Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I totally missed this:

CapGeek ‏@capgeek 48s
Among items that may have been missed yesterday, @helenenothelen reported 2014-15 cap could be as low as $68M due to decline in CDN dollar.

That could have a huge effect on the number of teams that dabble in free agency.

This is awesome, it really rewards the teams that have been financially responsible in giving their own players contracts and the teams that have not made stupid rash UFA signings the past few seasons.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
So Patrick dropped a bit of a bomb in his radio show today, saying in the off-season they'd have to decide on which goalie in LE they're going to keep, and which they're going to trade, and next year they'll need to find an older mentor as the 3rd guy behind Berra for the one they keep because he thinks it's important to have a rotation down there. The implication also sounded like he believes in giving one guy a lot of games to develop.

Starts with 5:05 remaining in the interview.

http://www.1043thefan.com/Channels/EvansKlatt/story.aspx?ID=2137831

He also said that without the acquisition of Berra they were afraid that if Varly goes down they would have to play their 4th and 5th string goalies if Jiggy's back doesn't hold up and with Aittokallio hurt.

So Aitto does seem to be higher up than Pickard and the rest on Roy's depth chart.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
He also said that without the acquisition of Berra they were afraid that if Varly goes down they would have to play their 4th and 5th string goalies if Jiggy's back doesn't hold up and with Aittokallio hurt.

So Aitto does seem to be higher up than Pickard and the rest on Roy's depth chart.

I think this assumption could have been made when they called Aitto up before Pickard earlier in the season when Giggy was hurt.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Good pickup. That's true if we read between the lines a bit. Since he was just talking about Aitto having a concussion, that means he probably views Pickard as the 4th or 5th guy at this point. It's doubtful he would have phrased it like that.

Not to mention Aitto is the guy they've called up twice this year, and Pickard is not.

I'd say Pickard is likely to be the guy shipped out at this point, but the severity of Sami's concussion could possibly come into play.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
More Statsny talk:

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_25288955/paul-stastny-pleased-remain-avs-after-nhl-trade-deadline

This is going to be interesting, or really annoying around here after the season. :laugh:

Of course. It just depends on how it all plays out. If they get him signed to a good contract and he's here long-term, there won't be any complaining. If he ends up walking and we have nothing to show for it, people will be pissed.

I won't be happy if he signs elsewhere but I also don't want him back at a ridiculous UFA price. It would suck to have nothing to show for it but I'd rather the Avs sign some lesser free agents and add more depth to the team if Stastny's demands are too high. Can't just give in and give him whatever he wants just so you don't lose him for nothing. That would be a bigger mistake than letting him it free agency in the first place.

Last edited:

Avs44

May 16, 2011
More Statsny talk:

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_25288955/paul-stastny-pleased-remain-avs-after-nhl-trade-deadline

This is going to be interesting, or really annoying around here after the season. :laugh:

Sounds like the ball is in the Avs camp based off of his comments.

Stastny again said he leaves negotiations to his agent, Matt Keator. "I think both sides know what I want to do, or what's ideal for my family and I," he said. He added, "They know that to me, this is my first option. I think we talked about that and told them how I am."

"I think they know first and foremost that this is where I want to be," he said. " Obviously, I want to stay. We have a good group of guys here. It's more about a how-to-win culture, playing a fun style, and I think when (Patrick Roy) and Joe (Sakic) came along and got their fingerprints on the team, I think a lot of things changed.

In Chicago on Tuesday, Stastny had said he "absolutely" was willing to grant the Avalanche a "discount" in the negotiations. Amplifying on that Thursday, he said, "What's a discount for you, what's a discount for me, what's it for another guy? I don't know," Stastny said. "You hear different numbers. Everyone knows how it works. You go to the open market to a team that needs you more, but if you're in a good position and the team's doing well and you have a good group of guys and there's chemistry, you're willing to take less. ... As I get older, it's about winning and finding the right pieces what whatever you can do down the road to help, you want to."

Avs are going to have to offer him more than the reported 5 million. He wants to be here but I'm not sure how much of a discount he'll take.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Of course. It just depends on how it all plays out. If they get him signed to a good contract and he's here long-term, there won't be any complaining. If he ends up walking and we have nothing to show for it, people will be pissed.

People shouldn't be. This is a calculated risk. From the sounds of it they got no good offers from him and decided to stay pat. People would be more pissed if we got a return like the Islanders got for Vanek because they just had to get value for Stastny.

I don't fully buy the $5m as an exact number. Kypreos said $5m range, that can mean a lot of things. Pretty much every number in the 4.75 to 5.9 range could be in the $5m range depending how it was meant.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I think a discount is the 5.5-6mil range, so in line with what we expect. The Avs are building their own culture, the good players are taking a little below market to stay. That will translate well in the long run.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Avs have put themselves in a situation where they have to get him signed. Letting him walk isn't an option. Unless he wants more than he already has.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Avs have put themselves in a situation where they have to get him signed. Letting him walk isn't an option. Unless he wants more than he already has.

I wouldn't go that far. Would it suck if he walked? Absolutely. Could the Avs move MacK back to center and look for a winger with the 6-6.5m it would save? Quite easily. Vanek, Moulson, Gaborik, Callahan (perfect 2nd line wing to pair with MacK IMO, just would have to overpay), and Cammalleri would all be legtimate options and some would come cheaper than that (some more).

It would hurt, but it wouldn't kill the organization or rebuild if Stastny walked.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If Stastny isn't back, it'll likely be because the Avs refused to overpay him like some other team will do in free agency. So turning around and going after one of those top wingers wouldn't make too much sense IMO. They're going to get overpaid, no doubt about it.

I'd rather have someone like Vrbata, Kulemin, Jokinen, etc. They're not nearly as good as those other wingers but they're still good players who won't cost as much.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If Stastny isn't back, it'll likely be because the Avs refused to overpay him like some other team will do in free agency. So turning around and going after one of those top wingers wouldn't make too much sense IMO. They're going to get overpaid, no doubt about it.

I'd rather have someone like Vrbata, Kulemin, Jokinen, etc. They're not nearly as good as those other wingers but they're still good players who won't cost as much.

If Stastny walks I'd target Kulemin and a guy like Goc. I think they'd both be great fits on the Avs.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If Stastny walks I'd target Kulemin and a guy like Goc. I think they'd both be great fits on the Avs.

Agreed. That would be great.

I'm really hoping the Pens aren't able to re-sign Goc. It's the Pens though, they got him cheap in a trade and they'll probably get him signed to a pretty decent contract.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Vrbata would be alright.

O'Reilly - Duchene - Parenteau
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Vrbata

Get Goc and that leaves
McGinn - Goc - Tanguay
as the third line. Pretty solid if you ask me.

Talbot in the fourth ready to step in when Tangs goes down.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Bob MacKenzie was apparently on the Team 1040(Canucks radio station) and said the Penguins offered Sutter as the centerpiece for Kesler and were willing(how kind) to add Depres or Dumoulin and a 2nd or 3rd round pick. For all the flak Gillis gets, wow, good on him for passing on that miserable offer. Have to question what exactly Shero was thinking. That's an insulting offer, especially after what J.Staal fetched(and Kesler is better than Staal).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

I'm not sure Moulson gets overpaid, but that is possible. The point is that they will have more money to spend where ever they see fit, and they have 3 other top 6 centers in the lineup.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Bob MacKenzie was apparently on the Team 1040(Canucks radio station) and said the Penguins offered Sutter as the centerpiece for Kesler and were willing(how kind) to add Depres or Dumoulin and a 2nd or 3rd round pick. For all the flak Gillis gets, wow, good on him for passing on that miserable offer. Have to question what exactly Shero was thinking. That's an insulting offer, especially after what J.Staal fetched(and Kesler is better than Staal).

Eh, it was worth a try. Reportedly the Canucks said no to Despres and demanded Pouliot, to which the Pens said no. And the Ducks refused to give up a roster player but apparently had 1st and 2nd rounders they were willing to give along with either Rakell or Etem.

I bet Philly follows up on that offer sheet they made all those years ago on Kesler and wins the bidding war. If they offer up Couturier as part of the package they'll get him for sure.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I'm going to guess the rumored young defender Sakic thought he had a deal for was Luke Schenn and when Meszaros was traded the deal was off.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I'm going to guess the rumored young defender Sakic thought he had a deal for was Luke Schenn and when Meszaros was traded the deal was off.

Huh, a deal for a young defenseman? Where?

Eklund said something about Avs kicking tires on Wiercoch in Ottawa.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Huh, a deal for a young defenseman? Where?

Eklund said something about Avs kicking tires on Wiercoch in Ottawa.

Guy at work heard a rumour of a three way with buffalo, stewart to Ottawa, one of Ottawa's young D to Colorado, not sure what would be coming out of Colorado. Doubt there's any truth to it.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
It could have been something involving Ottawa - who they've traded with recently - but fell through after they acquired Hemsky (PAP)?

We'll probably never know unless the Avs go after the player down the road.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008

They got Sutter and Dumoulin in the Staal deal. The only difference is the picks. It's not really that far off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad