Interesting Franchise Facts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
The Ottawa Senators (modern) have never won a Game Seven. Neither has the WPG/PHO/UTH franchise. The Blue Jackets have never played a Game Seven.

The Anaheim Ducks have never had a player drafted first overall play for the franchise. The only other teams that haven't had a player picked first overall play for them are Nashville and Seattle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The Toronto Maple Leafs have never won more than eight games in a single playoffs.
?

They very famously lost in 7 against the Kings (11 wins)... in the third round of the 1993 playoff, they reached the conference finals quite often, they won 9 the year after, Sundin leafs did it as well I am pretty sure (at least twice after a quick check).

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
?

They very famously lost in 7 against the Kings (11 wins)... in the third round of the 1993 playoff, they reached the conference finals quite often, they won 9 the year after, Sundin leafs did it as well I am pretty sure (at least twice after a quick check).

Ugh... yeah. Let me edit that. I meant to say they've never won the Cup in a playoffs where they had to win more than eight games.

Also, I did a bit of research and I think Hartford/Carolina has never had a first overall pick play for the franchise, either.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
The historical Brynäs-Luleå playoff match-up in the SHL/SEL has an interesting statline.

They faced each other five times throughout the years, each time reaching a deciding game 3 or 5 (they never faced off in a game 7, which has been a thing in Swedish playoffs since 2000). Brynäs won every matchup, with a +5 goal differential (ie. winning each series by a single goal on average!).

Is there any NHL equivalent of two teams always seeming to go the distance in their matchups, let alone with one of them always getting the longer straw?

Edit: I checked this one up a few years ago, having been slighted by an acquaintance who’s a Brynäs fan. He basically made the remark that (my) Luleå “does nothing for him”, which I thought showed his historical illiteracy and perhaps also the discrepancy between the self image of Brynäs fans following the “greatest team in history” while rarely being a playoff fixture in recent memory. To the latter point, Brynäs has rarely made deep playoff runs since the 1990s. They won the championship in 1999 and in 2012, and made the finals again in 2017 where they lost in game 7 OT. Other than these three occasions, they never made it out of the quarterfinals in the new millennium, if they even made the playoffs. Truly an all or nothing team over the last quarter century.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Auston Matthews is quickly moving up the Maple Leafs' franchise goals-scored list:

1. Mats Sundin -- 420
2. Darryl Sittler -- 389
3. Auston Matthews -- 368
4. Dave Keon -- 365
5. Ron Ellis -- 332

Barring injury, he'll almost certainly be 2nd in Leafs' history during the current / new season. He needs only 52 goals to catch Mats Sundin (which he could theoretically do this season, too). Crazy to think he'll almost certainly be #1 in Leafs' history during 2025.

And Mitch Marner (if not traded) will probably be 4th in Leafs' history of assists after the current / new season. He'll be behind only Salming, Sundin, and Sittler (the 'Triple-S' club).

McDavid and Draisaitl are doing the same in Edmonton, but with some stiffer competition at the top. At the start of 2024-25:

Goals:

1. Wayne Gretzky -- 583
2. Jari Kurri -- 474
3. Glenn Anderson -- 417
4. Mark Messier -- 392
5. Leon Draisaitl -- 347
6. Connor McDavid -- 335

Draisaitl would need to score 46 goals this season to pass Messier, but it's at least possible. Given his new contract, you have to assume he'll easily surpass Mess and Anderson (as will McDavid), and probably Kurri soon enough, as well. (Gretzky certainly possible, but that's a ways away.)

Assists:

1. Wayne Gretzky -- 1086
2. Connor McDavid -- 647
3. Mark Messier -- 642

The good news is, McDavid blew by Messier late last season... The bad news is, Gretzky is still 439 assists in front...

1. Wayne Gretzky -- 1669
2. Jari Kurri -- 1043
3. Mark Messier -- 1034
4. Connor McDavid -- 982
5. Glenn Anderson -- 906
6. Leon Draisaitl -- 850

Barring injury, Draisaitl will pass Anderson for 5th on the Oilers' all-time scoring list this season. Where it gets interesting is that a healthy McDavid will pass Messier and Kurri, to be in 2nd place, during next season. (You would assume he'd have around 1100+ points after next season.) He'll still be 550+ points behind Wayne, so catching him would depend on how many more seasons McDavid has in Edmonton.

In Tampa, the franchise assist list looks like this:

1. Martin St. Louis -- 588
2. Steven Stamkos -- 582
3. Victor Hedman -- 572
4. Nikita Kucherov -- 553

With Stamkos now out of the way, Hedman and Kucherov will quickly pass him this season, and what's more they will be 1 and 2 in Lightning history, probably in the first half of this season.

And one more high-scoring player these days, Nathan MacKinnon, is quickly moving up the Nordiques / Avalanche lists.

Assists:

1. Joe Sakic -- 1016
2. Peter Šťastný -- 668
3. Nathan MacKinnon -- 564
4. Peter Forsberg -- 538

1. Joe Sakic -- 1641
2. Peter Šťastný -- 1048
3. Michel Goulet -- 946
4. Nathan MacKinnon -- 899

MacKinnon should pass Goulet this season and into 3rd on the franchise list. He should be able to catch Šťastný in 2025-26.... Not sure about Sakic, though!

Finally, an update on how Crosby and Malkin are doing with Penguins' all-time numbers:

Goals:

1. Mario Lemieux -- 690
2. Sidney Crosby -- 592
3. Evgeni Malkin -- 498
4. Jaromír Jágr -- 439

Assists:

1. Mario Lemieux -- 1033
2. Sidney Crosby -- 1004
3. Evgeni Malkin -- 798
4. Jaromír Jágr -- 640

1. Mario Lemieux -- 1723
2. Sidney Crosby -- 1596
3. Evgeni Malkin -- 1296
4. Jaromír Jágr -- 1079

Sid will pass Mario for franchise assists, probably in the first half of this season. Unless he gets 128 points next season, he won't pass Mario in points yet, but he will do so in 2025-26, assuming he's still playing.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Speaking of franchises, how much caffeine is really in Coca Cola? Because a colleague of mine recently teased me for being addicted to it. I've always hated coffee though, and I figured there's much more caffeine in coffee.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Speaking of franchises, how much caffeine is really in Coca Cola? Because a colleague of mine recently teased me for being addicted to it. I've always hated coffee though, and I figured there's much more caffeine in coffee.

the coca in coca cola used to stand for cocaine. Other stay it stood for coca leaves as hot chocolate but there was never any chocolate in coca cola

crazy historical facts you may or may not know. At the same time Coca cola DID have cocaine in it, morphine and heroin were over the counter drugs to help aide in sleep

Last edited:

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
33 mg in a 330ml can, Diet is higher at 42 mg

An american cup of coffee (237g) is 95 mg

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I dint know but when I was really little, I remember a product called jolt cola, which I believe was taken off the shelves due to its high caffeine content.

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
I dint know but when I was really little, I remember a product called jolt cola, which I believe was taken off the shelves due to its high caffeine content.
"All the sugar and double the caffeine!"
It came out as a reaction to things like Diet Pepsi Free, which had no (or low) sugar and lower caffeine.

Jolt was great when I was 20... I remember a smoke shop on Granville St. in Vancouver clearing out their back inventory for 50 cents a can when the novelty faded. Nearly killed me.

• Haha
Reactions: JianYang

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
"All the sugar and double the caffeine!"
It came out as a reaction to things like Diet Pepsi Free, which had no (or low) sugar and lower caffeine.

Jolt was great when I was 20... I remember a smoke shop on Granville St. in Vancouver clearing out their back inventory for 50 cents a can when the novelty faded. Nearly killed me.
I remember drinking it as a little kid from time to time and never really noticed exactly when it was gone.

I'm sure my parents didn't know anything about the caffeine content... I think whatever cola was on sale had a greater chance of coming home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad