Inside the Habs draft - premieres August 22, 7:00 p.m. on YouTube

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Not sure, they traded up for #21. Don't think they wanted to trade down after trading up. They talk about it earlier in the video with Bobrov.

Go to 14:41, it's either Hage or they make a move with the pick.

Yeah I know if Hage was gone at 21 they probably move the pick according to the video but we know the Ducks very likely also talked to the Habs about pick 21 since they contacted all the teams picking between 19-23 according to Madden Jr.

It also may have been with the Jets like you said since apparently the Jets thought they had a deal in place for McGroarty at the draft but it fell through so maybe it was with the Habs for 21 and fell through because Hage was still available.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
The most interesting thing in the video was that Hage was actually the guy they were targeting when they traded up to 21st.

Also that unprotected 1st next year from Chicago (I am assuming it's Chicago) is crazy. There is a very good chance they finish bottom 3. Definitely something to make you think twice.
Problem is, if a team doesn't have is first pick for the following year, they probably try extra hard to compete and buy immediate help. Trading a 5th overall for what ends up, let's say, 9th overall and a 2nd is such a bad trade. There are just too many bad scenarios in there.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Demidov seems like he has a lot of confidence.

I'll also add that I like how they target specific players that they're willing to move up for. NY did this with Braden Schneider.

No surprise they went up for Hage. A few of us mentioned it on draft day.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The most interesting thing in the video was that Hage was actually the guy they were targeting when they traded up to 21st.

Also that unprotected 1st next year from Chicago (I am assuming it's Chicago) is crazy. There is a very good chance they finish bottom 3. Definitely something to make you think twice.
With Bedard a year older and the likelihood that they’d use their ample cap space that summer, I think it’s an easy decision.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
The psychologist is so cringe every year.
Glad you said it. Every clip of him I just roll my eyes... but this guy gets hired by a ton of different organizations and different sports as far as I can read online. Maybe he's just being cheesy because the people he's interviewing are 17-years old, I don't know.

I once met a sports psychologist on a pretty long hike, we hiked together for a full day and I got to pick his brain. He was a sports psychologist for EPL teams. I felt like that guy game off way more serious and professional than the Habs guy.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Great show every pick is a great story line Demidov, Hage/Sawyer, Koivu. I don't think it was made up with clever editing, trading up was key.

Lapointe reaction to the offer for 5th was funny.

Fin scout is a Laine is he related to Patrik?

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
What I find refreshing is how this management isn't afraid to make moves when they believe in something. They pretty much said they traded up the day before the draft for a 20% chance at Hage.

It tells us that 1) They value Hage really highly 2) They have a good reading at how the draft will play out 3) They're comfortable in spending assets (Kent getting us all those assets is paying off)

Reactions: PhysicX and dralaf

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Problem is, if a team doesn't have is first pick for the following year, they probably try extra hard to compete and buy immediate help. Trading a 5th overall for what ends up, let's say, 9th overall and a 2nd is such a bad trade. There are just too many bad scenarios in there.

With Bedard a year older and the likelihood that they’d use their ample cap space that summer, I think it’s an easy decision.

I wouldn't do it either but it is an interesting gamble. San Jose and Chicago were so much worse than all other 30 teams that they could improve their club dramatically and would still be bottom 3.

The only way I would do something like that is if I have a shot at a generational player. So if Mckenna was available in the 2025 draft, I would have taken the gamble.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Everything pretty much fell in place for the picks 1 through 4. Quite a gamble trading up for Hage with a low percentage to get him. I thought they had a bank of players they were targeting as opposed to just 1. That's gamblin...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad