GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I feel like Aqueduct's the only track that ever has fog issues

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
That is a sobering dose of news.

The Facebook message read, in part, “We have lost Shared Belief. He seemed to display signs of colic this morning, so our vets rushed to treat him.

“They immediately sent him to UC-Davis, so he could get the best medical attention available, as soon as possible. Emergency colic surgery was performed, but doctors were unable to save him.

“We are still awaiting results of an autopsy. We are absolutely devastated. Shared Belief was a once-in-a-lifetime horse.”

Bred by Marty and Pam Wygod, Shared Belief won 10 of 12 starts and earned $2,932,200. A gelding, Shared Belief started once for the Wygods, winning a maiden race at Golden Gate Fields in October 2013 when trained by Jedd Josephson. Following that race, he was purchased privately by a group led by Rome and transferred to Hollendorfer.

http://www.drf.com/news/attack-colic-claims-shared-belief

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
For such massive animals, horses sure are fragile and sensitive creatures. I have never had horses of my own but my family has always been involved in the Equestrian world; it's a damn shame how many of them are felled by Colic.

Can't imagine how his connections are feeling. Very sad news.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
For such massive animals, horses sure are fragile and sensitive creatures. I have never had horses of my own but my family has always been involved in the Equestrian world; it's a damn shame how many of them are felled by Colic.

Can't imagine how his connections are feeling. Very sad news.

It's the leading cause of premature death for horses. He had a pretty bad injury even though he was recovering fine from it. Broken bones in legs and hips for horses are always pretty ominous, and while Colic isn't that, health issues in horses do get intertwined somehow at times. They carry all that weight on brittle legs. I know all the signs pointed up for him, and it is obviously very sad, "very unfortunate," was my first thought when I saw the news but I can only say that it was only somewhat surprising, and yet it's a condition that seemingly comes up out of nowhere. It's really tough to nurse and care for a horse, those vets really earn their money.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Bob Baffert has indicated the following options for Dortmund who could very well develop into the best 4-year old horse for 2016.

• Malibu at Santa Anita, December 26, 7 furlongs (Update: Not a possibility)
  • San Pasqual at Santa Anita, January 9, 1 1/16 miles
  • San Antonio at Santa Anita, February 6, 1 1/8 miles

Runhappy could be in the December 26 race and then go on a break to start 2016.
California Chrome is expected to be in the January 9 race and then perhaps onto Dubai for the World Cup in March.

Info for each race: http://www.santaanita.com/stakes-schedule/

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
SUNDAY: Bombs away at Philly.

Race 2 had a $11.60 winner but the tri paid $15,176.80 and the super approached $100,000. If your numbers are 9-7-3-8, celebrate!

Race 4 had a $71.30 winner with a tri that paid over $4500+

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
If you want to follow the development of a horse flying under the radar, look at Synchrony. The male DNA is the phenomenal Tapit-Pulpit-A.P. Indy-Unbridled lineage but his dam is Brownie Points who was successful with firsts and seconds in 21 of 27 races.

Mohaymen has a similar male pedigree and Junior Alvarado currently riding.

While Mohaymen remains my top choice to date, someone is on the same wavelength: :popcorn:

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/unlo.../12/03/10-up-and-coming-derby-contenders.aspx

9. Synchrony (Tapit—Brownie Points, by Forest Wildcat) Despite the fact that he was one of 23 individual horses listed in the first Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool (he closed at about 97-1), Synchrony has been surprisingly flying under the radar. After finishing second in his debut, Synchrony broke his maiden and then tackled allowance company in a 7 ½-furlong race at Churchill Downs (VIDEO), which he won by a head while running the final three-sixteenths of a mile in an impressive :18.35 seconds. Trained by Donnie K. Von Hemel, I would expect to Synchrony head south for the winter, with Oaklawn’s Derby prep races looming as a possible target. -

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
GULFSTREAM, Wednesday:
A 150-1 shot came in second at Gulfstream paying $110 for place money. That is as high as I remember in recent years. It completed part of a $978 exacta and $10,000+ tri (based on $2).

The prior race, a 40-1 shot was victorious. Imagine the daily double if that combo came out on top. The actual double paid over $500.

---------------

Separately, Tonalist was retired today. He won the Belmont Stakes in 2014, when California Chrome failed in his attempt for the Triple Crown. Tonalist had a fine career going 7-4-2 in 16 starts with many graded races run and won including two Jockey Club Gold Cup(s). Another in the Tapit-Pulpit-A.P. Indy-Unbridled lineage.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Remington Springboard Mile Stakes
  • What: Remington Springboard Mile Stakes
  • Where: Remington Park, Oklahoma City, OK
  • Who: Open to 2 Year Olds
  • When: Sunday, December 13, 2015, Race 10
  • Post Time: 6:48 PM ET
  • Surface: Dirt
  • Distance: 1 Mile
  • Purse: $250,000

Battle Tap could pose a challenge but Esposito, an Ontario-bred sired by Ghostzapper, is the morning line favorite.

http://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Esposito_5_2_Favorite_in_Springboard_Mile_123

The field for the Springboard Mile, by post-position and program number, with trainer, jockey and morning-line odds:

1. Suddenbreakingnews: Donnie Von Hemel, Luis Quinonez, 3-1

2. Esposito: Tom Proctor, Drayden Van Duke, 5-2

3. Battle Tap: Steve Asmussen, Rafael Santana, 7-2

4. Giant Trick: Jack Van Berg, Danny Sorenson, 30-1

5. Blue Wings: Patrick Huffman, Julian Leparoux, 12-1

6. Uncle Brennie: Brad Cox, Chris Landeros, 10-1

7. Discreetness: William Fires, Jon Court, 8-1

8. Blanket Of Ice: Chris Hartman, Ramon Vazquez, 30-1

9. Better Than Magic: Bret Calhoun, Cliff Berry, 15-1

10. Cutacorner: Jack Van Berg, Quincy Hamilton, 20-1

11. Evan Deadly Sins: Boyd Caster, Lindey Wade, 50-1

12. Cash Bonus: Bret Calhoun, C.J. McMahon, 12-1

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Gulfstream has a nice card today (Saturday) but don't overlook New York for prices. With some of the top jocks in south Florida, New York has had some opportunities that otherwise aren't always available. Meaning, expect the unexpected at New York.

Yesterday, there was a $1200 daily double after the seventh race with Robbie Davis's son Dylan winning on top a horse that paid $101.50.

The 5-6-3 Pick 3 after the eighth race paid almost $13,000+.
The 5-6-3-1 Pick 4 after the ninth race paid over $64,000.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
^ And right on cue, bombs away all day. This was a most impressive day for prices across the circuits.

Start with a repeat performance by Dylan Davis at Aqueduct who paid a mild $20.80 in race 2.

But the real shows were at Gulfstream, Philly and Laurel.

GULFSTREAM (Florida) :
  • Race 2 had a $131.60 winner, an exacta that paid $1,600+ and a $1 tri that paid $13,000+
  • Race 6 had a $166 winner, an exacta that paid over a grand, and a $1 tri that paid $3600+

PARX (Pennsylvania):
  • Race 2: $47.60
  • Race 3: $119.20
  • Race 4: $33.20
  • Race 5: $27.80. The Pick 3 was about $2500 for $1.00.

LAUREL (Maryland):
  • Race 4: $6400+ for a tri, superfecta paid $122,400+ for $1. (insert superlative!)
  • Race 5: $49.60 winner, double paid almost $1300
  • Race 6: $51.80 winner, double paid over $1300
  • Race 7: $64.40
  • Race 9: $45.80

FAIR GROUNDS (Louisiana):
  • In Race 12, a stakes race, there was a $36 winner in a nice effort by Robby Albarado.

LOS ALAMITOS (California):
  • And Mike Smith won the only Grade I race of the day. It was a race limited to 2-year-old fillies.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
REMINGTON PARK (Oklahoma):

Fantastic finish at Remington (Oklahoma) tonight. Finished 7-1-2. The 1 split the pair and almost completed an improbable journey. Esposito finished third in a nearly three-across-the-wire finish.

Discreetness prevailed in a pulsating, three-horse finish in the $250,000 Springboard Mile for 2-year-olds Dec. 13, bringing down the curtain on Remington Park's Thoroughbred season. Watch Video

Xpress Thoroughbreds' son of Discreet Cat was up in the final stride to win by nose from local favorite and second wagering choice Suddenbreakingnews, with 7-5 favorite Esposito hanging on for third after grabbing the lead in upper stretch.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/96550/discreetness-battles-to-springboard-mile-win

-----------------------------

Edgar Prado:

Hall-of-Fame jockey Edgar Prado suffered six broken ribs when being unseated today at Gulfstream. The filly took a right turn coming out the gate, possibly inexperienced.

Gary Stevens has been named as Prado's replacement when Runhappy next runs in the Santa Anita opener (Dec. 26).

In light of the controversy surrounding the change of trainers for Runhappy and now the jockey replacement, I wonder the last time we saw such a dual change in between a Grade I win and a future Grade I.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Toews On Ice is on a 3-race win streak (five starts) with victories at each of the big three southern Cal race tracks.

Mor Spirit is Baffert's other entry and Gary Stevens will return to the helm. Martin Garcia, Baffert's #2 rider, rode the colt in his most recent outing. Victor Espinoza, Baffert's usual top guy, is riding Hollywood Don for Peter Miller.

Baffert could easily finish 1-2 in this race but the question with Toews On Ice is whether he likes the distance. His dam was known as a sprinter and that is always pause for concern in distance trips. This race is an important challenge going forward. Mor Spirit is the favorite.

Urlacher has four seconds in five starts and has yet to break his maiden. He was DQ'd in an earlier start. Eoin Harty, his trainer, has called him a "decent" colt amid the obvious question marks. But he also stated prior to the draw that he wanted an inside post due to the quirky nature of the Los Alamitos track. He got it.

The odds have yet to be issued.

Los Alamitos Futurity
  • Where: Los Alamitos Race Course (Cypress, California)
  • Date: Saturday, December 19, 2015
  • Time: 4:00 PM Pacific Time (Race 8)
  • What: A Kentucky Derby Prep Race (schedule in first post of this thread)
  • Distance: 1 1/16 mile
  • Surface: Dirt
  • Purse: $350,000
  • Grade: I (One)
  • Who: Two-year-olds

Post | Name | Jockey | Weight | Trainer | Odds
1 |Urlacher (KY) |James Graham |121| Eoin G. Harty |10-1
2 |Frank Conversation (KY)| Mario Gutierrez| 121| Doug F. O'Neill |8-1
3 |Hollywood Don (KY) |Victor Espinoza |121| Peter Miller |6-1
4 |Toews On Ice (KY) |Martin Garcia |121| Bob Baffert | 9-5
5 |Mor Spirit (PA) |Gary L. Stevens| 121 |Bob Baffert | 8-5
6 |Sorryaboutnothing (FL)| Rafael Bejarano| 121 |Doug F. O'Neill| 12-1
7 |I'malreadythere (FL) |Tyler Baze |121| Jerry Hollendorfer | 8-1

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
A rarity Wednesday in that three jocks had four-win-days at different tracks.

Gallardo at Tampa Bay
Gaffalione at Gulfstream
Ortiz at Aqueduct

Luis Saez did it Friday at Gulfstream.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
How some things are never gimmes or locks. Castellano/Pletcher -- an obviously solid combo -- had a 1/9 in a 6-horse field at Gulfstream Friday. The entry finished second with the winner paying $59.40 for a deuce.

If the philosophy of betting against an overwhelming favorite was applied, that would be about a $49 profit based on $2 wagers. The exacta was $134.

Pletcher is currently 11-for-24 at the meet, an astounding 46% for wins. He is also in the money 75% to date.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Toews On Ice is on a 3-race win streak (five starts) with victories at each of the big three southern Cal race tracks.

Mor Spirit is Baffert's other entry and Gary Stevens will return to the helm. Martin Garcia, Baffert's #2 rider, rode the colt in his most recent outing. Victor Espinoza, Baffert's usual top guy, is riding Hollywood Don for Peter Miller.

Baffert could easily finish 1-2 in this race but the question with Toews On Ice is whether he likes the distance. His dam was known as a sprinter and that is always pause for concern in distance trips. This race is an important challenge going forward. Mor Spirit is the favorite.

Urlacher has four seconds in five starts and has yet to break his maiden. He was DQ'd in an earlier start. Eoin Harty, his trainer, has called him a "decent" colt amid the obvious question marks. But he also stated prior to the draw that he wanted an inside post due to the quirky nature of the Los Alamitos track. He got it.

And just like that, Toews On Ice had a brief lead but was caught by Baffert's other horse Mor Spirit. A chalky exacta (about $9) but a price with #7 finished third for a decent tri.

Blistering pace. Baffert has two potential 3-year-old runners from this race.

Here is the updated 2016 Kentucky Derby leaderboard: http://www.paulickreport.com/wp-con...oad-to-the-Kentucky-Derby-Point-Standings.pdf

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
  • The opening day of the Santa Anita winter meet will provide plenty of storylines. The biggest for this date is the ascension of Laura Wohlers as Runhappy's trainer in replacement of Maria Borell who has since found employment at Gulfstream Park. Runhappy is giving away five pounds to the rest of the field.
  • 8-1 for El Kabeir seems to be a generous offering.
  • The Ortiz brothers are both on the opening day card as are fellow east coast jocks Joel Rosario and Jose Lezcano.

Malibu S. (gr. I)

Post | Name | Jockey | Weight | Trainer | Odds
1| Pain and Misery (KY)| Tyler Baze |118 |Henry Dominguez|20-1
2| Marking (KY) |Jose Lezcano| 118 |Kiaran P. McLaughlin |5-2
3| Watershed (KY)| Joel Rosario| 118 |Kiaran P. McLaughlin| 4-1
4| Runhappy (KY)| Gary L. Stevens| 123| Laura Wohlers |6-5
5| El Kabeir (FL) |Mike E. Smith |118 |John P. Terranova, II |8-1
6| Bad Read Sanchez (KY) |Mario Gutierrez |118| Doug F. O'Neill| 30-1
7| Lord Nelson (KY) |Rafael Bejarano |118| Bob Baffert| 5-1

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
American Pharoah's historic Triple Crown victory was named Thursday as the sports story of the year by the Associated Press.

According to the AP, 82 U.S. editors and news directors submitted ballots in the voting for the honor. Voters were instructed to rank their top five sports stories of the year. The first Triple Crown sweep in 37 years received the most points and 43 first-place votes.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/t...triple-crown-win-this-years-top-sports-story/

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Large payouts at various tracks today but nothing close to Race 4 at Santa Anita:

13-14-4-10 paid:
  • $1524.40 for an exacta,
  • $21,702.50 for a trifecta and
  • $244,743.90 for a $1 superfecta. Indications are someone hit that. Nearly a quarter of a million dollars.
  • A $.10 superfecta would pay about $25,000.

-----------
In the feature race:

Runhappy is a special sprinter. He looked phenomenal. The jockey/trainer changes did not seem to matter. It appears the Met Mile is next on his schedule. He has won six straight races, including three Grade Is, and is 7-for-8 lifetime.

He also bears a remarkable resemblance to his daddy, Kentucky Derby winner Super Saver.

Controversy aside, Runhappy is still a monster.

James McIngvale's 3-year-old sprinting superstar became a three-time grade I winner Dec. 26 at Santa Anita Park, where he set the pace and pulled away from the field to win the $300,000 Malibu Stakes (gr. I) by 3 1/2 lengths in front of a crowd of 44,873 at the Arcadia, Calif. racetrack. Watch Replay

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/96752/runhappy-untouchable-in-malibu-victory

And an exceptional day for the two vet superstars in Mike Smith and Gary Stevens but Santiago Gonzalez, admittedly, I do not know much about him. won the first three races on the card.

And one final note: The place was packed with 44,000+ in attendance and a handle of $17.4 million the track's highest in an opener since 2005.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Absolutely incomprehensible. The #3 wins and the time of day was 3:33:33 pm ET. Yup, incomprehensible.

Video of the race: http://www.hollywoodmahoningvalley.com/racing/live-racing

CXV23nqWwAAk6ls.jpg

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/96784/records-fall-at-mahoning-valley-race-course

On a day in which Hollywood Gaming at Mahoning Valley Race Course posted record single-program pari-mutuel handle of $1,182,223, a record payoff of $415.20 for a $2 wager provided a trainer with her first-ever career victory.

The record win price came in the seventh race when 206-1 longshot R B Wild Promise rallied outside of horses entering the stretch and prevailed late in a calvary charge to win the $5,000 conditional claiming event. It was the first career victory for owner/trainer Gwendolyn Crosser.

Crosser, a 23-year-old native of Gainesville, Fla., who recently passed her trainer's test after working as an assistant to trainer John Baird, said: "I am on cloud nine. I can't believe he won. It was so exciting, I was yelling, 'C'mon boy, get up,' and he did."

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Jerome S. (gr. III)​

• PP| Horse (State Bred) | Jockey |Wgt | Trainer | M/L (odds have yet to be made)
  • 1 Silent Assassin (KY) Angel S. Arroyo 116 Nicholas P. Zito 50-1
  • 2 In Equality (KY) Junior Alvarado 116 Leah Gyarmati 20-1
  • 3 Donegal Moon (KY) Manuel Franco 116 Todd A. Pletcher 15-1
  • 4 Flexibility (NY) Irad Ortiz, Jr. 116 Chad C. Brown 1-1
  • 5 Vorticity (KY) Jose L. Ortiz 120 James L. Lawrence, II 4-1
  • 6 Bird of Trey (PA) Kendrick Carmouche 118 John C. Servis 10-1
  • 7 Condo King (KY) Ruben Silvera 116 Rudy R. Rodriguez 5-1
  • 8 King Kranz (KY) Cornelio H. Velasquez 116 John P. Terranova, II 6-1
  • 9 Let Me Go First (KY) Roberto J. Rosado 116 Blane Servis 30-1

• With the turn of the calendar, all these Derby prep horses become three-year-olds despite the month in which they were born.
  • The 5 and 6 carry extra weight.
  • The 4 will likely go off the favorite especially in part because of the connections. EDIT: The odds have now been posted and the 4 is the morning line favorite at even money.
  • For value players, the 2 and 6 could provide options and the 6 could pull the upset if things go his way.
  • John Velazquez is Australia-bound for what is billed as that country's largest race day ever. Maybe he'll pay a visit to Animal Kingdom.
  • Javier Castellano is in south Florida. Without Johnny V. or Castellano, Pletcher turns to Manny Franco.

---------------------------------

2016 Kentucky Derby Future Odds
  • Mohaymen 6-1
  • Mor Spirit 8-1
  • Nyquist 15-1
  • Exaggerator 18-1
  • Airoforce 20-1
  • Brodys Cause 20-1
  • Swipe 20-1
  • Greenpointcrusader 25-1
  • Gun Runner 25-1
  • Gift Box 30-1