Info for fans visiting Buffalo

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Making a night of things for the wife's birthday this weekend and booked the Courtyard Marriot for the night before the Edmonton game.

Can anyone recommend where we can get a full 24 hours of parking nearby? (e.g., arrive and park around 4pm on Friday and be covered until 4pm on Saturday)? Hotel staff was not helpful when I called.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Hi all, I'm actually looking for info on Rochester. My wife and I will be staying in Honeoye and taking a day trip to Rochester. What would be some things to see and do? Most importantly, who has the best New York style pizza in town? We'll be traveling with our dogs so outdoorsy/neighborhoody recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Hi all, I'm actually looking for info on Rochester. My wife and I will be staying in Honeoye and taking a day trip to Rochester. What would be some things to see and do? Most importantly, who has the best New York style pizza in town? We'll be traveling with our dogs so outdoorsy/neighborhoody recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Can take a hike to High Falls.

Reactions: RabidBadger

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Park ave is the hip area and is full of restaurants and bars and is easily walkable.

Pittsford is a really nice area too. It’s outdoorsy and safe. There is a walking path that runs along the Erie canal that is great for pets. Some good restaurants too. Pittsford Dairy is a good place to go for ice cream.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
not sure how long you're in town for ... but Letchworh State Park would be a nice day trip

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
not sure how long you're in town for ... but Letchworh State Park would be a nice day trip

Letchworth is part of our "unfinished business" tour we're doing. My wife and I visited Ithaca a few years ago and didn't have time to squeeze it in so this is our shot. I'm sure we'll find more things to come back to. Upstate NY has become a favorite destination of ours. In my book, it's a much better travel destination than the Upper Peninsula in our state.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Letchworth is part of our "unfinished business" tour we're doing. My wife and I visited Ithaca a few years ago and didn't have time to squeeze it in so this is our shot. I'm sure we'll find more things to come back to. Upstate NY has become a favorite destination of ours. In my book, it's a much better travel destination than the Upper Peninsula in our state.

Next trip should try The Adirondacks

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Putting out a call for recommendations on the best chicken finger subs in the Buffalo area. I’m a vegetarian but my girlfriend and I are visiting Buffalo and it’s at the top of her list of things she wants to try. She wants a good one though.

Any strong opinions on chicken finger subs in the Buffalo area?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Putting out a call for recommendations on the best chicken finger subs in the Buffalo area. I’m a vegetarian but my girlfriend and I are visiting Buffalo and it’s at the top of her list of things she wants to try. She wants a good one though.

I believe they call them Stinger subs there..

Not sure of the best but they were originated at Jim's Steakout

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

John's Pizza makes a great chicken finger sub they've got several locations in the northtowns. As Beerz pointed out Jim's steakout also makes a pretty damn good one as well.

A stinger sub is both chicken fingers and steak and they are absolutely delicious. I highly recommend for anyone who's never tried one.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Thanks! I used to love their subs back in the day, but I don’t think it was a chain back then. I’m curious to see if the quality is still there now that they’ve expanded.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Thanks! I used to love their subs back in the day, but I don’t think it was a chain back then. I’m curious to see if the quality is still there now that they’ve expanded.

My hometown area iui s the tonawanda. I have my regular go to places for wings and subs. Johns is one of them. Therr us ok nd near the boulevard mall. Therf us another one on delawarebor military off the youngman. Francis and plaza are options for pizza/wings and ivr done Wallys fot subs.

For summer as place you could do is niawanda park in the city of tonawanda. Therr is old man rivers and Mississippi muds along the river and both have ice cream stands.

Near there is swistons which has a good beef on weck.

Ted's has hot dogs. They have a veggie option.

Therr was a small bar_ restaurant that closed near the river. Thry had a beef on weck plate with fries and 5 chicken wings

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
John's Pizza makes a great chicken finger sub they've got several locations in the northtowns. As Beerz pointed out Jim's steakout also makes a pretty damn good one as well.

A stinger sub is both chicken fingers and steak and they are absolutely delicious. I highly recommend for anyone who's never tried one.
Thanks! Interesting…lived in Buffalo for 20 years but never heard of a stinger. Is it a newer thing?

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Thanks! Interesting…lived in Buffalo for 20 years but never heard of a stinger. Is it a newer thing?
I'd say relatively. I have nothing to confirm this but I feel like Jim's steakout was probably the first place to start serving it (at least in Buffalo) and has had it on their menu for decades now. I feel like it's become more popular in the pizzeria's and subshops in the Buffalo area over the last 10 years or so.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo

You've got the right recommendations so far - Jim's in the city, John's in the burbs. And daytime Jim's is always superior to nighttime, with Elmwood being the best location.

If you want to sit in a non-sub shop/pizzeria and have a sub for lunch, a good option is Cafe 59 in Allentown. Locally famous for their CFS which are non-traditional because they fry cutlets instead of using Tyson frozen fingers. They also have a large menu with a lot of vegetarian options you'd like.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Onr other thing...

When were you traveling?

Next weekend is Italian festival iirc
The weekend after us thr cabal fest in the city and noth tonawanda along the mouth of the Erie canal which is tonawanda creek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad