International tournament goalie performances that rival 1998 Hasek?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Probably not, that was a suffocating team.
And they did not face the 1981 soviet team, outside Kane for example who would compete on that squad to be a top 5 american forward ?

Parise could have but got derailled.

alfredsson-Sedins by 2014 that was not great fire power, incredible defense, Lundqvist, etc... good team but nothing special to score goals.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
That one is hard to place

2 goals in 3 games during qualification.

playoff round
2-1
1-0
3-0

0 goal against in 8 Olympics period straits.

Was there ever a better defensive team relative to the competition faced ?

Canada defense was really, really good in 2014. No question.

But - he still faced a lot of shots. 31 in semis, 24 in finals....it's not like some super lopsided game where it was only ~10-15 shots.

I haven't watched the games since 2014 - but I do recall that a lot of the shots were quite difficult ones, with some breakaways, or 2 on 1s...so, he did really have some great games, not just easy ones.

I have no problem putting Hasek 1998 above it. Team strength alone makes the case for Hasek. But I'm not sure about any other better peformances than Price for #2.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
There also a bit of Price making it look natural and easy that could have been going on, the way he moved and controlled rebounds during that peak, he was so much in control all tourney long that maybe he participated into that view of the best defensive performance of all time.

They always had the lead and always looked like they would win but that was because they never gave a bad goal... and we are talking 2-1, 1-0 type of wins, so it could not feel that way with shaky goaltending.

To give an example I had to check, but in my memory Crosby made it a 2-0 game that felt very hard to turn around much sooner than in reality, I thought it was in the first period, it was past the 30:00 minute mark. Early in the morning time-zone difference game that bound to create strange memory of it, but there something probably true about more in control than the score would indicate, which could be all created ad-hoc, bad bounce and puck goes in, same play, same players, etc... and I remember it all differently.

But a bit like 2016 world cup and Canada giving away only 8 goals in 6 games (Price 7 in 5, .957%), it is not just that Canada was particularly good defensively, but that the top competition felt subpar versus the 80s-90s, they did not face a team Canada or Soviets level offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad