Inside the Habs draft - premieres August 22, 7:00 p.m. on YouTube

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I'm of the opinion that BPA doesn't really exist unless you pick 1st and in some drafts, a few more picks. Everyone else is pretty much in a cluster and so teams will mostly pick by need.

Teams draft by need 99% of the time. This is why Hawks took Levshunov 2nd. He's a great pick, but Chicago needed a D.

Last year, because most wanted Michkov and others wanted Leonard, they focused on Hughes saying if Reinbacher wasn't an RD, he'd probably not be their pick. So everyone held it against them.

BPA is a fact. It's a no-one-questions-you are-the-best. But when you get to 5th, your BPA isn't my BPA, so who really is the BPA? Which is why to me, BPA is just something people say that doesn't really hold much weight.
It depends of what your definition of BPA is.

Like you said, everybody will have a different opinion and nobody really knows who will end up the true BPA at any point in the draft.
So i don't think that's what scouts mean when they talk about BPA.
They just refer to BPA as the best player according to their specific list or opinion.

If the Habs thought Reinbacher was BPA at 5 last year, then they picked BPA.
Even if somebody thinks that Michkov was BPA at 5, it doesn't change the fact that the Habs still picked BPA according to them.
They didn't draft for need in that specific example.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

Attachments

• tenor (1).gif
    tenor (1).gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I agree with that. But I would have expected a little bit more discussion on this.. not a complete consensus. Surely some scouts would not have seen him and would have focused on WHL or NCAA. Usually in those meetings, everybody pushes their own pony.

Oh, and I like how they justify taking Koivu at 3rd: he eats well and he sleeps well.. now that is some serious scouting!!

I think they would absolutely take an extra day to do this.. this is not about the number of hits on youtube.. its about creating a hype for a loosing team that has struggled to fill the Bell Centre and has dwindling views on cable networks.

They need to renew the quebecor deal of $110M per season... you don't think taking a day to shoot some content is worth a bit of money?
LOL.................you think that the video shows all discussions?? LOL.....

I agree with that. But I would have expected a little bit more discussion on this.. not a complete consensus. Surely some scouts would not have seen him and would have focused on WHL or NCAA. Usually in those meetings, everybody pushes their own pony.

Oh, and I like how they justify taking Koivu at 3rd: he eats well and he sleeps well.. now that is some serious scouting!!

I think they would absolutely take an extra day to do this.. this is not about the number of hits on youtube.. its about creating a hype for a loosing team that has struggled to fill the Bell Centre and has dwindling views on cable networks.

They need to renew the quebecor deal of $110M per season... you don't think taking a day to shoot some content is worth a bit of money?
LOL.................you think that the video shows all discussions?? LOL.....

Reactions: Redux91

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Finally got around to watching this. I am very excited about Demi. The impression based on Kent starting something like "it's all going according to plan" is that Demi was at worst their number 2 pkayer behind Mack.

The Hage stuff is interesting as well. It looked like they had a deal in place for 21, but were waiting to see if their guy "dropped". I think they probably had him in a 15-25 kind of there, and had him #1 in that tier.

Two things I'd like to see, but we likely never will.

1) when discussing Demidov for some reason...the natural followup to everyone telling everything they like about him would always be....now tell me the negatives....they'll never give that to us...but i want it.

2) would love to actually see that boars they have and the tiers, and then listen in on their talks about other players...specifically this draft around Iginla and Sennecke. I think they were in play as well for us, and I'd love to know the real comparison.

Overall, this is a solid hype video.

Also, is the Finnish scout named Laine, related to Patrik? first I've seen that scout.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
5th time watching/listening.

I get the question, but just feel bad for Hage each time just thinking how often he got asked about his dad.

Really love the Demidov response of "yeah" to being asked "if we pass on you, are we crazy ?"

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006

I get the question, but just feel bad for Hage each time just thinking how often he got asked about his dad.

Really love the Demidov response of "yeah" to being asked "if we pass on you, are we crazy ?"

Demidov barely spoke any words, and in a very broken English, but he was a quote machine.

His "He lose" one is, in my opinion, the best part of all three videos. What a great time to be a Habs fan.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018

I think it was inappropriate that question about Hage's dad was made public, there is no reason to wallow in his private issues, that's tabloid journalism.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
On people thinking the video was faked. There's easily hours of footage of them discussing other top players in a similar matter. One on one with guys like Iginla and Lindstrom. It seems like a wow they got the guys they wanted because they edited out their talking of players they didn't get. It's just editing. I'm sure there's some prospects they didn't draft they were ranting and raving about.

A big reason you have to edit? Remember the 2005 draft where Columbus basically threw a party because Montreal took Carey Price instead of Gilbert Brule? That's why you edit out names of players you don't take and you don't put in your thoughts of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad