on his 1v1 battle and he never take a shift off. And stil get 60+ season. His contribution to the team is much higher like a gallagher or wilson and contrairly to a nylander

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Wilson is another type of player. Don't think it is a good comparable. Also, I think he signed the deal after they won the Cup.
Galla is a good comparable but he signed with the Habs when the Habs had no one but Price. Kind of how Leafs had to sign Dion to his deal back in the days.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Okay wilson hes a game changer because hes drop glove?!?! So simmonds shoul be a game changer...

Bunting is amount the best player in the NHL to draw penalty because nobody working harder than him and hes always enter into opponent's skin. He win majority on his 1v1 battle and he never take a shift off. And stil get 60+ season. His contribution to the team is much higher like a gallagher or wilson and contrairly to a nylander

Simmonds can barely play 4th line minutes. Wilson plays top line minutes. Not comparable.

Not taking anything away from Bunting. He is a steal @ 900K. At $5+m I pass.

Reactions: Ciao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad